IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS on a Corolla frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 09:38 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
A link talking about the differences in design between a Corolla and an IS? Not really, no. You'd have to research the suspension and frame designs of both models, but a few quick points:

In a Corolla the engine is mounted transversely (sideways), IS is longitudinally mounted (lengthwise).
Corolla is front wheel drive, IS is rear wheel drive (or AWD with a transfer case mounted behind the transmission).
Corolla front suspension is a McPherson strut setup, IS uses a double wishbone design.
Corolla rear suspension is a torsion-bar semi-independent axle beam, IS uses a multilink independent rear suspension.

Other than things like switches and bolts, they share nothing in common. I can post some diagrams and dimensional differences if you'd like.

Jeff
Thanks for the reply Jeff. No need to invest that much time. I just wanted some homework for myself.
Old 01-21-13, 09:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Thanks for the reply Jeff. No need to invest that much time. I just wanted some homework for myself.
well aren't you just the odd duckling of CL. Most people who post on here expect an answer in minutes and want it delivered on a silver (or CF) platter. Props to you sir, we need more like you on these boards
Old 01-21-13, 09:59 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well aren't you just the odd duckling of CL. Most people who post on here expect and answer in minutes and want it delivered on a silver (or CF) platter. Props to you sir, we need more like you on these boards
Indeed. We sponsor a lot of forums and just today there was a guy posting how the LS is just an Avalon and he was being serious as he was hating on the brand. Even when he was corrected he held on to the theory.

I've seen IS is a Corolla just b/c of size as well as the HS. No Lexus has ever been Corolla based.

Enthusiasts.
Old 01-22-13, 06:39 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Models of Lexus that share chassis designs with Toyota models in North America: RX, LX, GX, ES. The CT and HS share some designs with other Toyota models, but they're kind of a mix of designs, like Prius V/RAV4 front suspension and Scion tC rear suspension, etc.

The JZA80 Supra shared some design with other Lexus models back in the 90's, but that's not really current.

Most Lexus models are on their own platforms, and ones that do share platforms with Toyota models are usually quite different as well. It's not like a Cavalier/Sunfire.

Jeff
Old 01-22-13, 08:55 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A link talking about the differences in design between a Corolla and an IS? Not really, no. You'd have to research the suspension and frame designs of both models, but a few quick points:

In a Corolla the engine is mounted transversely (sideways), IS is longitudinally mounted (lengthwise).
Corolla is front wheel drive, IS is rear wheel drive (or AWD with a transfer case mounted behind the transmission).
Corolla front suspension is a McPherson strut setup, IS uses a double wishbone design.
Corolla rear suspension is a torsion-bar semi-independent axle beam, IS uses a multilink independent rear suspension.

Other than things like switches and bolts, they share nothing in common. I can post some diagrams and dimensional differences if you'd like.

Jeff
Models of Lexus that share chassis designs with Toyota models in North America: RX, LX, GX, ES. The CT and HS share some designs with other Toyota models, but they're kind of a mix of designs, like Prius V/RAV4 front suspension and Scion tC rear suspension, etc.

The JZA80 Supra shared some design with other Lexus models back in the 90's, but that's not really current.

Most Lexus models are on their own platforms, and ones that do share platforms with Toyota models are usually quite different as well. It's not like a Cavalier/Sunfire.

Jeff
I just learned so much in one thread. I remember why I like reading through these threads.
Old 01-22-13, 09:49 AM
tenaciousF
Rookie

The IS and GS are based off the awesome RWD Toyota Mark X in Japan. Tell your colleague to go read a book
"The Mark X is the successor to the Mark II which was first introduced in 1968, was known in the North American market as the Corona Mark II starting in 1972 and the Cressida from 1977 to 1992 and was the predecessor to the introduction of Lexus."

My first car was a blue 71 Corona Mk II coupe, now I'm in a blue IS. Full circle I guess.
Old 01-22-13, 11:10 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the Lexus HS is based off of a corolla?
2IS? Not even close. Nothing Toyota about the car. Pure Lexus

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-22-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 11:14 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Isnt the HS based off the Prius?

Even if, they are ALL Toyotas at the end of the day
Old 01-22-13, 11:44 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

No, the HS is not based on the Corolla. The chassis shares similar features with several other Toyota/Lexus models, but not specifically the Corolla. As I said, the front suspension is similar to the Corolla/Scion xB/Prius V, etc., however in the rear it uses the independent suspension that was only used on the HS at the time (it's since been used on the CT200h and Scion tC). The CT200h and HS250h are both kind of a mishmash of Toyota/Lexus parts bins thrown together in a way that gives them nicer handling characteristics than most other models that use the same components.

The LX is probably the only model that has an almost direct Toyota equivalent in North America, that being the Land Cruiser. The GX is similar in many ways to the 4Runner. The RX platform is very similar to the Highlander (though the RX was introduced before the Highlander originally). The ES is somewhat similar to the Camry, but the rest of the car is so very different, even though they shared chassis codes in the past (they no longer do). Other than the LX, I don't think you can really point at any Lexus models and say "that's the same as a Toyota _______".

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-22-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 02:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

HS uses chassis of European Avensis, which is premium Toyota sedan in Europe.
Old 01-22-13, 03:47 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by spwolf
HS uses chassis of European Avensis, which is premium Toyota sedan in Europe.
It is quite similar.

If you are going to go outside of North America, you start to find other models badged as Toyotas that are more similar to Lexus models. (GX = Land Cruiser Prado, RX = Harrier, etc., then you can bring in the other RWD Toyotas like the Mark, Chaser, Cresta, etc., and so on).

Things can escalate quickly if you move to a global scale, that's all I'm saying, heh.

Jeff
Old 01-22-13, 04:11 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the CT?
Old 01-23-13, 12:50 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

well aren't you just the odd duckling of CL. Most people who post on here expect an answer in minutes and want it delivered on a silver (or CF) platter. Props to you sir, we need more like you on these boards
Thanks for the kind words Hoovey.

Thanks for the replies everyone, learned a lot. I didn't really put much thought about Lexus being a re-badge Toyota. It was just that one conversation with someone that made me more curious and I wanted to confirm what I was told. All I know is I like my car and it's been very good to me. I still get compliments almost every day about my car from all shorts of people.