IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 11:55 AM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, lots of haters here. Many of which didn't even understand the topic.

brociouz, Vroomin350, laobo979, etc., etc. You guys should at least read the title of the thread or some part of the first post before submitting a response. My car has 4 perfectly good TPMS sensors and always has. Why would I buy more on eBay or the classifieds? You obviously are as uneducated about TPMS sensors as I was when I started this thread. Take advantage of my new-found wisdom, detailed in my first post describing the battery as "not replaceable".

Slash300zx, sm1ke, Evitzee, meefer, bob4256, RDIS250AWD, etc., etc. There's no possible way to put this kindly and I don't want to hurt any feelings but you guys should be aware of your limitations. If you can "afford" to pay $50 for a $5 battery, that says far more about your mental capacity than it does about your wealth.

Like I said before, you guys will soon see what I'm talking about here. I know you think you're "wealthy" or immortal or whatever, but someday your battery will die and you'll discover that it's not replaceable (even though I just told you). Next you'll discover that even used sensors on eBay don't have replaceable batteries (surprise!), Then you'll see what a hassle it is to take time off work, bring the car in to the shop and pay to have them replaced. And you'll wonder, just as I did, why they put a battery in there in the first place. And why it's not replaceable such that you could have simply paid $20 for routine maintenance when you got new tires.

Anyway, America's Tire was very nice about it. They installed and programmed a pair of cheap aftermarket sensors (Redi 7002) for $150. Like you guys, they had never previously experienced a dead TPMS battery so it took a while for them to figure out how to do the programming. They complained to me about the absurdity of the non-replaceable battery and explained that they would much rather keep stock of watch batteries and offer inexpensive and convenient replacements to people purchasing new tires.

I know, you guys are all rich and retired so you wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours at the tire shop and since it's a Lexus, it makes you feel exclusive to have the honor of paying $150 for $10 worth of batteries. Not me, sorry. I'd like to think that no matter how much free time I end up with, I'll have better ways to spend it than by reading Car & Driver in the waiting room. And no matter how wealthy I become, I hope to never lack the mental capacity to determine that $150 for $10 in batteries is not a good deal. So go ahead, call me names, make fun of my eBay prowess, insult my wealth, etc. but think about what it is you guys are defending in the process.

Below is a pic of my sensor in hopes that it helps the next guy somehow. Apparently the '06 model is different from the rest and appears to have far more difficult battery access. I will open them up and replace the batteries when I need to replace the other set and will post pics of the process at that time if no one has preceded me.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS battery died.  Any way to salvage the car?-img_0668c.jpg  
Old 09-03-12, 12:11 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyT

brociouz, Vroomin350, laobo979, etc., etc. You guys should at least read the title of the thread or some part of the first post before submitting a response. My car has 4 perfectly good TPMS sensors and always has. Why would I buy more on eBay or the classifieds? You obviously are as uneducated about TPMS sensors as I was when I started this thread. Take advantage of my new-found wisdom, detailed in my first post describing the battery as "not replaceable".

Slash300zx, sm1ke, Evitzee, meefer, bob4256, RDIS250AWD, etc., etc. There's no possible way to put this kindly and I don't want to hurt any feelings but you guys should be aware of your limitations. If you can "afford" to pay $50 for a $5 battery, that says far more about your mental capacity than it does about your wealth.

Like I said before, you guys will soon see what I'm talking about here. I know you think you're "wealthy" or immortal or whatever, but someday your battery will die and you'll discover that it's not replaceable (even though I just told you). Next you'll discover that even used sensors on eBay don't have replaceable batteries (surprise!), Then you'll see what a hassle it is to take time off work, bring the car in to the shop and pay to have them replaced. And you'll wonder, just as I did, why they put a battery in there in the first place. And why it's not replaceable such that you could have simply paid $20 for routine maintenance when you got new tires.

