IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'06 is350 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 01:11 AM
micel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 is350 will not start

IS350 would not start last night.I do not think it is the battery because when I hit start button to start engine headlights would not dim,plus the brake pedal was stuck to the floor.No power anywhere in car except for headlights and they did not even dim a little when trying to start engine.Any Ideas?
Old 12-05-11, 06:18 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any CELs? I'd check the codes with an OBDII scanner. You could also grab a battery tester and check it before you try jumping it.
Old 12-05-11, 06:43 AM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

This happens to my girlfriends RX330 when listening to the radio too long when the car is in auxiliary mode and not running. We jump hers when this happens and it solves the issue.

I'd love to know the fix for you when you determine it.
Old 12-05-11, 07:36 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My first thought would be that it's the car's main battery. You can also try holding your key fob right next to the push button start (your key fob battery might be dead).
Old 12-05-11, 07:59 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

BTW, I raced a new STi sedan, still with 30 day tags, and I absolutely destroyed it. The newer ones are slower.
Old 12-05-11, 09:08 AM
micel
Rookie

Default no start issue

No CEL's,scanning is next.
I was talking on bluetooth for 15min.+/- with engine stopped,went shopping for 1hr. and then no start.
The headlights were bright,which would lead me to think battery was good.The fob has a 2month old battery and works trunk release fine.
If you destroyed a new STI he was baiting you,or if it was a manual he might not know how to drive a stick.I believe they are low 13sec 1/4 and are well below 5sec to 60.
Old 12-05-11, 09:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by micel
No CEL's,scanning is next.
I was talking on bluetooth for 15min.+/- with engine stopped,went shopping for 1hr. and then no start.
The headlights were bright,which would lead me to think battery was good.The fob has a 2month old battery and works trunk release fine.
If you destroyed a new STI he was baiting you,or if it was a manual he might not know how to drive a stick.I believe they are low 13sec 1/4 and are well below 5sec to 60.
Motortrend rates the 2011 STi at 5 second 0-60, and 13.6 1/4 mile... the IS350 can run 4.9 and mid-low 13s.

I agree if it was a 'destroyed' situation it was likely a manual driver who was driving suboptimally (or he didn't realize he was racing), but the STi is gonna likely lose that race assuming competent drivers and a decent road surface...engine hp is about the same, slight tq advantage to the STI, but that AWD system is gonna suck some power away in drivetrain losses...and I think the IS is geared a touch more aggressively

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-05-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 10:34 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is the subject of racing an STI even remotely related to his car not starting?

btw, I had peach cobbler last night. See?

Anyway, it's probably you're battery. The headlights can appear bright even though there arent enough amps to turn the engine over. Voltage and amperage are different animals.

Does your starter engage the engine? or is there no response or very little?
Old 12-05-11, 10:44 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Sounds like your battery to me. I had the same issue. The lights and everything would still come on but the battery was done. Good luck!
Old 12-05-11, 11:14 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinkin the same thing 06isDriver LOL

I would also check the battery first. How old is it?
Old 12-05-11, 11:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by micel
,plus the brake pedal was stuck to the floor.?
Does the light in the start button change from amber to green when you press the brake? It has to be green for the car to even attempt to start. After multiple times pressing the brake without the engine running, the booster will be depleted of vacuum, and so it will be harder to press the brake far enough for the light to turn green.

If not that, I agree with the others that a weak battery is the most likely culprit.

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
btw, I had peach cobbler last night. See?
I had gumbo and jambalaya. And you're the one in Louisiana?
Old 12-05-11, 11:24 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had oatmeal for breakfast today.....and change your battery!
Old 12-05-11, 01:55 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Does the light in the start button change from amber to green when you press the brake? It has to be green for the car to even attempt to start. After multiple times pressing the brake without the engine running, the booster will be depleted of vacuum, and so it will be harder to press the brake far enough for the light to turn green.

If not that, I agree with the others that a weak battery is the most likely culprit.

I had gumbo and jambalaya. And you're the one in Louisiana?
Yeah maybe you're not pushing the brake hard enough to deactivate the safety cutout. It gets very hard when there is no vacuum for the power brakes so use some muscle. If you still can't get the brake down, then override the safety cutout by holding down the start button until it starts, I think for about 60 seconds.
Old 12-05-11, 03:10 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dgsx1997
This happens to my girlfriends RX330 when listening to the radio too long when the car is in auxiliary mode and not running. We jump hers when this happens and it solves the issue.

I'd love to know the fix for you when you determine it.
happen to my car as well just jumped my car and it wouldnt hold a charge. i can jump and drive around but after i turned the car off... it would need another jump../. figured out it needed di water.... added DI water into the battery and drove to the dealership. got a new battery out of it through warranty...
Old 12-05-11, 03:29 PM
micel
Rookie

Default no start issue

Got car started by jumping and using extra pressure on brake pedal.The battery showed 12.1v, before attempting to start .The button would show no color,green and red sometimes,it was like the whole electrical system was going crazy, the radio, a/c,dash lights,almost everything except headlights when I depressed start button.I would get a few solenoid clicks but it acts like starter system acts as if it is totally separate of headlights because there is no twitching of light brightness when starter button is pushed.It seems as if starter never really engages.Could a faulty stop switch fuse 7.5A in passenger fuse box may be cause this ,I thought fuses were either all or none.

Quick Reply: '06 is350 will not start