IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Powertrain warranty almost over..... can I extend it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 07:25 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrain warranty almost over..... can I extend it??

With all this carbon build up stuff happening and Lexus replacing piston rings/valves/ etc. It has me worried that I only have 3k miles left till my powertrain warranty is up.

2007 IS250 awd 67000 miles.

To make matters worse, on Sunday I was sitting at a red light and the CHECK VSC message appeared while the engine light was blinking and the car had no power at all (limp mode).

The car has done this ONCE before, sometime in November, but no check vsc and no engine light, just reduced power for the first 30 seconds of driving..

Of course I reported it to lexus, the guy wants me to come in, pay 130 diagnosis fee and if they find something they will do the top end cleaning.

On sunday I found a spot to turn the car off, turned it back on and it's been trouble free since.

my service adviser has offered to take the car for a day and it "sounds like" we will be able to scan the ecu for codes and offer the top end cleaning for you.

1. I don't want to waste his time or my time.
2. I do have pretty poor MPG, somewhere around 21 mpg, then again I only drive 3 miles to work all back roads at about 30 mph.
3. If i take the car in will this guy be able to see what happened on Sunday?
4. Do they sell extended powertrain warranties?

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by J3ffrey; 01-03-12 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 07:33 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

From what I have seen, there are about three guys that sell extended Lexus warranties for very good prices. I think their around $1,700 depending on what you want. Search around and I'm sure you can find their names. Although I beleive all Lexus dealerships can sell a extended warranty.

You have to pay $130 fee to find out whats wrong? I thought all warranty stuff was free?
Old 01-03-12, 07:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
With all this carbon build up stuff happening and Lexus replacing piston rings/valves/ etc. It has me worried that I only have 3k miles left till my powertrain warranty is up.

2007 IS250 awd 67000 miles.

To make matters worse, on Sunday I was sitting at a red light and the CHECK VSC message appeared while the engine light was blinking and the car had no power at all (limp mode).

The car has done this ONCE before, sometime in November, but no check vsc and no engine light, just reduced power for the first 30 seconds of driving..

Of course I reported it to lexus, the guy wants me to come in, pay 130 diagnosis fee and if they find something they will do the top end cleaning.

On sunday I found a spot to turn the car off, turned it back on and it's been trouble free since.

my service adviser has offered to take the car for a day and it "sounds like" we will be able to scan the ecu for codes and offer the top end cleaning for you.

1. I don't want to waste his time or my time.
2. I do have pretty poor MPG, somewhere around 21 mpg, then again I only drive 3 miles to work all back roads at about 30 mph.
3. If i take the car in will this guy be able to see what happened on Sunday?
4. Do they sell extended powertrain warranties?

Thanks for any and all help!

Up to 4 yr.50K miles...with 67K miles..no on a Lexus extended warranty..
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes...missed the 67k miles part
Old 01-03-12, 08:01 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

You can get an extended bumper to bumper as long as you are within the 4/50k time line. At this point i think you are going to be limited to just extending the powertrain. do a search for extended warranty but there are a few guys that sell them a lot cheaper than you can get them through your local Lexus dealership.
Old 01-03-12, 08:59 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Up to 4 yr.50K miles...with 67K miles..no on a Lexus extended warranty..
I was hoping I could extend the power train warranty, not the basic one.
Old 01-03-12, 10:34 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, you should still be able to. Do a search on the forum for Troy D or Jerry J and it should pull up some threads with all the info and their contact info. Both guys are very helpful and will get you the best price. it was very close to half what my local dealership wanted.

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
I was hoping I could extend the power train warranty, not the basic one.
Old 01-03-12, 11:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
You have to pay $130 fee to find out whats wrong? I thought all warranty stuff was free?
He'll have to pay $130 if there is no warrantable issue found. If they find a problem, he won't be charged the diagnostic fee.

Jeff
Old 01-03-12, 11:09 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
He'll have to pay $130 if there is no warrantable issue found. If they find a problem, he won't be charged the diagnostic fee.

Jeff
My worry is that I bring it to the dealership, it performs fine and they say "nothings wrong, pay me 130 bucks."

I'm a tech guy and I have personally seen computers work 100% correct when I am looking at them, but users swear up and down that something is wrong. I'll then take it and use it for a WEEK and see what they are talking about.

The only thing is I don't expect the service adviser to drive my car for so long that it happens again.

I've owned this car since january of last year (it was a popular thread here when I bought it...something about it being repossessed) and this was the first time it went into limp mode.
Old 01-03-12, 11:18 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What dealership do you go to?
Here in Southern California, Lexus of Westminster is probably the best dealership in the area for service.

I noticed some rough idling and shaking when coming to a stop, so I took it in for the Top Engine Cleaning while I had my oil changed. They held my car for 3 days because the first two, they were unable to replicate the error codes on test drives, but on the third day it popped up. A lot of dealerships after the first day will dismiss the car as behaving normally, but other dealerships that take the time to properly diagnose will notice the issue.

Try going to a better service center in your area. And getting charged $130 for diagnostics, I can foresee them tacking on that bill and not performing the service, and it may take you 2 or 3 more visits where they will tack on that $130 charge each time until they realize the issue.
Old 01-03-12, 11:25 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDKane527
Here in Southern California, Lexus of Westminster is probably the best dealership in the area for service.

I noticed some rough idling and shaking when coming to a stop, so I took it in for the Top Engine Cleaning while I had my oil changed. They held my car for 3 days because the first two, they were unable to replicate the error codes on test drives, but on the third day it popped up. A lot of dealerships after the first day will dismiss the car as behaving normally, but other dealerships that take the time to properly diagnose will notice the issue.

Try going to a better service center in your area. And getting charged $130 for diagnostics, I can foresee them tacking on that bill and not performing the service, and it may take you 2 or 3 more visits where they will tack on that $130 charge each time until they realize the issue.
I take it to Lexus of Greenwich. I'm hoping that the car will do it again this week. I'll just drive it down to them and say 'here you go'

Frustrating that I bought a lexus to get away from this type of issue. Even my bronco, camaro, firebird, blazer ... didn't have carbon build up causing misfires and stalling. On those cars it was other things that drove me crazy (poor interior and lighting)
Old 01-03-12, 02:11 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd invest $30 in an OBDII scanner to read the codes that are causing the CEL. That'll tell you if it's something as simple as a loose gas cap or if it's more complicated requiring you to bring it in. Might save you the diagnostic fee. You can also use this scanner to clear old codes (like if you tighten the gas cap and clear the code then drive around to see if it returns).
Old 01-03-12, 03:34 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'd invest $30 in an OBDII scanner to read the codes that are causing the CEL. That'll tell you if it's something as simple as a loose gas cap or if it's more complicated requiring you to bring it in. Might save you the diagnostic fee. You can also use this scanner to clear old codes (like if you tighten the gas cap and clear the code then drive around to see if it returns).

Ordered one off of amazon! Hopefully it throws the code.
Old 01-03-12, 03:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDKane527

+1. Longo Lexus is very good too. I've never had any issues with getting things taken care of under warranty.