Anyway, America's Tire was very nice about it. They installed and programmed a pair of cheap aftermarket sensors (Redi 7002) for $150. Like you guys, they had never previously experienced a dead TPMS battery so it took a while for them to figure out how to do the programming. They complained to me about the absurdity of the non-replaceable battery and explained that they would much rather keep stock of watch batteries and offer inexpensive and convenient replacements to people purchasing new tires.

I know, you guys are all rich and retired so you wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours at the tire shop and since it's a Lexus, it makes you feel exclusive to have the honor of paying $150 for $10 worth of batteries. Not me, sorry. I'd like to think that no matter how much free time I end up with, I'll have better ways to spend it than by reading Car & Driver in the waiting room. And no matter how wealthy I become, I hope to never lack the mental capacity to determine that $150 for $10 in batteries is not a good deal. So go ahead, call me names, make fun of my eBay prowess, insult my wealth, etc. but think about what it is you guys are defending in the process.

Below is a pic of my sensor in hopes that it helps the next guy somehow. Apparently the '06 model is different from the rest and appears to have far more difficult battery access. I will open them up and replace the batteries when I need to replace the other set and will post pics of the process at that time if no one has preceded me.
Im sorry but you are a complete idiot. You are the one who wants to sue someone over a BATTERY? Something that is cheap to replace?? And you want to salvage your Lexus for it?

Nobody is making fun of you because of your situation, we are making fun of you because your the one who is whining and complaining about something simple and want to sue someone over it. Your batteries died? Get over it, they dont last forever.

If your engine just died all of a sudden, thats understandable and you would have a right to complain....but your complaining over something as simple as batteries? Go ahead and try to sue someone and see where it gets you. I want to see every lawyer laugh in your face when you try and present your "case."
Old 09-03-12, 12:51 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't insult my mental capacity. It's painfully obvious that you're the one lacking the mental capacity and the COMMON SENSE to consider all of your options. Instead, you go straight to Lexus, get that one quote, and then flip out because you think that's the only solution.

On top of that, you can't even understand why they put a BATTERY in an ELECTRONIC DEVICE that CONSTANTLY MONITORS your tire pressure and relays that information WIRELESSLY to your car's control system? Damn. Now I understand why your reaction to not being able to replace a dead battery is to immediately want to sue Lexus. And guess what? We all know what it's like to take time off work to get something on the car fixed. Some of us are just smarter about it. Instead of taking a full day off to take the car to the shop and wait there until its done, we drop the car off in the morning and take the shop's free shuttle to work. Or, if your shop doesn't have a free shuttle, we ask a friend to drop us off. In the end, we miss 1, maybe 2 hours of work. Again, consider your options. Don't rip on my intelligence when you don't have the common sense to make the best of your situation.

Also, on the topic of Lexus gluing the battery into the sensor, how do you know its just a cash grab? What if they did it so the battery wouldn't dislodge from it's connector while it was rolling around in the tire? At least there are alternatives to buying the sensors directly from Lexus. Again, you were being ignorant by not considering all of your options.

Seriously, just read your thread title. Listen to how unbelievably ridiculous it sounds!
"TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?"

Could you imagine how much of a ****storm you could have avoided if instead you just wrote:
"TPMS battery died. What are my options?"

Hopefully the next time something breaks on your car (because something definitely will, it is a car, after all), you'll have the common sense to consider all your options before jumping to lawsuits and write-offs.

Last edited by sm1ke; 09-03-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 12:55 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

