IS250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 06:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BrucePhlly
I was about to have it towed... read your post. Pressed the gas to the floor hard, held it there, hit start..... turn turn turn zooooom!!!
That's the way to clear a flooded engine. Glad it worked!
Old 12-28-15, 09:58 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4n50n
Don't think its alternator cause I can't even jump start the car. And I believe the dealership has tested it too.
If you still have not gotten your car fixed yet. Same thing happened to me. Turns out it was a bad Fuel pressure sensor. Dealer said the reason it will try to crank, then die, then it won't crank anymore is because the car goes into "safety" mode to prevent damage to the engine.
Old 03-04-16, 07:15 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be having this issue but my car is manual would i need to hold all 3 pedals or just the clutch and the gas pedal?
Old 04-17-16, 09:32 AM
jkm1970
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power was turned on & left on for about 2 hours (I forgot & walked off) & when I wanted to go to the store, it won't start. I have power (lights on, check completef, etc., but break is hard & car won't start. I loosen the battery & tighten again after 2 hours but won't start either. There's a clicking sound when I push the start button but won't start. PLEASE HELP!
Old 10-05-16, 12:56 PM
Mikeg1573
Driver School Candidate

Default 08 is250 won't start

Originally Posted by agarcia
I posted what my issues was. Sorry for the delay
. Good evening. Garcia I have same issue my wife was driving the car fine next day in the morning was gonna take the car won't start I bought new battery noting new gas cap noting I clean the negative cable ground noting won't start.can you help me with this matter thanks
Old 07-26-18, 03:28 PM
dajj
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Your solution is awesome. Thanks

The solution: I am quoting the mechanic here " Press down both brake and throttle as far as both will go, then press the start button/turn the key" This forces air through to "unflood" the system. After a couple of seconds, the engine will turn over

I hope this helps anyone else looking to see why their car mysteriously won't start. Message me if you have questions!
I had the same problem and I tried your solution and, boom, the car started. Thank you very much. You made my day.
Old 12-17-18, 07:09 PM
Brandom15
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sceptre
If you still have not gotten your car fixed yet. Same thing happened to me. Turns out it was a bad Fuel pressure sensor. Dealer said the reason it will try to crank, then die, then it won't crank anymore is because the car goes into "safety" mode to prevent damage to the engine.
I have a 2008 is250 rwd 6 spd, I driven the car for the pass 3 yrs never had a problem until 6 months ago I had to replace the fuel pump. Car ran great again. Untill last week this happens to me. My car didnt start 2 days without use. The car tried to start but didnt seem to make it over the hill, turned off and then wont crank or try, just all the lights stay on, even the green ignition light is on when I push the clutch all the way in. I though it was the starter so i replaced it, nothing. If I leave it sitting for a day and try it again same thing happens tries to start doesnt make it over and no crank after. I have tried what some said fuses all good, ground cable good, engine flooded doesnt work. Idk what else to do. Really dont want to take it to the dealer. Can someone help out??
Old 12-18-18, 10:54 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandom15
I have a 2008 is250 rwd 6 spd, I driven the car for the pass 3 yrs never had a problem until 6 months ago I had to replace the fuel pump. Car ran great again. Untill last week this happens to me. My car didnt start 2 days without use. The car tried to start but didnt seem to make it over the hill, turned off and then wont crank or try, just all the lights stay on, even the green ignition light is on when I push the clutch all the way in. I though it was the starter so i replaced it, nothing. If I leave it sitting for a day and try it again same thing happens tries to start doesnt make it over and no crank after. I have tried what some said fuses all good, ground cable good, engine flooded doesnt work. Idk what else to do. Really dont want to take it to the dealer. Can someone help out??
Any CELs?

Three keys needs to turn over a motor :

1) air
2) fuel
3) spark

Air is going to be simple; but just be sure your sensors and connectors are all connected and tight.

Check each spark plug for moisture (fuel) and replace as needed.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-19, 03:36 PM
Fernlexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brandom15
Did you figure out a fix or what was wrong? Mine is doing the same thing. Tried everything mentioned. I don’t want to tow it and am running out of solutions.
Old 02-10-19, 12:57 PM
skyblueis
Driver School Candidate

Default Flood

Originally Posted by dajj
I had the same problem and I tried your solution and, boom, the car started. Thank you very much. You made my day.
i had the same problem and this worked right away,now check engine light is on?and traction control
icon is lit up on lower right panel
Old 02-11-19, 05:12 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem as everyone above. I replaced my battery, nope, didn't work. I then replaced my fuel pressure sensor. At first, I was having issues getting it started but after about 4 cranks, it started up. Sputtered a little but after it went through the cycle of learning the new fuel curve, it is running great. While I was in there, I did the spark plugs as well. I figured, might as well because you have to remove the intake manifold just to do that as well.

