IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 01:25 PM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?

The tires on my 06 is250 were pretty bald when I got a flat this week. The dash lit up with warnings, I put on the spare and got 4 new tires installed by America's Tire. Dash was still lit up when I picked up the car and I figured either they were just too lazy to reset it or it needed to be driven for a few miles to reset itself. When I got home I tried pushing the little button really hard but didn't manage to improve the situation which now reads either "Low Tire" or Check System".

Back to America's Tire the next day and they hold a flux capacitor up to each wheel and conclude that both front sensors are bad. Sure, the 7 year expected lifespan ends today, but really? Both at the same time? At the same time as my tire change? Anyway, they say they'll order some and get them installed for me tomorrow and I head on my way, assuming they meant this would be free or for a nominal charge.

Some googling revealed that not only are the sensors more expensive than an entire set of tires, but that's only the beginning. Apparently after the sensors are installed I'll have to make a trip out to the dealership to deliver another huge pile of money and I'm starting to realize that my shiny new Lexus is essentially totaled as the cost of replacing this $5 CR2477N watch battery nearly approaches the current value of the car.

So, what to do? The cheapest option is obviously to fly to Japan and murder the idiot who decided to put a battery inside the tire, then maim the moron who neglected to make the battery replaceable. More googling suggests even more extreme solutions such as cutting wires or covering lights with tape.

So it seems I can remove the battery with a little digging and soldering, then bond in a replacement with expanding foam but this is a pretty awkward procedure to perform in the parking lot of America's Tire. Has anyone done this? Are they accommodating to such strange requests? Another option is to spend insane money on a TPMS programmer, then install/program new sensors on the front and rebuild them at home for future use in the rear.

Is there a class action suit already in motion? Any links would be appreciated since the cost of obtaining my own lawyer would nearly exceed the cost of a replacement TPMS sensor so filing an individual suit would really just serve in principle.
Old 08-23-12, 01:30 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

TPMS costs $50 per sensor. Tire discounter programs them for free. The stealership will charge you $140

if u really wanna save money do the pipe bomb https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pipe-bomb.html
Old 08-23-12, 01:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Ebay 40 bucks each, take the tires to a mom n pop tire shop 40 bucks, take the vehicle to toyota or lexus dealer to register the sensors another 40 bucks. Whats that around 160 bucks to remove a small light from your dash.

But imo I think the tire shop damaged the sensors and doesnt want to fess up the repairs.
Old 08-23-12, 01:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you think your, still running, ISx50 is only worth slightly more than the cost of two TPMS sensors plus install I'll happily give you 3 times that amount for the car
Old 08-23-12, 01:48 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is the world would you want to salvage your car because of TPMS sensors? I would hope that your car is worth more than ~$200 to you
Old 08-23-12, 02:00 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

GO on an take a action lawsuit againt them LMAO. I like to see your lawyer laugh. Really people these day your crying over something that simple. Next thing your gonna say my FOB key battery is dead and im gonna rage hell over a $5 battery.
Old 08-23-12, 02:06 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Old 08-23-12, 02:24 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Just to drop some knowledge on you, Japan wasn't the first country to start using TPMS. It was the European Market.
Old 08-23-12, 02:59 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

A couple hundred dollars is approaching the cost of the car? Man you got a good deal.

Jeff
Old 08-23-12, 03:07 PM
DVIOUS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG finally a solution to my problems with the TPMS. I been driving around with two messed up sensors when I could have 1) salvage my car and be stupid 2) sue somebody and be stupid.
Old 08-23-12, 03:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Well if you think your 06' IS250 is worth $200 (the cost of the repair). Then, hell I'll give you $201 for your car.
Old 08-23-12, 03:18 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is awesome. I hope he gets rid of his car because of tpms issues. Hahaha fail

There's good info on tpms here and also by searching
Old 08-23-12, 04:08 PM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Look, if people could afford to replace these sensors every time the stupid $5 battery died there wouldn't be such a wealth of threads detailing hacks with pipe bombs and duct tape and crap. It appears that the normal cost of these sensors is around $500 plus another $100 for mounting/balancing and then a trip to the dealership for an additional $150 a$$fck. Yeah, maybe I can get some cheap knock-off sensors for $300 or so but they'll only last a year or two, assuming the dealer is able to program them.

So, lets talk about that keyfob. My dealer charges $450 for a replacement fob and reprogramming, making the fob vastly less expensive than the TPMS sensor. So what if they deliberately glued in the battery so that you had to go to the dealer and pay $450 every time the keyfob battery died? Everyone likes that idea?

I think you guys are defending the TPMS because you haven't yet had to deal with it. At some point in your life you'll see an $800 charge on your credit card for $20 worth of batteries and you'll probably find yourself asking the same questions I am:
- Why the hell is there a freakin' battery in there to begin with? That's the most idiotic and complicated method imaginable for powering the sensor.
- Why the hell didn't the tire shop just throw a new watch battery in there while the tire was off? Oh, because Lexus deliberately glued the battery in precisely to prevent that.
- Who can I sue for this very deliberate scheme to extort money?
Old 08-23-12, 04:13 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyT
Look, if people could afford to replace these sensors every time the stupid $5 battery died there wouldn't be such a wealth of threads detailing hacks with pipe bombs and duct tape and crap. It appears that the normal cost of these sensors is around $500 plus another $100 for mounting/balancing and then a trip to the dealership for an additional $150 a$$fck. Yeah, maybe I can get some cheap knock-off sensors for $300 or so but they'll only last a year or two, assuming the dealer is able to program them.

So, lets talk about that keyfob. My dealer charges $450 for a replacement fob and reprogramming, making the fob vastly less expensive than the TPMS sensor. So what if they deliberately glued in the battery so that you had to go to the dealer and pay $450 every time the keyfob battery died? Everyone likes that idea?

I think you guys are defending the TPMS because you haven't yet had to deal with it. At some point in your life you'll see an $800 charge on your credit card for $20 worth of batteries and you'll probably find yourself asking the same questions I am:
- Why the hell is there a freakin' battery in there to begin with? That's the most idiotic and complicated method imaginable for powering the sensor.
- Why the hell didn't the tire shop just throw a new watch battery in there while the tire was off? Oh, because Lexus deliberately glued the battery in precisely to prevent that.
- Who can I sue for this very deliberate scheme to extort money?
Wow buddy, calm down. TPMS don't cost that much. Buy some online, and get discount tire to program them into your car. $200 tops. And my TPMS are over 3 years old, never died. Girlfriends are 6 years old and never gone out. You just aren't doing your homework and are frustrated. Calm down, and listen to people here on how to not spend a fortune.

PS people build pipe bombs not because tpms are expensive, it's usually because our after market wheels do not accept tpms and the light on the dash is annoying
Old 08-23-12, 04:17 PM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Sewell charges $350 for the sensors. Is there a cheaper source for OEM replacements? Or are you suggesting the aftermarket parts which will have an unknown lifespan.

Quick Reply: TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?