IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled over in your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 05:58 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've gotten away with a lot of speeding tickets before because of the fact that I told the cop up front that I have a loaded firearm in the car and gave them my license...cops down South Florida respect that because of all the cop killings in the past couple years...that got me out of at least 10 tickets literally....

1)As far ar the most expensive tickets...I got pulled over doing 130 before in my Maxima driving from South FLorida to Georgia...that was $500 court fees not points tho thanx to lawyer

2) 155 mph on my ZX9 bike riding to central Fl which would have been close to $2000 but got thrown out because cop messed up the ticked...thanx to lawyer again
Old 02-11-13, 09:17 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heyarms
+1 on this method, i do it all the time. Although it never really helps...

I usually get "who's car is this?" from the cops and "are you sure it's your car?", which really offends me. I really dont care for police officers, and their attitudes towards me always just adds to my negative feelings. Luckily I'm working on my longest streak ever without a ticket
thats funny i get the same questions, this one cop asked me if its paid off....im like what does that have to do with anything?

Originally Posted by iRyan
I've gotten away with a lot of speeding tickets before because of the fact that I told the cop up front that I have a loaded firearm in the car and gave them my license...cops down South Florida respect that because of all the cop killings in the past couple years...that got me out of at least 10 tickets literally....

1)As far ar the most expensive tickets...I got pulled over doing 130 before in my Maxima driving from South FLorida to Georgia...that was $500 court fees not points tho thanx to lawyer

2) 155 mph on my ZX9 bike riding to central Fl which would have been close to $2000 but got thrown out because cop messed up the ticked...thanx to lawyer again
damn $2k.....thats crazy
Old 02-11-13, 12:50 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Haven't been pulled over in the 2IS yet. But I'm guessing when I do it will be for "excessive acceleration". Gotta love the 350 with the 4.10 final drive! LOL
Old 02-11-13, 01:41 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It was finals week for me at college and i drove out a little late from home. While I was trying to get to class on time i was hitting 55 in a 45 zone and chasing a guy on a bike for the fun of it. I ended up cutting a car off and there happened to be a cop right around the corner. When he pulled me over asked me the regular questions they ask and took my papers, just like the guy that started this thread my insurance card was expired he fined me for that and unsafe lane change. My TOTAL FINE IS COSTING ME $1,095.00. That's how stupid the CA police are.
Old 02-11-13, 02:13 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't been pulled over in the IS yet, but it is only a matter of time until my tints get me in trouble lol. I've had very postive interactions with cops & some very negative ones, including one where I could have had a lawsuit against them but being a high school kid at the time I didn't know. When I had my NSX, I recall getting some nasty staredowns from cops

Originally Posted by lysis250
My TOTAL FINE IS COSTING ME $1,095.00. That's how stupid the CA laws are.
Old 02-11-13, 02:15 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pulled over here in Portland, Oregon for my window tint when I had ALL four windows rolled down!
Old 02-11-13, 02:39 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

In my old Accord I got pulled over for 95mph in 55 construction. Thought I was going to jail but the first thing the officer said when I rolled down my window was "You do realize you can take a stop/safety class in place of this ticket..." - easy choice for me. It probably helped I was following a train of cars on the highway and we all got pulled over in a large speed trap (made the news actually) - 10 cars altogether, I was 7 or 8 in line. The first cop car in line was one of those nice super cop cars intended for those high speed chases. Was pretty cool to see. If I find the ticket & news clip will post. There were complaints by people that cops had gotten lax on this stretch of highway (and this was true) as people were coming through at 80-100mph daily.

In either case, haven't been pulled over in the IS yet and I do generally drive faster than I ever have now. It's so easy in the 350 to coast at 80mph and think you're doing 60. Utilizing cruise control much more these days.

One thing I don't get - how are people getting tickets still for not wearing a seatbelt? Are they so troublesome you just don't put it on by habit? I actually don't feel comfortable leaving my driveway without it on. Heck I don't leave my driveway with passengers that don't have their seatbelts on. Safety first guys (OK, I'll step down now).
Old 02-11-13, 03:51 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyLai
I got pulled over here in Portland, Oregon for my window tint when I had ALL four windows rolled down!
How the hell did they manage that?
Old 02-11-13, 05:14 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mashina- That must've been a big relief. Definitely a cool officer for giving you a warning.

I agree that telling the truth goes a long way.

In my previous IS250 last year, after leaving a roof top bar, after 12am, I knew I was being followed by a California High Patrol, telling by the headlights, looking at the inside rear-view mirror. I told my fiance that there's a CHP following me, so she started to worry for me.

