IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Traction control and check engine light help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 08:54 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction control and check engine light help!

I was out driving and all of a sudden my check engine light and traction control went on. I checked my traction control button and it is on so I have no clue what's going on. Anyone ever have this problem? I already contacted Lexus and have a checkup on Monday, just want to know if it might be serious or not. Thanks
Old 03-26-12, 09:14 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I put one some after market wheels and new tail lights and mine been on ever since, brought it to the dealer and told me it was because i didnt have the wheel censors in the tires and low offset dont know how true that is.....
Old 03-27-12, 06:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blkis_250
I was out driving and all of a sudden my check engine light and traction control went on. I checked my traction control button and it is on so I have no clue what's going on. Anyone ever have this problem? I already contacted Lexus and have a checkup on Monday, just want to know if it might be serious or not. Thanks
The trac/vsc thing comes on anytime there's a check engine light.

it can be literally anything from "You forgot to tighten your gas cap" to "You need a new engine"

Only way to know is get the codes scanned (dealer under warranty, or most auto parts places scan free if out of warranty)
Old 03-27-12, 09:15 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First step is to tighten your gas cap. This accounts for a majority of random CELs.

If it doesn't go away after a bit of driving, I'd take your car to an independent auto shop or an Autozone-type store to get the codes scanned, since this is the only way to know anything about what's causing the issue. Personally I'd recommend just picking up a $30 OBDII scanner off Amazon, I'm sure it'll pay for itself.
Old 03-27-12, 10:28 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last time I had that happen is when the vacuum line fell off the plug on the intake - resulting in lean a/f mixture in both banks.
Old 03-27-12, 08:25 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The trac/vsc thing comes on anytime there's a check engine light.

it can be literally anything from "You forgot to tighten your gas cap" to "You need a new engine"

Only way to know is get the codes scanned (dealer under warranty, or most auto parts places scan free if out of warranty)
That makes me feel better, at least it could just be something small making it come on. I'll look into my gas cap even though i haven't filled up in over a week. Also would you happen to know how much it might cost to extend warranties with lexus? my 3 year warranty ends this year
Old 03-27-12, 08:39 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have those lights along with the TPMS for over a year. I have no TPMS sensors. So, I know that issue.
The other code was the 02 oxygen sensor. I have not replaced it. Lights are still there.
Old 03-27-12, 08:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blkis_250
That makes me feel better, at least it could just be something small making it come on. I'll look into my gas cap even though i haven't filled up in over a week. Also would you happen to know how much it might cost to extend warranties with lexus? my 3 year warranty ends this year
Factory warranty is 4 years or 50k miles, whichever comes first.

There's a few guys online who sell genuine lexus warranties a lot cheaper than most local dealers... Jerry Johnson is who I got mine from (and was the cheapest of the 3 most common guys doing it at the time- him, Toby Rivers, and Troy Dietrich)

Contact info for Jerry:
Jerry Johnson
800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

you can find info for the other 2 guys pretty easily with a search on their names
Old 06-29-16, 06:17 AM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys, I am new to the Thread. I just wanted to say that I had Issues with my Lexus IS250 which has 150 000 Canadian Km. one Day I lost power and the Car would not accelerate . I had to pull over . Turn off the car then turn it back on . A week after the Engine light came on with message check VSC and Traction control light came on as well. I took it to Lexus and they told me Error Was P0420 Bank 1 was the issue and suggested replacing the catalytic converter for $1500. I took it to my local mechanic for full inspection and suggested to replace my Spark Plugs as they are over due then the Oxygen sensor then the Catalytic converter at the very end. first thing i did was change my Spark Plugs with brand new OEM ones . Lexus wanted to charge me $85 per Spark Plug. Lexus Is250 needs 6 spark plugs. So you do the Math. I went on Ebay and Found 6 OEM brand new plugs for $80..................... . my Mechanic had them replaced under 2 hours and guess what........ No more Traction control or engine light for the past 3 weeks. I drive the car daily at least 60 km/day. Now If you have the P0420 error Here is where I recommend.

1. Check your gas tank cover, gas tank neck shield. make sure it is not broken
2. If you always used cheap gas and not premium you might have carbon build up
3. In my case . Spark plugs were not changed since it was initially purchased. Lexus Recommond you change them every 80-100k.
4. Change the O2 Sensor for B1 if you have P0420 error
5. Check for Leaks. I also had a small leak under the Heat Shield.
6. Perform Full car Inspection which cost only around $80 at Canadian Tire or local mechanic.

If none of these option work for you. I would then suggest changing your Catalytic converter .
The following users liked this post:
Jmccall4 (12-03-21)
Old 07-21-16, 12:12 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you!

Originally Posted by memoalkati

3. In my case . Spark plugs were not changed since it was initially purchased. Lexus Recommond you change them every 80-100k.
6. Perform Full car Inspection which cost only around $80 at Canadian Tire or local mechanic.

If none of these option work for you. I would then suggest changing your Catalytic converter .
Old 07-21-16, 02:19 PM
goozer
Driver School Candidate

I have an 01 LX470 and every brake light imaginable is on including the parking brake. Local shop couldn't get their computer to communicate with the car. Brakes work fine........been driving it for 10K now but I'd like to get the issue resolved. Any ideas? I've read something about sensors that are on every wheel and the repair was $$$
Old 08-16-16, 08:03 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by memoalkati
Hey Guys, I am new to the Thread. I just wanted to say that I had Issues with my Lexus IS250 which has 150 000 Canadian Km. one Day I lost power and the Car would not accelerate . I had to pull over . Turn off the car then turn it back on . A week after the Engine light came on with message check VSC and Traction control light came on as well. I took it to Lexus and they told me Error Was P0420 Bank 1 was the issue and suggested replacing the catalytic converter for $1500. I took it to my local mechanic for full inspection and suggested to replace my Spark Plugs as they are over due then the Oxygen sensor then the Catalytic converter at the very end. first thing i did was change my Spark Plugs with brand new OEM ones . Lexus wanted to charge me $85 per Spark Plug. Lexus Is250 needs 6 spark plugs. So you do the Math. I went on Ebay and Found 6 OEM brand new plugs for $80..................... . my Mechanic had them replaced under 2 hours and guess what........ No more Traction control or engine light for the past 3 weeks. I drive the car daily at least 60 km/day. Now If you have the P0420 error Here is where I recommend.

What does complete check up entails ? They usually do it along with Oil change as well
Old 08-16-16, 09:07 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

For the 3rd time: GET THE CODE SCANNED. How can you guys start suggesting the fix without knowing what is wrong?
Old 08-18-16, 02:13 PM
goozer
Driver School Candidate

My code scan came up empty. Something about a "module" as I recall but the garage had no idea where to start and they couldn't clear the code.
Old 08-18-16, 03:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

How did it come up empty if they couldn't clear the code? If the light is on, there's a code. If you can't read it, my suggestion is to find someone who can.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Traction control and check engine light help!