IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 19in rims and tires with rubbing. Need some experianced advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 08:15 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=projectdna;7232531]265/30-19 + rolled fenders should create enough clearance.

alternatively, 255/30-19 w/out rolled fenders should do the trick.

QUOTE]

Thanks projectdna. I am still confused by the fact that others on the forum have the exact same rims, are lowered, and don't rub. Mabye the stock suspension is just too dang soft and the Michelins have a wider profile than others. Thought this was going to be so easy picking a rim and tire size that had others pave the way. I hate to just test some more, but I maybe some f-sport springs will be enough.

Last edited by ajochums; 05-14-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 08:25 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aspeckt
maybe some stiff coils?
Aspeckt... how do you like those Generals? If I step down to a 265-30 it would be those of the Conti DWS.
Old 05-14-12, 09:34 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

they're alright, i mean i have no idea. i'm lowering it on megans soon though, they come in tomorrow. my Tire pressure light is always on bc discount tires thought they knew what they were doing -__-

i feel potholes but everyone does on low profiles. i'll see if theres any difference after i lower/stiffen the ride
Old 05-14-12, 09:45 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ajochums
Thanks projectdna. I am still confused by the fact that others on the forum have the exact same rims, are lowered, and don't rub. Mabye the stock suspension is just too dang soft and the Michelins have a wider profile than others. Thought this was going to be so easy picking a rim and tire size that had others pave the way. I hate to just test some more, but I maybe some f-sport springs will be enough.
only two factors i can think of:

different wheel and/or tire specs.

fender modifications (roll/shave).

either keep the tire sizes and mod the fenders, or save the fenders and get new tires.
Old 05-15-12, 01:01 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

OP:

With those sizes, you'll have to roll your fenders to get rid of the rubbing and just hit it again with the heat gun if the front still rubs. Other than that, there's not much you can unless you go to a 225 and 265 which should give just enough clearance for you. in fact, the +32 and +38 sizes are close to the +30 and +38 of linea corse wheels. most people run the 235/275 or 225/265 for these and with rolled fenders, it gives enough clearance.

for all intents and purposes, you could also get a camber arm for the rear to get some extra clearance too.
Old 05-15-12, 02:04 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have red marks on your rear tires, you should have black/rubbing mark on your fender edges right now. Please post the pic of your fender where it rubbed. By seeing the picture we can better evaluate the severity of the rub and hence precise solution. May be you can just roll the fender partially or just grind a little part of it to eliminate the rubbing problem.
Old 05-15-12, 10:31 AM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCWB
If you have red marks on your rear tires, you should have black/rubbing mark on your fender edges right now. Please post the pic of your fender where it rubbed. By seeing the picture we can better evaluate the severity of the rub and hence precise solution. May be you can just roll the fender partially or just grind a little part of it to eliminate the rubbing problem.
Didn't get a good shot in there but I have to beleive it is just the very tip and a good roll job will fix, or at least help. Just didn't want to do that, but getting more comfortable with it now as I think I want to at least lower the suspension a bit. Gonna try and get 225/35 and 265/30 tires to help as well.

Originally Posted by kuuqi
OP:

With those sizes, you'll have to roll your fenders to get rid of the rubbing and just hit it again with the heat gun if the front still rubs. Other than that, there's not much you can unless you go to a 225 and 265 which should give just enough clearance for you. in fact, the +32 and +38 sizes are close to the +30 and +38 of linea corse wheels. most people run the 235/275 or 225/265 for these and with rolled fenders, it gives enough clearance.

for all intents and purposes, you could also get a camber arm for the rear to get some extra clearance too.
Camber arm is way more than I want and it looks like Discount Tire is goona work with me even though i picked the tires and sizes. As I noted above, I am gonna try and get 225/35 and 265/30 tires to help as well. Will try for those this weekend.

Originally Posted by projectdna
only two factors i can think of:

different wheel and/or tire specs.

fender modifications (roll/shave).

either keep the tire sizes and mod the fenders, or save the fenders and get new tires.
Same exact wheel, and tire specs, but different tire brand. Not sure how they don't notice the rubbing, but it bugs me big time. Gonna go safe and do both with new smaller tires and fender rolling. Thanks for all your good info and advice projectdna. Appriciate it.

Last edited by ajochums; 05-15-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 12:11 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

So I got the new rubber.... 225/35 and 265/30. A bit stretched in my book, but truthfully they look a ton better on these rims and car. I guess I gotta move away from my days of big meats on muscle cars.

Most importanly, no rubbing. Still gonna roll the fenders next weekend just to be safe when I finally get around to lowering with the F-sports. Here it is right now... still high, but no rubbing which makes me happy.

Old 05-20-12, 12:22 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Just turn up your stereo. It worked fine for me
Old 05-20-12, 01:00 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

rubbing is normal when you lower the car....
Old 05-20-12, 02:36 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by busdepot
Just turn up your stereo. It worked fine for me
Originally Posted by chris07is
rubbing is normal when you lower the car....
Rubbing on small dips is not acceptable on a high end car like a Lexus, Slammed yes... lowered... no. If you spend the time and do it right, you don't rub, scrape, or make any unnessecary noises. Besides, the stereo may keep you from hearing it, but what about everyone outside as you rub your way through a parking lot. That is just plain embarassing in my book.
Old 05-20-12, 06:07 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you solved the problem. If I were you, I wouldn't roll my fender at this point because you will be exposed to cracking your paint from rolling process. I will roll my fender only when it really needs to.
Old 05-20-12, 07:00 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Yes also keep in mind when you lower the car, the rear wheels WILL camber in. So chances are you'll have enough clearance just as you do now. I'd wait until you lower the car before you decide to roll the fenders
Old 05-20-12, 09:08 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCWB
Glad to hear you solved the problem. If I were you, I wouldn't roll my fender at this point because you will be exposed to cracking your paint from rolling process. I will roll my fender only when it really needs to.
True, but I may have already bit the bullen there. After rubbing last weekend, I tried the old backyard method of wedging in a baseball bat. Bearly budged, but because I didn't heat up the paint, I already cracked some of it.

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Yes also keep in mind when you lower the car, the rear wheels WILL camber in. So chances are you'll have enough clearance just as you do now. I'd wait until you lower the car before you decide to roll the fenders
Good point. With no rubbing now, I may just do the springs this long weekend and roll in the future if i need to. Would rather just be done with it though.
Old 05-20-12, 11:29 PM
seouljahon
Driver

you need to lower it on coilovers with adjustable dampening and ride firm with fender roll.