After about a minute of following me, he flashed his lights to pull me over. It took me a couple of minutes to find a good spot to pull over, onto a lit surface street, with it being dark and all.

After we pulled over and parked, he came out and walked over to my window. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going, and I replied "I was going about 70mph", he replied back with "You were going faster that." I was, I suppose, moments before he started following me. But I was really following another car at a good distance, but maybe my HID's and Yellow fogs attracted him.

Then he said he smelled alcohol on me, and asked If I had anything to drink. I replied "I had a boot of strawberry daquiri." He gave me an odd look, and asked "How long ago?" I replied "About over an hour ago." He then told me to get out of the car, onto the sidewalk.

He asked me to walk in a straight line, which I did, with no problems. He then made me do a "follow-the-pen-with-your-eyes-without-moving-your-head" vision test, which I did, with no problems.

He said he'll give me a warning this time, and to slow down and don't drink and drive.

I got back to my car and my fiance was already calling her parents to pick her up, and to drive my car back as she thought of the worst case scenario.

I felt very fortunate after that, and I definitely don't speed as much as I used to. Oh, and the boot of daquiri was actually a glass in the shape of a boot.
Old 02-11-13, 05:16 PM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I got pulled over the first day I bought my Lexus. $795 speeding ticket for 91 in a 65 on the freeway. That sucked.
Old 02-11-13, 06:14 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Some hefty fines here. Well last time I got pulled over was 08. I was doing 82 in a 65. 6 am on a sat where there was no one but me and and apparently this chp on the freeway lol. I told him obviously I was wrong but no one is here so yea... I got a ticket. Oh well I was excited it was only 186 and paid it happily. Only way I don't get a ticket is if I don't get pulled over.
Old 02-11-13, 06:41 PM
dong888
Pole Position

This just happened on 2/16 1:30AM, going back home after playing MJ with my friends and cruising on I880. Going at around 80 MPH and noticed red parking light at the entrance ramp (mission blvd) and I knew that was a cop car parking there since I saw it many times before. It was sitting higher than highway level so most car don't notice it. Slowed down to 65MPH and cruised for about half mile and passed the cop. Saw the cop car started to move and knew he was after me and pulled me over into the weighing station. First time that I actually went into that station.

Cop: Good morning.
me: Good morning sir.
Cop: we clocked you going at 82MPH and then slowed down to 55MPH. Do you know that?
me: I was not aware of it.
Cop: Do you have a radar detector in the car.
me: nope, I dont have one. (the other officer was using flash light to check out the inside and outside of the car.
Cop: Where did you come from?
me: I was coming back from my friend's place.
Cop: How many drink do you have tonight?
me: No. I don't drink. (notice how he asked the question -> instead of saying did you have any drink tonight)
Cop: Do you have driver license.
me: Yes (and hand him my driver license).

He then looked at my driver license and wrote something down. I thought he was going to give me a ticket. (Here in CA, a speeding ticket can easily cost $500.00), but he handed me back my driver license and told me to drive safely. Before I can put in my license back to my wallet, I looked up and the two officers jumped into his car and drive off really fast. You can call that "drag racing", lol

Later the night of the same day, going to my friends place celebrating CNY eve, I was driving my wife's Highlander and accidentally ran a red light and was caught by red light camera (another $500 ticket there); my wife was freaking out and I told her that we don't have our license plate on (new car) so it should not be a problem. I doubt they can issue ticket without plates. If they can, I gotta hand it to the police department for doing a great job.

How's that for a story?
Old 02-11-13, 06:42 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my IS in New Orleans and headed to Biloxi for the night. My dad was following me back. As we are driving along I see the reflection of police stickers sitting in the median. I was only doing about 5mph over the speed limit, but had a bad feeling. As my dad passes him he pulls out. He catches up to us and sits just off my rear bumper for a mile or so. After that he tucks in behind me and waits until we get to a weigh station and kicks on his blue light. I pull in and wait. Long story short - he could not read the temp tag taped to the back window. He told me to have a safe drive and let me go.
Old 02-11-13, 07:56 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

My dad got a ticket for MY tints because he was driving (17% Front, 10% Back). After that, i got a eye doctor's note for dark tints. And i got a speeding ticket for 89 in a 65, i was doing 100 but slowed down to 89 before i was caught. $220 ticket and it happened last august. That's about it......
Old 02-11-13, 10:05 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Originally Posted by greg0126
How the hell did they manage that?
The officer said he can tell by my rear window...which I kinda thought was outrageous but my window tint was dark. I asked him to use a light meter to test my tint but he said he could tell by looking at it.

Quick Reply: Pulled over in your IS?