IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Impressed!!I dont need a prius!

Old 01-18-12, 08:47 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you guys have that mpg meter in that spot? like I been trying to find out how to turn that on because when I'm driving it doesn't show anything in that spot, just a blank screen.
Old 01-18-12, 08:58 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingCUONG
how do you guys have that mpg meter in that spot? like I been trying to find out how to turn that on because when I'm driving it doesn't show anything in that spot, just a blank screen.
"disp." button on steering wheel.
Old 01-18-12, 08:59 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingCUONG
Press the "DISP" button on the steering wheel cycle to the display you want. For me, I have it set to display the gear position instead.
Old 01-19-12, 04:45 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
I did the math on a trip, mine was only 2 mpg off in the wrong direction, saying I was getting 26 instead of 28. 11mpg off? Might want to look at that.
I've compared the trip computer tank average with a manual calculation literally dozens of times, and mine too has never been off by more than a MPG or two.

That said, the "tank average" gets more accurate the more you drive on each tank. When you fill up, the number fluctuates wildly, and it's very easy to snap pictures of MPG values that are way out of line with reality. By the time you're ready for a fillup, even a jackrabbit start is unlikely to budge the number much, and the number should be far more accurate.
Old 01-19-12, 05:11 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I keep track of my MPG's over time and over the last ear or so i'm sitting at an average of 24.7 70/30 mix of city/highway. The tank average is pretty dead on (within 1mpg typically) at the end of a tank. For the first 100miles it changes a lot.

Originally Posted by Bichon
I've compared the trip computer tank average with a manual calculation literally dozens of times, and mine too has never been off by more than a MPG or two.

That said, the "tank average" gets more accurate the more you drive on each tank. When you fill up, the number fluctuates wildly, and it's very easy to snap pictures of MPG values that are way out of line with reality. By the time you're ready for a fillup, even a jackrabbit start is unlikely to budge the number much, and the number should be far more accurate.
Old 01-19-12, 07:47 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the gas mileage my IS250 gets as well! I keep track of everything separately to and do my own calculations to compare to the trip computer. Right now, it looks like the variable of real (calculated) MPG vs the trip display is somewhere between -2.5 and +1.8. I agree with Jbjones85 though, the first 100 miles on a tank it bounces around a lot, but after that it should be pretty consistent. For the first 25-50 miles i can get the car to read 40+ mpg. But after that 100 miles i'm usually right around 35-36 MPG, and then by the end of my tank i'm usually at 32-34 somewhere, unless i do some spirited runs, then i'm more like 30. Based on my calculated MPG, i'm getting between 30-34 MPG on mostly highway commutes. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the trip computer is more off when you drive mostly city than driving mostly highway. City driving is when it can read 2.5 mpg off from the actual MPG.
Old 01-19-12, 10:20 AM
Bodz123
Rookie

I get 26MPG in my 350. 40 miles round trip to work. All freeway flying 60-80mph in the morning (no traffic) stop and go all the way home (rush hour traffic)
Old 01-19-12, 10:47 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

I'm pretty jelly lol I only get about 22MPG in my 250 then again I do a lot of city driving
Old 01-19-12, 11:07 AM
smackman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 mpg difference for me also

I did the math on a trip, mine was only 2 mpg off in the wrong direction, saying I was getting 26 instead of 28. 11mpg off? Might want to look at that.
My 250 2011 convertible is approx 2mpg off not in my favor but not 11mpg. Something wrong with your calculator.

Also, We average 27 mpg in the convertible with 85% highway, 15% city and the topless 50% of the time.
Old 01-19-12, 03:14 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have bought the Prius if I were concerned over mpg. Also, I probably would have done the 200h, you know, the baller carolla...
Old 01-19-12, 04:39 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNIVET
Holy ****.
No offense to anyone in this thread... especially you OP...
But the "MPG" gauge on your instrument cluster is the ****TIEST way in life to know your MPG's...

One time on a road trip to Arkansas, I filled up, Reset to 0.. went 70mph cruise control on for over 5 hours... it shows 36mpg...
I stopped by a gas station and filled up back to full and divided my miles driven since last fill up by the gallons of gas used and it showed 25mpg... the "amazing" instrument cluster mpg gizmo way 11mpg off... and yes, that was reading the one that says "tank average"...

That gizmo is a THEORETICAL calculation...
the vehicles ECM looks at numerous variables such as but not limited to the amount of fuel left in the tank, engine rpm, engine load (load is determined by the MAF, and the amount of air passing through it as well as Throttle position) and im sure HUNDREDS of other factors...

It just uses these factors and determines what your "MPG" is and displays it on the instrument cluster...
It is WAY off.. on every SINGLE CAR I have EVER driven...

If you ever go by that thing your a TOTAL moron.

Good luck.
Mine has not been that inaccurate. It's not the first time I've seen people criticize the accuracy of that gauge, but mine has not been off by much. Also, I like the "no offense, but... your a TOTAL moron."

The multiple sources of irony are kind of overwhelming.
Old 01-19-12, 07:10 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

So if you getting 35-38mpg then your full tank must of read 600miles till fill? I dout that but like most have said it just and average. I actual go by my odmeter.
Old 01-19-12, 07:21 PM
bloodz0r
Driver School Candidate

avg 35~ 38 mpg when i did LA to fresno trip
Old 01-19-12, 07:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I would have bought the Prius if I were concerned over mpg. Also, I probably would have done the 200h, you know, the baller carolla...
Think you're confusing the HS250h with the CT200H.

CT200H is nothing like a corolla.

HS250H is a "baller" Corolla.
Old 01-19-12, 07:58 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

"disp." button on steering wheel.
Originally Posted by Sango
Press the "DISP" button on the steering wheel cycle to the display you want. For me, I have it set to display the gear position instead.
thanks broos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impressed!!I dont need a prius!