IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 01:24 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

You can check your ignition fuses in the engine bay! I accidentally took one out when testing my boost gauge and without the fuse (or if it blew) the engine just turns and turns and turns, could also be something to look at.

If you know it's the fuel pump/filter, I apologize for the recommendations haha. Good luck!
Old 12-24-12, 09:03 PM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agarcia
It sounds like the engine wants to turn over but doesn't.
So, does the engine attempt to turn over? Like the battery does not have enough juice? Or is there just a click?

If the battery is good (a cheap voltmeter is only a few dollars), and attempting a jump didn't help its not a battery problem.

If there is a click, and the engine is attempting to spin, then maybe the starter is bad. Or hopefully just the relay is not working properly to power up the starter motor.

The starter relay "can" still make a clicking sound and be bad. This has nothing to do with spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc.
Old 12-31-12, 02:17 AM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morelouso
Sounds like you may have a loose ground.
you have a loose ground!!!!!
Old 01-02-13, 01:59 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

did you solve the problem?i have a 2007 is250 doing the samething as yours.
Old 01-07-13, 07:30 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default Up and Running!!!

This was a very strange issue. To summarize, I pulled my car out of the garage to clean the garage. When I was done, I pulled the car back into the garage. This was for Thanksgiving mind you, so a bit chilly here in Colorado. Six hours later I went to start the car and it would not start. NO clicking sound, NO dead battery. The engine sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't have the juice to completely turn.

Here is a list of things I did and checked:
Attempted a Jump from a friend (so many people suggested bad battery or alternator) - No Go
Checked the ground - Ground was fine
Checked fuel pump fuses - All good
Checked spark plugs - All good
Tried about 10 times in a month's period to get her started - no go

This lead me to believe it was a fuel line or fuel pump issue. Being that the pump is inside the fuel tank, I decided to have my car towed to the dealership (Car is still under factory warranty). I should have done this or called and talked to an actual mechanic in the first place there. The service lady initially told me dead battery... again NOT the issue!

The car was at the dealership for 10 minutes before they called me and told me my car was up and running! The issue..... Engine was Flooded!!! The reason they knew is from the moment I got off the phone with the service manager? My story, pulled the car from the drive way to the garage in cold weather for a 10 second period of time. They have this happen alot here in Colorado and cooler climates. They themselves will pull a person's car around for pickup, the owner will go out to their car to start it, and the car won't start after just being worked on! The short time period that the car is running and turned off floods the engine.

The solution: I am quoting the mechanic here " Press down both brake and throttle as far as both will go, then press the start button/turn the key" This forces air through to "unflood" the system. After a couple of seconds, the engine will turn over

I hope this helps anyone else looking to see why their car mysteriously won't start. Message me if you have questions!
Old 01-07-13, 07:31 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 98$c300
did you solve the problem?i have a 2007 is250 doing the samething as yours.
I posted what my issues was. Sorry for the delay
Old 01-07-13, 07:55 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad you got it work again.
Old 01-15-13, 06:48 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Well got the problem fixed.it seem like the pump in the tank had a short.and didn't work all the time.it also would mess with the fuel pump relay.the car would only start when it wanted to.i swapped out the fuel pump.problem solved!!
Old 10-13-14, 07:47 AM
gregars
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for posting

Thanks for Posting this and what the solution was. You probably saved me $500 for towing and diagnostics. Same thing happened to my wife's 2008 IS250.
She backed it out of the garage and into the driveway, 6 hours later went out to start and it would not. It sounded funny when we tried to start it, but this is probably because we had never heard her car not start right up, and it was a "new" sound.
Put the accelerator to the floor and cranked. It took two separate 15 second cranks, but it started! Thanks again. Hopefully this is the end of this issue...... there have been a few with this car.
Old 03-02-15, 05:51 AM
mroberman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!!!

This happened to my car this morning. In about 20 degree weather, pulled out my 2006 IS250 out of the garage into the driveway for a few minutes last night, turned it off and let it sit for 10 mins while I was working on some other stuff and then pulled it back into the garage. This morning, about 10 hours later, I go to start the car and it sounds like it's about to start but it won't. Thanks to this thread it saved me the hassle of getting it towed. I pressed the gas all the way down and after a few seconds it started up. Ran rough for a few seconds, flashed the CHECK VSC, and then after a few more seconds all is well. Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (03-22-22)
Old 03-02-15, 08:52 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

seem like our cars does not like the cold
Old 10-08-15, 07:27 PM
4n50n
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP!!!!! 2007 IS250 RWD Won't start

OK! My 2007 IS250 RWD won't start now!
This happened since the winter in January. It was very cold here in Ottawa about -30 to -40 celsius. Car was sitting outside during my working hours (8 hours). Car got started normal but very cold and stiff of course. I was in a hurry so I didn't let it warm up much and drove away. Within 3km car stalled. I had to try couple times to restart it. Thinking it was just the cold and maybe I should hop on the highway to crank it up. Bad call, I got stalled again on highway and battery drained real fast in the cold weather hence the car wouldn't be able to start again and needed to be towed.

Towed to my friend's garage car wouldn't even jump start. In few days he changed spark plugs, battery, even the ignition button. Car started fine again. It was fine the whole summer. Now in fall the temperature stayed around 10 celsius the car acting up again. It would start ok and I managed to back out from my drive way then stalled and I had to fight with it for good 15-30 minutes to get it start again. When I tried to start it the engine wouldn't even crank most of the time. I tried that "brake and throttle trick" it wouldn't work.

Last week the car just won't start anymore. It may crank once if I leave it long enough then most of the time no crank. Finally decided to tow it to the local dealership in the hope that they should be able to fix it or at least found out what's the issue. After they spent 2 days, total 3 hours, they told me that the car still won't start and they don't know what causes the issue. I was charged $420 for nothing. The only way to have time continue checking is to agree to pay them $120 an hour for diagnostic. What a ripoff!

The car has only 115,000km and is now worthless as garbage. I really just wanna get it up and running again and get rid of it as soon as I can. Lexus really disappointed me and I really don't wanna get another Lexus anymore.

And I just polished the headlights...
Old 10-09-15, 01:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Alternator?
Old 10-09-15, 08:35 PM
4n50n
Driver School Candidate

Don't think its alternator cause I can't even jump start the car. And I believe the dealership has tested it too.
Old 11-28-15, 06:27 PM
BrucePhlly
Driver School Candidate

Thank You!!!

I started and moved the car... ran it for less than one minute. Next morning......would not start. Car would turn and turn, just not catch.

I was about to have it towed... read your post. Pressed the gas to the floor hard, held it there, hit start..... turn turn turn zooooom!!!

Thanx again!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: IS250 won't start