IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dangerous steering important!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 12:20 AM
Menthol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous steering important!

Holy ****t, all I can say. I was making a right maybe at 15 mph onto a ramp coming downhill and during the turn my steering wheel literally lost control and slipped towards the left (felt as if the grip was lost). I hurried and turn back left and gained back control then slight right again to avoid the accident. Im going to take it in to the lexus dealer tmrw. Anyone have this problem?
Old 08-17-12, 12:27 AM
Menthol
Rookie

I drive an is350 2012 fsport btw
Old 08-17-12, 12:29 AM
Authorize
Driver

I have the same car (2012 IS350 F-Sport) but have yet experience any steering problems.
Old 08-17-12, 12:30 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

after market HID on the car?
Old 08-17-12, 12:44 AM
Menthol
Rookie

No aftermarket all stock. Ive read around and people mentioned that is350 have steering problems, anyway to fix this?
Old 08-17-12, 01:56 AM
Menthol
Rookie

Could this be because of summer tires? Mine came stock with summer tires and I live in the Bay area, it does get foggy at night and slightly slippery. Does get very cold as well 45 or so.
Old 08-17-12, 06:07 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any bumps, ruts or potholes there? My car does tramline badly with huge steering kickback and deviation, but that's when I'm driving through a roadworks area so it's obvious to me that I should slow down and be careful.

I'm thinking it has to do with a too soft bushing on the front suspension that affects the toe. If the toe on only one of the front wheels is affected at that instant like when you hit a rut on one side only, then there might be some unwanted steering angle.

Another guy had an accident which sounds a lot like yours: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...yone-help.html
Old 08-17-12, 06:16 AM
Menthol
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toymota
Any bumps, ruts or potholes there? My car does tramline badly with huge steering kickback and deviation, but that's when I'm driving through a roadworks area so it's obvious to me that I should slow down and be careful.

I'm thinking it has to do with a too soft bushing on the front suspension that affects the toe. If the toe on only one of the front wheels is affected at that instant like when you hit a rut on one side only, then there might be some unwanted steering angle.

Another guy had an accident which sounds a lot like yours: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...yone-help.html
Thanks for the reply. I read up on that accident quite a few times already, his situation is a bit different from mine. His steering was unresponsive (wanting to go straight), while mine seemed to turn into the turn just fine, it was mid way that it got loose and felt like the traction was lost. I quickly steered the other way and then back right and I was fine. It felt like a messed up version of an understeer. I'm waiting another hour for the Lexus dealership to give them a call and see if there should be any follow up. The road did not have any big bumps or noticeable ones, it is a tight turn on a ramp and I was coming downhill. The road might be slightly slippery due to fog and I'm running the stock summer tires.
Old 08-17-12, 07:03 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

I read a thread about someone that had a similiar problem last week but they ended up getting into a wreck.

I've got an '11 Fsport and when making a right turn the other day it felt like the steering wheel slipped to the right and I had lost traction. Didn't have any issues correcting it but not it feels like my alignment is completely off as my car is pulling hard to the right...
Old 08-17-12, 09:08 AM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Better stay away from 09-12 Lexus IS, this past month we see too often steering problem.
Old 08-17-12, 09:36 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Better stay away from 09-12 Lexus IS, this past month we see too often steering problem.
I agree. This is unsettling.
Old 08-17-12, 10:16 AM
Menthol
Rookie

Well, I just came back from dealer and ran a drive and electronic check, no problems were detected. He could only suspect I was going too fast and slid.
Old 08-17-12, 01:54 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Menthol
Could this be because of summer tires? Mine came stock with summer tires and I live in the Bay area, it does get foggy at night and slightly slippery. Does get very cold as well 45 or so.
Summer tires don't perform too well with temperature under 50 degrees but I doubt that's the case cause you were only going 15mph onto a ramp. I be going 80+mph on some ramp with 45mph speed limits at 50 degrees weather all the time.
Old 08-17-12, 03:05 PM
NickTyson
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 IS350 I bought about a month and half ago. I have been experiencing this problem when turning too. I think it has something to do with the wrong tires being put on the car. I have learned to drive with it but it really takes away from the whole upgrading to a 350 from a 250 because I cannot use the power. I'm going to buy some new tires cause these are just horrible. They are Good Year but they don't feel right when I slide my hand across the treed.

I'll make sure and update you when I see if this worked.
Old 08-17-12, 03:31 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one other thing I can think of is all 350s have VDIM and it was added to 250s beginning in 2009. Before that, 250s only had the less advanced Vehicle Stability Control. VDIM apparently can control the Electric Power Steering, altering the amount of power assist if it thinks the vehicle is out of control. This could possibly feel a bit weird...

Quick Reply: Dangerous steering important!