$50 doesn't make anyone wealthy. And I told u in the first place discount tire co would do this service for 3-4 times less than what the dealership would charge you. If you don't have at least $50 in your bank account I suggest you go move back in with your mom. I'm 29 years old I work two jobs to make ends meet and enjoy life a little. I'm no where near retiring and definitely your average joe working class man. When it all comes down to it you got a 7 year old car and your battery on your tpms died and you post something as ignorant as wanting to sue somebody, and salvage your car? You're lucky it was just your tpms battery and nothing serious. This is nothing non of us have not told you already. No one is sitting on a high horse bc we own a Lexus. We all tried to give you helpful advice but your stupidity is beyond belief. We all knew buying a luxury car the maintenence for it isn't gonna be cheap. Any car from 2006 and up requires TPMS now by law. Stop embarassing yourself. You should just sell your car to someone more deserving and would appreciate it and buy something older with less technology or pick up a Schwinn or a bus pass bc eventually you will run into carbon build up, your water pump will die, you're gonna need new brakes, rotors, tires and so on and so on.
Old 09-03-12, 01:05 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, I can't believe this guy isn't too embarrassed by his ignorance to continue this thread, but yet has the audacity to call out members.

You should have stopped while you were "ahead".

Have fun replacing tires more often than Your last car too, I'm sure. You might want to start the lawsuit now for whatever conspiracy you find with our tire wear. oh and tires are a little more than $50, so start the pre-approval process now for that loan. Haha

Sorry my truthful advice on how not to spend a ton of money came off wrong too...
Old 09-03-12, 01:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Someone take away his IS from him, and buy him a bicycle.
Old 09-03-12, 01:35 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
yeah I already suggested that, however I doubt he will buy a bike now. Apparently they have TPMS's now too. A Bus pass is his only option

Old 09-03-12, 01:35 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
LMAO!!!

But then hes going to complain when he gets a flat
Old 09-03-12, 02:11 PM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys just read half of each sentence and jump to some crazy conclusion.

First, there is no such thing as a $50 replacement sensor, or $20, or any of the other "bargains" you guys claim to know about. There are 68 posts here, most of which tout the existence of a magic $50 sensor, but not a single link in the entire thread to any $50 sensors other than a few used parts with dead batteries.

Second, $50 is a repair that anyone can afford (even me). But where many Lexus owners will proudly pay $50 for a $5 battery because it makes them feel wealthy, I'll proudly object to the scam. Again, give this some thought guys.

Third, batteries go dead. That's why they shouldn't be in there in the first place. There are many ways to make a proper sensor and putting a battery in it is by far the most absurd. Try googling "batteryless TMPS" sm1ke before you embarrass yourself further.

Fourth, there's no reason to glue the battery in. The inside of the tire is the most perfect, sealed, protected environment in the entire car. Yes, there is some shaking, and yes a screw should therefore be used to secure the battery. There's nothing but a single tiny nut holding the entire TPMS sensor and valve stem to the wheel and people's lives are depending on that nut holding, you think it's some insurmountable engineering challenge to secure a friggin watch battery in there with a tiny screw? Come on. Give it a little thought before you blindly assume that this is not a scam.
Old 09-03-12, 02:19 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Wow, you guys just read half of each sentence and jump to some crazy conclusion.

First, there is no such thing as a $50 replacement sensor, or $20, or any of the other "bargains" you guys claim to know about. There are 68 posts here, most of which tout the existence of a magic $50 sensor, but not a single link in the entire thread to any $50 sensors other than a few used parts with dead batteries.

Second, $50 is a repair that anyone can afford (even me). But where many Lexus owners will proudly pay $50 for a $5 battery because it makes them feel wealthy, I'll proudly object to the scam. Again, give this some thought guys.

Third, batteries go dead. That's why they shouldn't be in there in the first place. There are many ways to make a proper sensor and putting a battery in it is by far the most absurd. Try googling "batteryless TMPS" sm1ke before you embarrass yourself further.

Fourth, there's no reason to glue the battery in. The inside of the tire is the most perfect, sealed, protected environment in the entire car. Yes, there is some shaking, and yes a screw should therefore be used to secure the battery. There's nothing but a single tiny nut holding the entire TPMS sensor and valve stem to the wheel and people's lives are depending on that nut holding, you think it's some insurmountable engineering challenge to secure a friggin watch battery in there with a tiny screw? Come on. Give it a little thought before you blindly assume that this is not a scam.
Honestly dude when you keep posting, you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole. Calling out forum members when YOU are the one who posted a stupid thread? Just give it up, sell your car, and stop your complaining.
Old 09-03-12, 03:16 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, there's no way a screw can come loose in an environment that it consistently subjected to vibrations. No way that the tire, which absorbs much of the force from road imperfections, would shake and cause enough vibration to make a screw come loose. Sorry, but in this case I'd rather have Lexus use the glue.

