IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Strange clatter that comes from behind glove compartment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 07:33 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clatter that comes from behind glove compartment.

I have an 06 is 250. And have a really loud (extremely annoying) clatter that happens every time at start up and occasionally as I'm driving. I think I have found where it's coming from. And i guess it's a relay that sits behind glove box. As of now I have put a nut and bolt through it but it has (after 200 miles of driving) come lose and starting to make that noise again. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and hopefully have a permanent solution to fix this. I'm not 100% sure it's a relay. But it's a black box that has flaps that rattle together. If need be. I have taken a sound and video clip that I can send to someone to help me figure this out.
Old 05-19-12, 08:28 AM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After you put the nut and bolt on the relay, did the sound go away? If it did, then that's it. You may want to put a lock washer or apply some thread locker to prevent it from loosening again.

If not, then could it be from the shelf inside the glove box (loose) or the cabin air filter isn't in correctly? I saw the DIY for changing out the cabin filter and it's in that location. And there's a small door, if it's loose, could cause that sound as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-12, 02:12 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

It sounds like someone may have damaged your cabin air filter while checking it--that caused me problems. Check to see if it is all the time or only when the air is on recirculate or outside air--that will help narrow it down to the relay or perhaps this damage
Old 05-19-12, 02:29 PM
ntech
Rookie

There is a plastic panel in the rear that the glove box shelf rests against. That was the source of the rattle for me. I lined all of the exposed plastic and wrapped the shelf in felt. I had no rattles since. Pay particular attention to where plastic meets plastic. I did not take anything apart to do this, I just used some felt and double sided tape.
Old 05-19-12, 05:57 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this what it sounds like?
http://youtu.be/ssVW4xQdWOQ

That is the sound of a broken fresh air/recirculate door. If so, this thread may help you fix it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-to-circ.html
Old 05-20-12, 04:58 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toymota
Is this what it sounds like?
http://youtu.be/ssVW4xQdWOQ

That is the sound of a broken fresh air/recirculate door. If so, this thread may help you fix it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-to-circ.html
That's exactly it. Its so annoying. I found it to do it mostly when starting the car. I then took my glove box completely out and starting fiddling with things to see what it was and figured it was a little black box thing that has plastic flaps. Planning to buy some felt today and then screw my nut and bolt back on it.
Old 05-20-12, 06:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long's this rattle been happening? And when's the last time the cabin filter was replaced? Because the cause of this problem is someone replacing the cabin air filter without setting it to recirculation mode first, which is stated clearly in the manual. If you replaced it last, then now you know. But if it was a shop or dealer that did it fairly recently, I'd be heading back to them to have them fix it.
Old 05-20-12, 06:45 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
How long's this rattle been happening? And when's the last time the cabin filter was replaced? Because the cause of this problem is someone replacing the cabin air filter without setting it to recirculation mode first, which is stated clearly in the manual. If you replaced it last, then now you know. But if it was a shop or dealer that did it fairly recently, I'd be heading back to them to have them fix it.

Unfortunately I was the one that did it. I guess I will need to examine the situation and figure it out. Thanks for responses.
Old 05-20-12, 11:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn another member with a broken cabin filter door.
Lexus should have seriously put a warning label on that filter door from the factory!
O well, glad you figured out what the issue was tho.