See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

IS250 Engine misfire-explained

Old 01-06-13, 06:33 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JONIS250
I haven't gotten my car back yet. So how would I know if they use original parts and did what you said? Do they log it in somewhere in their system? The mechanic told me that the total cost for car would be close to $12000 but then corporate would have a different price. Now I'm worry that my car will be running worse than before. Someone told me hat I'm getting a refurbished engine. And I don't think anything with refurbish in it is good. Since my car only have 31k miles I should have waited longer before taking it in. Some of the cars on here have over 100k miles. You seem to know a lot about this, any advice to me when getting the car back? Like what should I ask my Sa Ect.. My car will not turn into a lemon right? Please help
Someone at Lexus told you something about getting a refurb bottom-end? I also don't like the sound of that; but it depends on their definition of refurb and the length taken to refurb it. Have they tell you exactly what is going into your car, after all...it's your car!

GL!
Old 01-15-13, 11:33 PM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
New valves are not installed.. rather, they clean the existing valves. No need to rebore/hone, as the new pistons are the same size as the previous ones, just slightly redesigned, with new rings. The only reason for a block replacement would be if there was bore damage...
I got the car back today and it runs really smooth. Since my work is so close to home I haven't had a chance to take it on the freeway or go over 60mph. The service rep said not all cars get a brand new short block replaced from Japan . He said its like getting a new car. I will have to wait and see. So far, I'm happy with it. Will keep you guys updated
Old 05-10-13, 03:33 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help I don't know if my engine is doing the same thing? I was able to record a little clip of what my engine was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjm_...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-10-13, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 154 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaws
I need help I don't know if my engine is doing the same thing? I was able to record a little clip of what my engine was doing:

Carbon buildup is the drop of rpms, not the rise. Your rpms are slowling rising, along with speed on the speedometer. Don't get what you are doing, unless you are saying the car moved forward on it's own along with the rising rpm's. Doesn't look like engine misfiring.
(Would be wise to cut your radio if you are going to film engine behavior.)
Old 07-24-13, 11:25 AM
Probert
Driver School Candidate

Default Carbon build up

My car is currently at the Dealership with this issue - I originally got the check engine error and took it in. I have 79k miles. They said they were replacing the Crank, Pistons, Cam. Last night I got a message that my oil pan plug is getting stripped and needs to be replaced - that's $175. Then today I get a message saying my spark plugs need to be replaced. Shouldn't that be covered under the engine issue??? this is suddenly becoming an expensive issue that was supposed to be covered under my Warranty. Any answers from the people that have had this taken care of already would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-13, 11:50 AM
PumaFiveOh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Probert
My car is currently at the Dealership with this issue - I originally got the check engine error and took it in. I have 79k miles. They said they were replacing the Crank, Pistons, Cam. Last night I got a message that my oil pan plug is getting stripped and needs to be replaced - that's $175. Then today I get a message saying my spark plugs need to be replaced. Shouldn't that be covered under the engine issue??? this is suddenly becoming an expensive issue that was supposed to be covered under my Warranty. Any answers from the people that have had this taken care of already would be greatly appreciated.
If all you have to pay for is spark plugs and an oil pan plug to essentially get a BRAND NEW engine....I would just count my blessings and be happy. You drove almost 80k miles and now you have a brand new motor!
Old 07-29-13, 02:01 PM
solotex55
Driver School Candidate

ok here is what I know....as most of you know by now Lexus has a CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) designated ZLA for the misfire condition on IS250 (2006-09) and 2006 GS300. This extends the warranty for this condition to 9 yrs regardless of mileage. It only covers the misfire condition and the parts required to fix it. It does not cover any other engine parts such as plugs, oil pans etc. Some early 2006 Is and GS will receive new valve springs, retainer and lash adjusters if they are in VIN range for these, but most IS will only get pistons and pistons rings, valve stem seals and de-carbonizing of the heads, valves and cylinder bores. Also, all gasket necessary to perform the work (and engine gasket set).
At my dealer the policy is not to charge labor to replace spark plugs or any other engine part that is involved in this repair. The customer is required to pay for the part. I only recommend spark plugs on the cars that have not had them done at the recommended change interval (60k), otherwise they can be reused.
A note about the CSP....all owners will be sent a letter about this program. They are being sent out in sequence starting w/the older cars first w/ set intervals between mailings. This is to keep the dealers and parts system from being overwhelmed by demands for repairs. If you have not received a letter, be patient. A letter is not required to receive the warranty extension if your car needs repair.
It should be noted that Lexus is not the only MFG having this issue. From talking w/other people in the industry just about every MFG who has a DI only engine is having this issue. Mercedes, BMW and Porsche are just some of the names that come to mind. Most of them are just cleaning the valves. This is a temporary fix, at best. At least Lexus is trying to fix the problem.
Old 07-31-13, 11:07 AM
seouljahon
Driver

got my bottom replaced for free =)
Old 07-31-13, 08:54 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