I googled "batteryless TPMS", and yes they do exist. I'll admit that I was wrong in thinking that all TPMS sensors required batteries. However, when were batteryless TPMS sensors first mass-manufactured? Maybe 2004? Your car is an 07 isn't it? Here's a little tidbit of info:
The 2009 Audi A6 MY09 onwards is the first car sold in the USA with an Indirect TPMS. Therefore, your "argument" should only apply to cars manufactured in 2009 and up.

Get your notebook ready, because you're about to be schooled.

The major downfall of Indirect TPMS is that it requires the driver to recalibrate the system every time the tires are inflated. If this does not occur, the system becomes ineffective and there is no warning to the driver that the TPMS system requires recalibration. Many drivers are unaware of what TPMS is and even if they are they are not aware that they have to recalibrate the system and this can lull them into a false sense of security and less frequent checking of pressures (after all the car will let the driver know when a tire needs inflating. Right?).

Direct TPMS is a far superior system that only offers a minimal additional cost at manufacture, it’s main drawbacks are having to replace the sensors after 10 years and keeping multiple sets of wheels requires additional sensors. There are systems in testing today that have lowered the weight and size of the sensors to 7grams by removing the requirement for a battery.

Indirect TPMS requires the driver to calibrate the system and is slow to alert the drivers to loss of pressure. If the driver maintains the system correctly and realizes that they still need to check tire pressures it can be better than no TPMS. Many of the reasons why the US and soon the EU (2012) have made TPMS mandatory can be circumvented through incorrect use of Indirect TPMS.

Research has shown that Indirect TPMS makes no difference in the real world to tire pressures which means the safety and environmental arguments for mandatory TPMS are pointless.

Both TPMS systems can lull the driver into a false sense of security, the difference is that with Direct TPMS the system will still operate and alert the driver to pressure loss whereas the Indirect TPMS may fail to alert if not properly maintained.

I pulled this info from the net in a matter of minutes. Thanks for pointing out the existence of batteryless/Indirect TPMS systems, now I know that they are less effective than the conventional Direct TPMS.

You've failed again JeremyT. Thanks for playing, but this game is over.
Old 09-03-12, 03:22 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope the mods lock this insane thread. No one feels wealthy for buying TPMS sensors. We do it because ita regular maintenance much like anything else you repair or change at normal intervals.

$200 every 7 Years is no big deal. The fact you about it publicly and won't let it die is where everyone has an issue. And you made it personal against people.

I'd still like proof all 4 died simultaneously, and that your shop didn't screw you, if I missed that PROOF somewhere in the bickering, I apologize.
Old 09-03-12, 03:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First, there is no such thing as a $50 replacement sensor

That's true... for $50 you actually get four of em on Ebay.

If you want brand new though, and want only one, that's less than $50-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Orange-E...ht_4285wt_1324

$40.42 shipped to your door.

There are 68 posts here, most of which tout the existence of a magic $50 sensor, but not a single link in the entire thread
Our apologies, nobody told us your google was broken. Maybe you should sue them too?

Wait your google DOES work!

Except we've already explained why the battery ones are better.
Old 09-03-12, 03:48 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kurtz
our apologies, nobody told us your google was broken. Maybe you should sue them too?
Old 09-03-12, 04:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You gotta' love it when a newbie wanders in here ranting about their 6 yo TPMS sensor going dead (the horror of Lexus not providing a TPMS system that is good for life) and then telling those that posted a response to his original post that they are HATERS or incapable of understanding his logic. If nothing else it makes for comic relief.

Quick Reply: TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?