RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no EGR on the ISx50.
Old 06-03-12, 07:34 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this TSB done one my car....hasn't run the same since, avg mpg's dropped by at least 4mpg and I do the same driving....I know other factors might be an issue, but it ran better before overall. I would have never had it done not worth it.
Old 06-04-12, 08:12 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Horror of horrors

I just realized my 2010 IS 300 ( 37,000 Km's ) has the 3 GR- FE engine and like the IS 250 most of you guys have here does not have a D4 - S .

Which probably means after a few 1000 Km's I too will have the carbon build up problem. Is there anything we can do to avoid it. I was really hoping to take this baby with me back to my homeland. But if issues are going to crop up I would have to sell her

Last edited by stanjohn12; 06-04-12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 08:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
I just realized my 2010 IS 300 ( 37,000 Km's ) has the 3 GR- FE engine and like the IS 250 most of you guys have here does not have a D4 - S .

Which probably means after a few 1000 Km's I too will have the carbon build up problem. Is there anything we can do to avoid it. I was really hoping to take this baby with me back to my homeland. But if issues are going to crop up I would have to sell her
The carbon issue happens on engines that are only direct injection.

The 350 doesn't suffer because it uses port and direct both.

The 250 does because it uses DI only.

The 3GR-FE doesn't use direct injection at all so it doesn't have this issue.

(the 3GR-FSE probably does, but was used in very few applications from what I can tell)
The following users liked this post:
Ckuy (05-29-19)
Old 06-04-12, 12:09 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Kurtz

The 3GR-FE doesn't use direct injection at all so it doesn't have this issue.
I'm so happy. Now I can keep my baby forever.

Sorry to all 250 folks , just couldn't control my joy. I hope Lexus fixes your car's for free.
Old 06-04-12, 12:15 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Would seafoam help
Old 06-04-12, 01:21 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Solotex55 since the new rings are the same as the ones in the newer IS250 which use 0w20 oil and extended drain intervals, could you be safe in using the lighter weight oil now that there are new rings installed or are there other factors that are considered?
Old 06-06-12, 01:07 AM
Formeister
Driver School Candidate

Actually, there is EGR on is250's. I agree there is no EGR valve since this is accomplished by valve timing instead.
Old 10-05-12, 12:08 AM
jiayon
Driver School Candidate

Default PCV Valve 09 IS250

Does anyone have a picture/drawing of where the PCV valve on an 09 IS250 is located. Appreciate your help in advance!
Old 10-05-12, 01:00 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my piston and rings replaced last year but took a lot of work between calling corp office to only have them tell me nothing can be done but after speaking to them several times and stating im not making this up they said they were able to "take photo's and saw there was a bunch of build up" only problem i have is what do i do when this comes back and nothing is covered.......
Old 01-03-13, 10:24 PM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solotex55
Hi guys and gals, I am a Lexus Senior Certified tech at a large Lexus dealership. In reading some of the posts here, I see alot of confusion about this subject. You seem to know about carbon build-up, but not the how or why and most important...the fix or prevention.
First, how and why...the misfire is caused when carbon that has built-up on the intake valve flakes off and becomes stuck between the valve and the seat causing loss of compression. This can last from a few seconds to minutes. It does not damage the engine, but can set a Check Engine light if it lasts long enough. The carbon is caused by crankcase blow-by...oil getting in the intake system. With a Direct Injection engine there is no fuel flow over the valve to clean it. The fix is to reduce blow-by...after you clean-up the valves. Lexus has another TSIB out for this. I believe it is L-SB-0048-11. It involes replacing ALL the pistons and rings,also cleaning the valves and replacing the valve stem seals. I personally have done 4 of these. It is most common around 60k miles, but have seen it as low as 29k. It is fully covered under 6/70 powertrain warranty. Now about prevention....I don't know of any. Why do some cars do it at 30k and others have 100k w/o a problem??? Synthetic oil may help, but not enough data to be sure. Good, clean oil can't hurt. The 350 and V-8 models do not have this problem. If you have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.
I dropped my car off at Lexus dealership about a month ago and the car is not even done. My car only have 31k miles on it, it's a 2008 is250. My service rep is really nice . He walked me through the working area and had of the mechanic working on my car explain the problem to me. I'm not a mechanic guy so didn't really understand much. Looking at my car I couldn't believe my eyes. They took everything apart. Inside the engine bay is emptied. Mechanic said he had to replace something in the pistons or valve rings. They did all that and the problem didn't go away so now they going to replace short engine block. My rep said its like getting a new engine. I don't need a new engine I just need my car to run the way it should. Hopefully when I get the car back it will be better. After seeing it been stripped apart I don't know if it will run better. I'm just crossing my fingers.
Old 01-03-13, 11:56 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

2007 IS250 RWD, 72K miles no problems. hope it doesnt happen.
Old 01-04-13, 12:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by JONIS250
I dropped my car off at Lexus dealership about a month ago and the car is not even done. My car only have 31k miles on it, it's a 2008 is250. My service rep is really nice . He walked me through the working area and had of the mechanic working on my car explain the problem to me. I'm not a mechanic guy so didn't really understand much. Looking at my car I couldn't believe my eyes. They took everything apart. Inside the engine bay is emptied. Mechanic said he had to replace something in the pistons or valve rings. They did all that and the problem didn't go away so now they going to replace short engine block. My rep said its like getting a new engine. I don't need a new engine I just need my car to run the way it should. Hopefully when I get the car back it will be better. After seeing it been stripped apart I don't know if it will run better. I'm just crossing my fingers.
If Lexus is giving you a BRAND NEW short block (short block = bottom end) you should be happy! I've been harping on the so-called carbon build-up "repair" Lexus does; replacing pistons/rings/valves is good and all for a short-fix; but if they were not the original components to the motor they will not work 100% perfectly and will decrease the life expectancy of the motor in my mind. If they were to "fix" it properly, the short block AND the heads would be sent off to a machine shop for a new 3-angle valve job to match the new valves. The block would be re-honed or bored to match the new pistons. But of course, they don't go into that much detail as 99% of folks don't know the difference between a connecting rod and a crankshaft. LOL!
Old 01-05-13, 12:12 AM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
If Lexus is giving you a BRAND NEW short block (short block = bottom end) you should be happy! I've been harping on the so-called carbon build-up "repair" Lexus does; replacing pistons/rings/valves is good and all for a short-fix; but if they were not the original components to the motor they will not work 100% perfectly and will decrease the life expectancy of the motor in my mind. If they were to "fix" it properly, the short block AND the heads would be sent off to a machine shop for a new 3-angle valve job to match the new valves. The block would be re-honed or bored to match the new pistons. But of course, they don't go into that much detail as 99% of folks don't know the difference between a connecting rod and a crankshaft. LOL!
I haven't gotten my car back yet. So how would I know if they use original parts and did what you said? Do they log it in somewhere in their system? The mechanic told me that the total cost for car would be close to $12000 but then corporate would have a different price. Now I'm worry that my car will be running worse than before. Someone told me hat I'm getting a refurbished engine. And I don't think anything with refurbish in it is good. Since my car only have 31k miles I should have waited longer before taking it in. Some of the cars on here have over 100k miles. You seem to know a lot about this, any advice to me when getting the car back? Like what should I ask my Sa Ect.. My car will not turn into a lemon right? Please help
Old 01-05-13, 11:28 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
New valves are not installed.. rather, they clean the existing valves. No need to rebore/hone, as the new pistons are the same size as the previous ones, just slightly redesigned, with new rings. The only reason for a block replacement would be if there was bore damage...

Quick Reply: IS250 Engine misfire-explained