Just picked up my car today after the pistons replacement. The only thing I paid for was my water pump which came out to 340 after labor and parts. They gave me a discount because basically my engine was all torn apart they basically just have to take it off and install new ones. The disappointed thing is the part alone is 260 with so many bad reviews of failing when it wants to. Other then that the car shifts good with no lag in accelerations. For those who are wondering what the piston recall covers they are as below.
Engine gasket kit
Ring set, pistons
Piston sub assy
Retainer, valve spring
Spring, compression
Adjuster assy, valve
Replaceable element- not sure what that is
FIPG oil pan
Upper engine cleaner
Piston sub assy
Long life coolant
Motor oil
And ac refrigerant

These are the parts ordered and replaced. I was also told that the warranty would cover nothing else but these things that have been replaced for as long as I own the car. Didn't know to believe him or not. They also only gave me a 1 year warranty on my waterpump. Other then that just glad to have it back I waited 6 months after they misfiring test done by Lexus!!!!!!
Old 07-31-13, 09:10 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

Originally Posted by outlaws

Sounds like mine before the pistons recall. I would feel my car shake while at a stop light, rpm jumping up and down and really lagging when accelerating. While I was waiting these are the things I did and didn't seem to have experience it after.
Use high quality synthetic oil
Use gas treatment
And only use high quality fuel. My opinion chevron of shell 91 premium only. I've seen the difference in the pass before by only pumping here. Long story short did a motor swap and could the difference between how clean my old engine was to the new one. I do my own maintence because I do not trust shop touching my ****! Just keep up with these things it might just help. If it doesn't the dealer is the place to attend. These motors are really sensitive.
Old 02-22-14, 11:37 PM
elco1984
Driver School Candidate

Default Just got my 2006 is250 repaired for misfire

Just got my 2006 is250 back from Lexus dealer for misfire. Did not pay anything at all. I seen the bill which was a little over $4,900. It has 121k miles. Only had rough idle once or twice in the last two years I've owned it since 80k miles. Always been very reliable but found out about this while typing "2006 lexus is250 recalls" on google. So after seeing the misfire issue I called and it had a recall for windshield wiper nut, something with the fuel pressure and trunk release lever was replaced. So had these done and dealer said they would check for misfire. They called me the same day and said they got it approved by Lexus to do the repair. They said they would order the parts so I could keep driving my car. Took only a few days and they called me again that parts were in early to drop off my car and get a free loaner. I got a 2013 Is250. Took about 7 days. Runs good. Same if not better than before. Some people on here say they were denied because it could not be duplicated but I think its in the dealers interest to try to get it approved and do the repairs since Lexus will pay them. Not sure but I got no hassle. They did not explain anything to me though and I did not ask too many questions since they approved the repairs.

Last edited by elco1984; 02-22-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 01:37 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Is there any fuel additive that would help to prevent the condition?

When my MY2011 IS 250 F-Sport went in for its first service, they
put some additive in the tank.
Charged me £7/$10
They said it was a Lexus/Toyota directive.

Anyway, am I right in thinking my car should be immune from the condition being
discussed here?

Silvex
Old 08-29-14, 06:36 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back to the top no one answered the question will the OIL CATCH CAN be a solution to this build up or help?
Old 08-30-14, 04:57 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants250
Bringing this back to the top no one answered the question will the OIL CATCH CAN be a solution to this build up or help?
Its not a total solution but it helps a ton. I installed one on my sisters car after I cleaned the top of her valves myself and installed the catch can system. after that she has not experienced any issues and my dad drains the can at every oil change and it picked up a lot of oil that would otherwise be ingested back into the intake manifold.
Old 08-30-14, 09:13 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this issue. My service advisor noticed it for me when I told him the car will randomly almost stall at idle. I went in for my 99k mile last warranty checkup (100k extended warranty) and he said there's a recall on it so he said essentially I got a new engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Engine misfire-explained