IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 AWD Can someone help me look at the dealer's offers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 01:24 PM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I'm asian as well - a CBC to be exact (Chinese born Canadian)

Anyone can drive RWD, it just takes practice in the snow. Best advise, find an empty lot and drive your car around, this way it will help you get with your driving skills in the snow in how to properly control what it can and cannot do in ice/snow.
haha I am also CBC (Chinese born Californian), who rencently moved to the East Coast. To be honest I haven't driven on snow in my whole life, and I am not sure if RWD was useless, it was just what ppl told me before I decided to buy a car. People also told me RWD was more fun to drive in general. let me practice on AWD before heading on the real fun
Old 12-01-11, 01:24 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like driver error.... If my parents can drive RWD's with winter tires back in the day (ie. Supra!), no problem on the roads here.
Old 12-01-11, 01:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Sounds like driver error.... If my parents can drive RWD's with winter tires back in the day (ie. Supra!), no problem on the roads here.
and probably with no positraction too.
Old 12-01-11, 01:47 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsunflow
haha I am also CBC (Chinese born Californian), who rencently moved to the East Coast. To be honest I haven't driven on snow in my whole life, and I am not sure if RWD was useless, it was just what ppl told me before I decided to buy a car. People also told me RWD was more fun to drive in general. let me practice on AWD before heading on the real fun
Lol, I corrected my post. It's Canadian born Chinese. Technically for you, it would be ABC, American born Chinese.

It just takes practice if you're not used to it.

Usually the people who often get into accidents first over here is SUV's with AWDs because they think they are invincible and forget they cannot drive beyond the laws of physics!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
and probably with no positraction too.
Naa, they didn't press hard enough to take true advantage of it. I can control fine myself feathering the pedals on my IS.

Last edited by Sango; 12-01-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 03:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZaius7
Which you are forgetting is that the Car & Driver folks doing these tests are EXPERIENCED drivers...much more experienced than any of us.
I'm not sure how experience helps you with braking distance... you press the pedal all the way down, and time how far you travel before stopping.

Anyone with a working leg will get the same result.

And the snow tires on RWD stop significantly shorter than the AWD with all seasons... because the tires are what actually matters for stopping... AWD doesn't help there at all

So that may be true for them. I've had a RWD car with snow tires get stuck going up a hill without enough speed. An AWD car with good quality all seasons does not have this problem.

You can disagree all you like but every day of the week I would put my wife in an AWD car with GOOD all season tires before I put her in a RWD car with snow tires!

You'd rather put your wife in a car that can climb steeper hills, but takes an extra 20-40 feet to stop and also handles worse?

Why in the world would you do that?

The RWD car with snow tires stops in a lot shorter distance. This isn't an opinion, it's a measurable fact.

The snow tires provide double the handling benefit that AWD does, regardless of driver skill. This isn't an opinion, it's a measurable fact.

The RWD car with snow tires is demonstrably the safer car. That's not an opinion, it's a measurable fact.

Why would you prefer to put your wife in the less safe car on the inferior tires?

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-01-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 03:59 PM
TaYLoRGanG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsunflow
HI there,
I did call the number you provided but they basically told me that I was shopping too much. huh?
they said they could get it for me for 40075+shipping but the price I get is 41357-41856
They told me to go ahead get my current offer....
humm they responded to you quick....When I called they directed me to Mike Palriato ( I believe its how its pronounced) and he works with Lexus Dealerships and what he did was called up and contacted the managers at a few Lexus Dealerships to locate he best quote for you. This is something that doesn't happen with in one day, it took me about a full week almost for him to respond to me with a Dealership. Again he has to wait for a reply from the managers then he gets back with you. I would suggest you give him a call and if you are very interested in buying this vehicle, pay the membership fee and they will get you situated in a fast manner. ( Im an Asian Male also) hehe
Old 12-01-11, 07:33 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Huh?

No, it's not.

With proper snow tires it'll in fact be a lot safer than an AWD car with the all-season tires most AWD owners run.

Tires matter more than drivetrain for everything except climbing steep hills in snow (or drag racing in snow I suppose).... for things that matter to most folks in bad weather, like emergency manouvering or braking, tires>drivetrain everytime.

There's folks with RWD 350s (and IS-Fs for that matter) that get around fine in a lot worse winters than you get.

Even better, they don't have to eat the mileage and performance hit that AWD gives you year round, including the 8-10 months of the year there's no snow on the ground.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with most of what you have said above. Snow tires are a huge help but RWD is no match for AWD with a good set of all seasons.

Either way, I still put snow tires on my AWD. Difference in MPG between IS with RWD & AWD is negligible.

I live in upstate NY and had a GS 430 back int the day and got rid of it because of the RWD in the winters. I loved the new IS but waited for them to make it in AWD before I purchased.
Here we go again But it's all a bit of a useless argument because I highly doubt the OP will replace the stock tires at all, with either snow tires or really good all-seasons. So we're talking about an IS 350 RWD with the stock crappy all-seasons like Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 which has no hope on the snow or ice, or an IS 350 AWD with just as mediocre all-seasons like Bridgestone Potenza RE92, which might be slightly less crappy but will still eventually get stuck or lose control one day...
Old 12-01-11, 07:51 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

I think the point that should be taken away from this, is that whether you get an AWD or RWD model, get snow tires, they're better. AWD doesn't help you stop.

Jeff
Old 12-01-11, 10:39 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I'm a female with an IS350 RWD driving in the Northeast. My car drives great in the snow with snow tires. Although, I love driving, you seem to be uncomfortable with the whole process.

Try not to show your lack of confidence to the dealer...they will stomp all over you, like, well, a lil sunflower.

It is true that there are no significant differences between 2011 and 2012. Do you really need Park Assist? I have it and it's fun for squeezing into tight spots but no one should really need this.

The 2011 is a better financial decision. You are asking if you should pay $3500 more for Park Assist! The RWD will save you some money also.

Why do you think the Lexus Loyalty Cash only applies to that random list of people? LOL This rebate and December to Remember make it a great time to get a Lexus.

The first offer, from any dealer, especially on the first phone call is never good enough.

Concentrate on getting the lowest price on the car and don't complicate the deal with asking them to throw anything in after the fact. Especially service, don't get service at the dealer.