IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

G-Spider paint issue (leopard print stains...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 01:00 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Spider paint issue (leopard print stains...)

So, I take off my winter rims and throw the spiders back on. They looked a little dirty so I wash them and realize it wasn't dirt, but the paint... It almost looks wet, but the paint is actually dark in some spots. It feels the same (surface texture), but looks much darker in some sort of random splashing...

What do I do??? Anyone else have this issue? (pics to follow)

A year earlier, I took my car to a wheel repair place to look at some road rash. The guy told me that these rims do not come with a clear coat and certain cleaners can hurt them. He recommended clear coating the rims after he fixed the rash. Is this true, no clear coat on factory spiders???
Old 03-12-12, 06:30 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F...-14-04_290.jpg
Old 03-14-12, 08:42 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Any of the Lexus techs have feedback on this?
Old 03-14-12, 09:10 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

By any chance did Lil' Wayne go over and sit on your wheens while they were in storage?
Old 03-14-12, 09:34 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the real question is did you let the guy clearcoat them or not?
Old 03-14-12, 10:31 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

I did not have the wheel fixer clear-coat them. I'm wondering if I should have...

He is going to give me a quote to repaint all of the wheels, but I'm not looking forward to that. I have seen new shipped for $900, but then I need to mount them (+$100 min) and get them clear-coated so it doesn't happen again (+$$$???).

Not a happy camper...
Old 03-14-12, 10:33 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mancebof
By any chance did Lil' Wayne go over and sit on your wheens while they were in storage?
Yeah, not even going to pretend I get that reference... I'm a little old I guess
Old 03-14-12, 10:51 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sconnie
I did not have the wheel fixer clear-coat them. I'm wondering if I should have...

He is going to give me a quote to repaint all of the wheels, but I'm not looking forward to that. I have seen new shipped for $900, but then I need to mount them (+$100 min) and get them clear-coated so it doesn't happen again (+$$$???).

Not a happy camper...
before you do that, would you mind if I posted the pic on another forum I frequent? The detailers that hang out there might have some suggestions for you.

What make/model are the wheels again? these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-G-Spid...sories&vxp=mtr

Is the staining on all the wheels all over or just a few places? I'm assuming these stains were not there when you stored them for the winter? What did you use to wash them most recently?

Last edited by embolism; 03-14-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 11:09 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Yes, that would be great!

That looks like the right wheel. Here is the link from Sewell also:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1939.html

Right before winter, I went to a car wash where it gets pulled though a line with brushes. Before it goes through, they use a spray bottle to spray something on the rims. When I have seen them do it, they usually don't spray evenly at all, more of a squirt gun shot around the rim. The markings look like the coverage of the spray. Some rims it is a little more visible, but it is on all 4...

The rims have been in my garage all winter. It doesn't leak and the rims are lined up against the wall, one on an adjacent wall (so it would be hard to imagine something could splash on them all). I kind of remember the marks when I took them off (just before x-mas), but it was very cold and I wasn't paying that much attention. I probably assumed it was just dirt, like i did before I tried to wash them...

Let me know what you hear!
Old 03-14-12, 11:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like staining from tire dressing or some sort of cleaner. I've seen this on regular rims too, if people don't clean off the residue and it gets a chance to soak in over time.
Old 03-14-12, 12:17 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

Possible fixes? If repainting is the only option, what should I expect to pay?
Old 03-14-12, 12:22 PM
yoegster
Driver

I noticed a little on my F-Sport wheel. Very small, but not thrilled. The only thing I could think it was was tire dressing over-spray, the only possible thing that could be left on my wheels....
So now...
http://rimbrim.com/
Old 03-14-12, 01:22 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

Yeah, I never use that because I'm afraid of what it would do to the rims...
Old 03-14-12, 01:28 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sconnie
Yes, that would be great!

That looks like the right wheel. Here is the link from Sewell also:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1939.html

Right before winter, I went to a car wash where it gets pulled though a line with brushes. Before it goes through, they use a spray bottle to spray something on the rims. When I have seen them do it, they usually don't spray evenly at all, more of a squirt gun shot around the rim. The markings look like the coverage of the spray. Some rims it is a little more visible, but it is on all 4...

The rims have been in my garage all winter. It doesn't leak and the rims are lined up against the wall, one on an adjacent wall (so it would be hard to imagine something could splash on them all). I kind of remember the marks when I took them off (just before x-mas), but it was very cold and I wasn't paying that much attention. I probably assumed it was just dirt, like i did before I tried to wash them...

Let me know what you hear!
Ok then I had a feeling this is what it was. When you go to those car wash places they use harsh alkaline cleaners on your wheels. Many times, the wheels are also pretty hot from the metal dust flying off the brake pads. This is a bad combination for any wheel, even those with clearcoat. You can try to polish the stains out with compound. Your stains look pretty bad though.

I'll post up some examples of the same thing happening to others that visit these wash places. The same remedies suggested should also apply in your situation.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...bmw-135-a.html

your wheels are not uncoated aluminum but here's what can happen if you use the wrong cleaner on them
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ed-acid-2.html

Last edited by embolism; 03-14-12 at 02:11 PM. Reason: links added
Old 03-14-12, 01:40 PM
Mancebof
Pole Position

I don't think moutning should cost you that much. I just payed 35 dollars to a local shop to swap out the tpms to some new wheels i bought then mount new tires balance them and put them on the car. I also got quoted to powdercoat my 17's for 280.

Quick Reply: G-Spider paint issue (leopard print stains...)