IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 03:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
so there is a TSB but it's not valid outside of the warranty period? Shouldn't all TSBs be covered regardless?!
TSB's are typically instructions to fix a problem. Most of the time it's used to either confirm that a vehicle is not working as designed and/or to offer a repair method different than what would be in the repair manual and/or how to install an updated part that is different than the original.

Occasionally, warranty coverage will be extended, but that will generally be done separately from a TSB. It's nice when Toyota and/or Lexus extends coverage for a concern, but most of the time they don't.

Originally Posted by Zmon
Any chance if the 10+ mirrors would plug and play on an 08?
It should work fine, in fact previously either this TSB or the one for the mirror vibration had replaced the earlier style mirror with the newer mirror before service parts were released.

Jeff
Old 09-29-18, 11:13 AM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I'm very late to the post. I'm trying to figure out what the correct part number is to use since it looks like there's been at least 2 revisions of the mirror.

This is the part number I've seen referenced a few times but all official sources say it doesn't fit. 87810-0W880

Could someone confirm that 87810-0W880 is applicable to ALL 2nd GEN IS's (mine is a 2008) and includes the compass function? (I can see it has auto dim and homelink from the photos).
Old 09-29-18, 12:14 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sagan
I know I'm very late to the post. I'm trying to figure out what the correct part number is to use since it looks like there's been at least 2 revisions of the mirror.

This is the part number I've seen referenced a few times but all official sources say it doesn't fit. 87810-0W880

Could someone confirm that 87810-0W880 is applicable to ALL 2nd GEN IS's (mine is a 2008) and includes the compass function? (I can see it has auto dim and homelink from the photos).
87810-53120 is what you want. 880 is for 2011-2013 models without navigation.

IMO, I'd just replace it with a newer style mirror, that's what I did anyways. Swapped it with a 2010 GS350's mirror, newer style with a hidden compass like our mirrors (though I've been contemplating switching it with the newer frameless ones lately). Although, I don't have the luxury package and I imagine that it may control the auto dimming side mirrors if equipped.
Old 10-01-18, 08:33 AM
RedAE102
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember what year it was, but one of the model year changes during the 2nd Gen IS run was to remove the compass entirely from the rear view mirror. I would have to do some digging to find what year, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was the case. It was because they reasoned that the compass functionality already existed in the navigation, so it wasn't needed in those cars.
Old 12-17-18, 01:53 PM
sagan
Driver

Zmon,
Do you by chance still know the pinouts from the 2008 -> 2010 mirror swap you did? I got a IS mirror from 2010 with the hidden compass (I think same as your GS one) but it has a black connector with what looks like up to two rows of pins and 6 used pins vs. the white single row 5 pin on the 2008. It came labeled with 3 pins (ground, ignition power, power) and I'm guessing the last two pins are for the sideview mirrors?
Old 12-17-18, 04:36 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Zmon,
Do you by chance still know the pinouts from the 2008 -> 2010 mirror swap you did? I got a IS mirror from 2010 with the hidden compass (I think same as your GS one) but it has a black connector with what looks like up to two rows of pins and 6 used pins vs. the white single row 5 pin on the 2008. It came labeled with 3 pins (ground, ignition power, power) and I'm guessing the last two pins are for the sideview mirrors?
Honestly, no. I had the diagram from the TIS site, but it got deleted when I wiped my desktop. But anyways, I ended up just paying a guy for a custom harness for the new mirror on eBay. It doesn't plug into the old harness to get power, you'll have to tap into the wiring in the headliner. Only did it considering I don't have the luxury package with the dimming side mirrors so those extra pins didn't really matter to me.
Old 12-17-18, 05:43 PM
sagan
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
Honestly, no. I had the diagram from the TIS site, but it got deleted when I wiped my desktop. But anyways, I ended up just paying a guy for a custom harness for the new mirror on eBay. It doesn't plug into the old harness to get power, you'll have to tap into the wiring in the headliner. Only did it considering I don't have the luxury package with the dimming side mirrors so those extra pins didn't really matter to me.
Thanks for the fast reply! In case anyone is wondering -- if you don't have memory seats and the rain sensing wipers you don't have the luxury package (and thus also not the side mirrors).

I used small jumper wires for power, power ignition, and ground to connect the harnesses and then taped them up real good with electrical tape. Let's see how long that holds. If anyone has any better methods please let me know.

I also now have an extra old mirror if anyone wants it as a temp to ship theirs in for repair.
Old 04-07-19, 06:51 PM
canatto
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case it's still useful, I was able to swap out the glass assembly with one out of a generic mirror, GNTX453 that I bought off ebay, that came off a Nissan Altima. My intention was to preserve all features that came with the OE mirror in my 2006 GS300 AWD, especially the side miror dimming output that most cheap mirrors don't offer. There was a bit of make-fit to do but I think most half handy folks are able to handle.

1. Transfer the two wires and the connector from OE glass to the GNTX glass. Red wire goes to front glass electrode, green goes to back glass electrode.
2. The GNTX mirror glass is tiny slightly smaller in width than the OE but fits in the OE housing perfectly looking from outside. I put in some foam tape at a few spots around the glass so that it wouldn't move around in the housing.
2. The GNTX glass is also 1/16" thinner than the OE glass so I cut a piece in shape from an acrylic sheet to make up the thickness.
3. Transfer the foam pieces from back of the OE glass to the acrylic backer by gluing at about the same locations. These are the spots the back of mirror housing pressures on the glass when thing are assembled back together, as well as where the circuit board gets supported.
4. The GNTX glass does not have a see-through window for the compass display, yet the compass can still shine through the glass, looks a bit dim though. Nothing needs to be done or can be done.

Now the mirror is made great again!
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Lange (04-08-19)