Overall the process wasn't that hard actually. Just have the right tools with you and probably would have taken me about 2 hrs start to finish.
Old 02-27-19, 05:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was a very strange issue. To summarize, I pulled my car out of the garage to clean the garage. When I was done, I pulled the car back into the garage. This was for Thanksgiving mind you, so a bit chilly here in Colorado. Six hours later I went to start the car and it would not start. NO clicking sound, NO dead battery. The engine sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't have the juice to completely turn.

Here is a list of things I did and checked:
Attempted a Jump from a friend (so many people suggested bad battery or alternator) - No Go
Checked the ground - Ground was fine
Checked fuel pump fuses - All good
Checked spark plugs - All good
Tried about 10 times in a month's period to get her started - no go

This lead me to believe it was a fuel line or fuel pump issue. Being that the pump is inside the fuel tank, I decided to have my car towed to the dealership (Car is still under factory warranty). I should have done this or called and talked to an actual mechanic in the first place there. The service lady initially told me dead battery... again NOT the issue!

The car was at the dealership for 10 minutes before they called me and told me my car was up and running! The issue..... Engine was Flooded!!! The reason they knew is from the moment I got off the phone with the service manager? My story, pulled the car from the drive way to the garage in cold weather for a 10 second period of time. They have this happen alot here in Colorado and cooler climates. They themselves will pull a person's car around for pickup, the owner will go out to their car to start it, and the car won't start after just being worked on! The short time period that the car is running and turned off floods the engine.

The solution: I am quoting the mechanic here " Press down both brake and throttle as far as both will go, then press the start button/turn the key" This forces air through to "unflood" the system. After a couple of seconds, the engine will turn over

I hope this helps anyone else looking to see why their car mysteriously won't start. Message me if you have questions!
Thank you!!!! I just had this happen to me. Car was parked outside yesterday. I started it, pulled it into the garage and shut it down. I try to start it today and it sputters and sputters and dies down. I even ended up discharging my battery and ran and had the battery exchanged under warranty @ autozone.

With the new battery in place, I did a OBD scan and got no faults. I then do a google search and this thread and your post shows up. I follow what your lexus mechanic told you - press down on brake and gas pedal all the way and start. First time, it did not work. Second time - vrroooom!!
The following users liked this post:
nathanielchapman501 (04-15-24)
Old 04-18-19, 12:45 PM
Buck2219
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake light switch brake light switch brake light switch (brake light switch)

If you car is having issues / check n see if the brake lights are coming on if not it prob the brake light switch
My 2009 car suddenly won't start. It was 8 hours prior that it started up fine. It sounds like the engine wants to turn over but doesn't. It does not sound like a dead battery, the typical clicking you hear. I also don't think the battery is an issue as everything works and turns on. I read that maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn over. I had some one try to jump me just in case. That did not work. The steering wheel is not stiff or stuck in a locked position. The start button light does turn green when I step on the break as usual. I noticed the brake is a little stiff initially, but as soon as the car tries to start, the pressure is released. Here are some recommendations I've gotten from non-Lexus owners.

-Spark Plugs
-Block in the Fuel Lines
-Power Steering Pump is out (I don't know why this would have anything to do with it, but I'm not good with cars)
-Bad Fuel Pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my car just came out of warranty and I don't want to tow it to the dealership just for something as simple as spark plugs. Thanks!
Old 11-24-19, 09:32 AM
PaulCruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a very strange issue. To summarize, I pulled my car out of the garage to clean the garage. When I was done, I pulled the car back into the garage. This was for Thanksgiving mind you, so a bit chilly here in Colorado. Six hours later I went to start the car and it would not start. NO clicking sound, NO dead battery. The engine sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't have the juice to completely turn.

Here is a list of things I did and checked:
Attempted a Jump from a friend (so many people suggested bad battery or alternator) - No Go
Checked the ground - Ground was fine
Checked fuel pump fuses - All good
Checked spark plugs - All good
Tried about 10 times in a month's period to get her started - no go

This lead me to believe it was a fuel line or fuel pump issue. Being that the pump is inside the fuel tank, I decided to have my car towed to the dealership (Car is still under factory warranty). I should have done this or called and talked to an actual mechanic in the first place there. The service lady initially told me dead battery... again NOT the issue!

The car was at the dealership for 10 minutes before they called me and told me my car was up and running! The issue..... Engine was Flooded!!! The reason they knew is from the moment I got off the phone with the service manager? My story, pulled the car from the drive way to the garage in cold weather for a 10 second period of time. They have this happen alot here in Colorado and cooler climates. They themselves will pull a person's car around for pickup, the owner will go out to their car to start it, and the car won't start after just being worked on! The short time period that the car is running and turned off floods the engine.

i have a 09 is250 and its doing the same thing is it supposed to work on the first try because i tried 3 times but it didnt work
TheCoollex (11-30-19)
Old 11-30-19, 06:47 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I posted what my issues was. Sorry for the delay
this just saved a big bill for our 09 IS. Thanks!
TheCoollex (11-30-19)

Quick Reply: IS250 won't start