IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 deal-breakers...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 08:22 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never had any problem with the Nav freezing up or slow etc. The map data would be a bit outdated if you have one of the earlier model year car, but nothing that can't be fixed with an upgrade. I have an iphone, but i always use the Lexus Nav when i need navigation. I've used it enough times including long road trip, and it has worked very well for me and no major complaints.
Old 04-23-12, 01:09 PM
krazyboi
Rookie

I have an 06 IS 350 with 55k miles and no rattles.. I had the dealer update the Nav and it is fine for me. IMO the lexus Nav is easy to use compared to some other cars... and like TimboIS said-I like the backup camera, BT, voice command, etc that comes with it...
Old 04-23-12, 04:07 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

thank you for the replies! what seems to be the deal breaker for me.. is that

it is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to find a WHITE IS350 >25,000$ with Premium AND Sports Package (Nav)...

Old 04-24-12, 07:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooklynNY
thank you for the replies! what seems to be the deal breaker for me.. is that

it is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to find a WHITE IS350 >25,000$ with Premium AND Sports Package (Nav)...

well, one reason might be they don't make the car with premium and sport. Any ad that lists both is lying (or more likely doesn't know what it's talking about)

Plus, Nav has nothing to do with either.

Quick education on how optioning actually works on the 350 (this is for 06-10 models; more on that in a bit)

The following packages are EXCLUSIVE of each other (that is, you can not get more than one on a car)

Premium (this is just woodgrain and heated/vented seats- nothing else)

Luxury package (this has the same stuff as premium, plus a bunch of added items- HIDs, Rain sensing wipers, memory seats, auto-tilt side mirrors, power tilt/tele steering, rear sunshade and illuminated door sills)- NOTE: There is a lux package with just the above, and also one with the above plus 18" wheels... the one without the 18s exists but is very very uncommon.

Sport package (This is the same stuff as the luxury package, minus the woodgrain, sunshade, and illiuminated door sills... but it ADDS the sport suspension, sport pedals, and aluminum door sills)... and the sport package ONLY comes with the 18" wheels.

So a car can only have one of those.

Nav is an entirely standalone option, not part of any above package. The only "options" regarding nav are these:

You can get Nav by itself.
You can get Mark Levinson by itself (probably the rarest option on the 2IS- and dropped for the 2010 MY)
You can get Nav WITH Mark Levinson together (this is the only one that gives you a DVD changer and plays movies)

Other standalone options (not part of any package) include:

park assist
Pre-collison system (probably the second rarest 2IS option)
headlamp washers
rear spoiler
HIDs (for 07-10 folks who didn't get sport or lux- for 06 this was not offered at all standalone)

The one weirdo here is the X package- offered 07-09... It CAN be combined with the premium package (but not sport or lux) and it contains the sport suspension, the sport pedals, illuminated door sills, front lip spoiler, and special X-pack-only 18" wheels.... it was also the only way in the US to get one without a sunroof (you could order X package with or without one)

2011-2012 are a little different- PCS no longer is offered, passenger side memory seat is deleted entirely, HIDs become standard but no longer offer AFS, the X package is gone... and the Sport package is replaced with the (IMHO) much inferior F-sport package that keeps the sport suspension but replaces all the other functional features with cosmetics and badges, plus deletes the vented seats.(albeit in exchange for better side bolstering)
Old 04-24-12, 08:29 AM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
well, one reason might be they don't make the car with premium and sport. Any ad that lists both is lying (or more likely doesn't know what it's talking about)

Plus, Nav has nothing to do with either.

Quick education on how optioning actually works on the 350 (this is for 06-10 models; more on that in a bit)

The following packages are EXCLUSIVE of each other (that is, you can not get more than one on a car)

Premium (this is just woodgrain and heated/vented seats- nothing else)

Luxury package (this has the same stuff as premium, plus a bunch of added items- HIDs, Rain sensing wipers, memory seats, auto-tilt side mirrors, power tilt/tele steering, rear sunshade and illuminated door sills)- NOTE: There is a lux package with just the above, and also one with the above plus 18" wheels... the one without the 18s exists but is very very uncommon.

Sport package (This is the same stuff as the luxury package, minus the woodgrain, sunshade, and illiuminated door sills... but it ADDS the sport suspension, sport pedals, and aluminum door sills)... and the sport package ONLY comes with the 18" wheels.

So a car can only have one of those.

Nav is an entirely standalone option, not part of any above package. The only "options" regarding nav are these:

You can get Nav by itself.
You can get Mark Levinson by itself (probably the rarest option on the 2IS- and dropped for the 2010 MY)
You can get Nav WITH Mark Levinson together (this is the only one that gives you a DVD changer and plays movies)

Other standalone options (not part of any package) include:

park assist
Pre-collison system (probably the second rarest 2IS option)
headlamp washers
rear spoiler
HIDs (for 07-10 folks who didn't get sport or lux- for 06 this was not offered at all standalone)

The one weirdo here is the X package- offered 07-09... It CAN be combined with the premium package (but not sport or lux) and it contains the sport suspension, the sport pedals, illuminated door sills, front lip spoiler, and special X-pack-only 18" wheels.... it was also the only way in the US to get one without a sunroof (you could order X package with or without one)

2011-2012 are a little different- PCS no longer is offered, passenger side memory seat is deleted entirely, HIDs become standard but no longer offer AFS, the X package is gone... and the Sport package is replaced with the (IMHO) much inferior F-sport package that keeps the sport suspension but replaces all the other functional features with cosmetics and badges, plus deletes the vented seats.(albeit in exchange for better side bolstering)
I understand NAV is standalone option, I was just stating it is what I am looking for, I do appreciate breaking down the 3 forms that it comes in.

As for Premium and Sport, I got mixed up when reading the 2IS Buyers Guide, All premium options come with the Sport Package which was what I was implying but thank you for clarifying the package aren't together,

SO now I can re-clarify, it is extremely rare and difficult to find an IS350 Sports Package in White with Navigation! As for a spoiler, I can always put on an IS-F spoiler in the future,, so that is not a must.

That might be a deal breaker for me, chaning my mind because of the time it takes to find what I want with a clean car fax, low miles, nice service history etc..
Old 04-24-12, 08:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooklynNY
SO now I can re-clarify, it is extremely rare and difficult to find an IS350 Sports Package in White with Navigation! As for a spoiler, I can always put on an IS-F spoiler in the future,, so that is not a must.

That might be a deal breaker for me, chaning my mind because of the time it takes to find what I want with a clean car fax, low miles, nice service history etc..

Well, yeah, it's a numbers game at that point... something like only 1 in 5 2ISes sold are 350s to begin with... then among those sport is the least common of the 3 major option packages, and then you also want one specific color... plus low miles, no accidents, clean service... that's not that many cars at all, and even fewer used ones being sold.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...19188270&Log=0

23.9k for a 2008, Sport package, Nav, no accidents listed... and white.

Dunno if 68k miles is low enough for you though, but it fits otherwise.
Old 04-25-12, 12:28 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I much prefer the features of an aftermarket GPS, but bought my IS with nav because of the reverse camera (plus, who really wants a GPS unit stuck to the windshield all the time).

Lexus sent me a survey about my car after I bought it and I did complain that for under $200 I could get a superior nav device that I could customize in every way, yet for $2k I have no ability to personalize the settings.

I am still dissapointed that I cannot see my XM info (atrist/title) info while on navigation (would a bar at the top really be too distracting??).