IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 09:59 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Where's the list of phones? I have an AT&T Sky Rocket, which I beleive is a Galaxy II phone.
So I don't like AT&T one bit but I got many PM's on this skyrocket. aka galaxy II. Yesterday I was going to see if it would work via a buddies SGII but I forgot my cable at home so today he is coming by for us to see if it indeed works.
Stay tuned.
Old 09-07-12, 11:54 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Updated the OP with review vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EBvaKx3EJ8
Nice review vid. Thanks!

On the ML+ version, I noticed that if you hold down the talk button on the steering wheel (in conjunction with activating Siri on the iPhone) there is partial (and probably inadvertent) integration with Siri. Is there any crossover between the "talk" button on the steering wheel and the Android phone? If so, could you demonstrate?

Thanks again for your hard work! Its appreciated!
Old 09-10-12, 08:37 AM
Nilism
Rookie

Hey CCJ22,
nice demo! You answered a lot of my questions. I noticed your daily driver phone is a Galaxy Nexus, as it was on the seat next to you. Can you get organized to show a demo of how the MHL setup on the G Nexus would work?

Also can you confirm the ViasTech is fully MHL complaint, transfering audio/video AND charging the phone?
Old 09-10-12, 10:07 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
Nice review vid. Thanks!

On the ML+ version, I noticed that if you hold down the talk button on the steering wheel (in conjunction with activating Siri on the iPhone) there is partial (and probably inadvertent) integration with Siri. Is there any crossover between the "talk" button on the steering wheel and the Android phone? If so, could you demonstrate?

Originally Posted by Nilism
Hey CCJ22,
nice demo! You answered a lot of my questions. I noticed your daily driver phone is a Galaxy Nexus, as it was on the seat next to you. Can you get organized to show a demo of how the MHL setup on the G Nexus would work?

Also can you confirm the ViasTech is fully MHL complaint, transfering audio/video AND charging the phone?
I'll work on this for you two this week when I find time. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 09-11-12, 07:56 PM
Kasim
Pit Crew

Dude with the gun in your compartment??? (from 3:10)

When i'm in Miami, i'll be staying away from your ride

Nice video,
Thanx.

Last edited by Kasim; 09-11-12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 11:04 PM
dtd80
Rookie

Great review! Ruger LC9?
Old 09-13-12, 11:30 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
Nice review vid. Thanks!

Update, this doesn't work at all. When touching the talk button it launches the OEM voice commnads HOWEVER, if Vaistech can get the next track and previous track buttons... I think they could get the talk button to launch the google voice search app. I think that would be a great idea and I've sent them this email but the more people that ask for it the more they'd implement this.
Originally Posted by Nilism
Hey CCJ22,

I can confirm that the MHL does everything it should on a galaxy SIII. ON my nexus, however, I can't get the phone to play nice with the mirroring mode. Vaistech is looking into this actually.
Originally Posted by Kasim
Dude with the gun in your compartment??? (from 3:10)

When i'm in Miami, i'll be staying away from your ride

Nice video,
Thanx.
Hehehe, yea one is my CC along with a glock 19 which wasn't in the vid.
Originally Posted by dtd80
Great review! Ruger LC9?
Thanks! And close. IT's a ruger LCP I love it for CC. It's so small yet holds enough hollow points in 380 form that will do all I need should my life be in danger.
Old 09-13-12, 11:33 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I also am updating the OP...
I just got an update from vaistech to turn my IVIC into the form factor that customers will receive.
So that means I now have the forward and previous track control (which works great with the android RAZR that I typically use on this device)
And my unit now seems "snappier/sharper" it seems to detect my finger much better. Hard to explain. But I see an improvement.
I need to make a more polished video this weekend showing more features I've discovered.

such as, if the phones MEDIA volume is turned down all the way the music still plays at the volume set at the setup process. I love that feature.
Old 09-17-12, 01:04 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

*Update*
Just got my AV cables... Installing tomorrow. I'll make video for you all of course
Old 09-18-12, 10:34 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

*Update*
Just got my AV cables... Installing tomorrow. I'll make video for you all of course
Sweet! Thanks for all your informative reviews/videos. They are appreciated!
Old 09-21-12, 07:40 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

*Update*
Preface: If I use this device, I'll be using my phone as a MP3 player (in replacement of my iPod Touch).

If you get a chance could you talk about what media players you use and maybe talk about them in the video? For example, do you use a MP3 player that plays FLAC, allows you to rate songs, create playlists, etc., and if so how does that non-stock music player integrate with the device (i.e. can u still use the steering wheel controls, what about beats audio or eq settings, etc).

Quick commentary: Never thought it would be so difficult to get off my iPod Touch as my music/media player, but it's hard to find an application that syncs with my computer, plays lossless audio, and allows me to rate songs and create playlists. If you have suggestions please PM me...I don't want to get this thread too far off topic, but I'm also curious if the iVIC can handle non-stock android media players.

Thanks for your time and help; It's VERY much appreciated!
Old 09-22-12, 06:48 PM
all06is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compatible Phones

Just installed this. Its pretty badass. but it doesn't work with the HTC Evo 4G

My HTC Evo 3d kinda works, it shows up on the screen but you cant use the screen to control the phone. I knew i was taking a risk since the 3d was not on the compatible list.
Upgrading to Galaxy SIII soon enough.

Compatible Android phones:

Motorola:

Droid Razr
Droid Razr Maxx
Droid Bionic
Droid x2

Samsung:

Galaxy Note
Galaxy SIII

HTC:

EVO 4G LTE

Incompatible
HTC EVO 4G

[Semi compatible] shows on screen but must control from phone.
HTC EVO 3D

You can view the list here: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/iVIC-droid.php[/quote]

Last edited by all06is350; 09-22-12 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-22-12, 09:21 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Group buy?
Old 09-22-12, 09:53 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by all06is350
Just installed this. Its pretty badass. but it doesn't work with the HTC Evo 4G

My HTC Evo 3d kinda works, it shows up on the screen but you cant use the screen to control the phone. I knew i was taking a risk since the 3d was not on the compatible list.
Upgrading to Galaxy SIII soon enough.

You can view the list here: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/iVIC-droid.php
[/QUOTE]

That's a bummer since that's the phone I have, but to be honest I might have to dump the Android platform (and I'm an Android fanboy). I've tried 5 different media players, purchased several different Equalizers, etc. and I just can't make it sound as good as my iPod touch (even after consulting with some of the developers in the XDA forums).

I went as far as blindfolding my friends (at different times) and asking them to pick which device sounded better. Every single time they picked the iPod (using lossless audio on both devices, identical headphones and/or hdmi cable vs ipod dock).

Anyone have any ideas I'm definitely all ears. Does anyone know if the Apple cable is going to allow iPod's/iPhones to work the same way with this device? I'm assuming so because otherwise you might as well just utilize a ML+, right?

/sigh.
Old 09-25-12, 02:10 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Ok sorry for absence. Had to catch up on a few things at my full-time job while also launching my own company (flippin busy)
I've got more vids to post. They're going up tonight

Quick Reply: Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)