IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 AWD Can someone help me look at the dealer's offers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 08:56 PM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Have you considered only RWD version of what you wanted? Get to have the better aggressive stance on teh car if you went this way.
it snows in my city and RWD is useless in this kind of weather
Old 11-30-11, 09:43 PM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itruns
And I would expect very few 2011 IS350 left in 2012... they are far more rare than the IS250's
Hahaha yes 350 is rare and probably there are less people buying it. and why less people favor 350 besides the cost difference?

I don't mind getting 2012 or wait for 2013. maybe 2013 will be 3G, who knows

Last edited by lilsunflow; 11-30-11 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 10:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsunflow
It snows over here too, and there are X50 RWD's that run in the snow just fine. Just need put proper winter tires and no problem.

I used to drive 250 AWD too in the snow too - didn't really find any advantages compared to how I drove to a RWD to justify keeping it besides the instant up to 3 MPG hit for the AWD drivetrain.

Last edited by Sango; 11-30-11 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 06:40 AM
TaYLoRGanG
Driver

I would suggest you to go to fleetrates.com and give them a call, what they will do is they will have certain agents that work with the brand of car your getting and they will have certain dealerships from across the U.S that they know will give you the best deals. I purchased a 2011 IS250 in August and my local dealership wanted 37G without tax and the agent ended up finding me the best offer from Lexus of Pembroke Pines in Miami and i live in SC. They gave it to me for a total of 36G with tax and everything the price before the tax i believe was 33-34. So i saved 3G at least and they shipped it straight to my door at no charge. All you do is pay a 35$ membership fee over the phone and that is good for a year and the agents will help you find the best price.
Old 12-01-11, 07:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Huh?

No, it's not.

With proper snow tires it'll in fact be a lot safer than an AWD car with the all-season tires most AWD owners run.

Tires matter more than drivetrain for everything except climbing steep hills in snow (or drag racing in snow I suppose).... for things that matter to most folks in bad weather, like emergency manouvering or braking, tires>drivetrain everytime.

There's folks with RWD 350s (and IS-Fs for that matter) that get around fine in a lot worse winters than you get.

Even better, they don't have to eat the mileage and performance hit that AWD gives you year round, including the 8-10 months of the year there's no snow on the ground.
Old 12-01-11, 07:43 AM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

HI there,
I did call the number you provided but they basically told me that I was shopping too much. huh?
they said they could get it for me for 40075+shipping but the price I get is 41357-41856
They told me to go ahead get my current offer....
Old 12-01-11, 12:36 PM
DrZaius7
Driver School Candidate

If it helps, I just purchased a 2012 IS 350 AWD with the same options, including rear spoiler for $43,780 before Tax.
Old 12-01-11, 12:42 PM
DrZaius7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Huh?

No, it's not.

With proper snow tires it'll in fact be a lot safer than an AWD car with the all-season tires most AWD owners run.

Tires matter more than drivetrain for everything except climbing steep hills in snow (or drag racing in snow I suppose).... for things that matter to most folks in bad weather, like emergency manouvering or braking, tires>drivetrain everytime.

There's folks with RWD 350s (and IS-Fs for that matter) that get around fine in a lot worse winters than you get.

Even better, they don't have to eat the mileage and performance hit that AWD gives you year round, including the 8-10 months of the year there's no snow on the ground.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with most of what you have said above. Snow tires are a huge help but RWD is no match for AWD with a good set of all seasons.

Either way, I still put snow tires on my AWD. Difference in MPG between IS with RWD & AWD is negligible.

I live in upstate NY and had a GS 430 back int the day and got rid of it because of the RWD in the winters. I loved the new IS but waited for them to make it in AWD before I purchased.
Old 12-01-11, 12:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZaius7
Sorry, but I totally disagree with most of what you have said above. Snow tires are a huge help but RWD is no match for AWD with a good set of all seasons.
then you are demonstrably wrong.

Several car mags have tested this and agree with me, and disagree with you.

car and driver for example, that found the RWD car with snow tires both outhandled and out-braked the AWD version of the same car with all seasons. (likewise the FWD with snows out handled and out braked the AWD version of the same car on all seasons)

On braking:

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
because with four-wheel anti-lock braking, all four contact patches are working regardless of the driveline setup. Better-biting tires generate more stopping force, and the weight of a 4wd system simply adds to the momentum that has to be stopped. So it comes as no surprise that 4wd tended to lengthen stops from 50 mph (by as much as 12 feet on the Audi and 18 feet on the Benz relative to the stock 2wd setup). Fitting winter tires shaved stopping distances substantially (by 44 to 64 feet in the case of the A6s, and by 22 to 37 feet on the E320s). Winter tires win this one handily.
On handling:

Winter tires won again at the snow circle, providing twice the improvement in lateral grip that 4wd on stock tires could offer...As we found on the skidpad, winter tires again showed roughly double the dynamic handling advantage that four-wheel drive offers.
Did you catch that? winter tires on RWD is about twice the benefit of AWD.

Their comparison concluded as follows:

Four-wheel drive helps get cars going. When it comes time to brake or change direction on low-traction surfaces, the extra mass of the driveline becomes more of a detriment. Folks who live in hilly places that get snow may need the climbing capability of four-wheel drive. If it snows a lot in those hilly places, they should probably invest in winter tires, too. Even flat-landers who happen to have steep driveways may wish to consider a four-wheel-driver.

Almost everyone else will most likely be better served by using winter tires. Acceleration takes longer, but in an emergency, the handling behavior and improved lateral grip of two-wheel drive and winter tires -- in the slippery stuff -- are the safer bets.
(bold added)

Difference in MPG between IS with RWD & AWD is negligible.
No, it's not. 2-3 mpg difference on average for the 2IS for example... that's about 10%... which can amount to hundreds of dollars a year at current fuel prices depending how much you drive.

I live in upstate NY and had a GS 430 back int the day and got rid of it because of the RWD in the winters. I loved the new IS but waited for them to make it in AWD before I purchased.
And there's quite a few IS350 and IS-F owners who drive around just great, in winters as bad or worse than upstate NY, with no issues using the proper tires... including other folks in NY, folks in Chicago, Minnesota, all over Canada, and elsewhere...

I myself lived in Canada for a while, and learned to drive in NY, and never had a problem with RWD on the proper tires.

Because as repeatedly proven in testing, tires matter more than drivetrain.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-01-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 12:57 PM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

If it helps, I just purchased a 2012 IS 350 AWD with the same options, including rear spoiler for $43,780 before Tax.
Thanks for your reply!! That was a really good price!! The quote I got for 2012 are all above 45000
Did you have the parking assist? what extra stuff did they throw in? service? door mat? accessory?
I am going to the dealer this weekend, hopefully I can drive a car back
Old 12-01-11, 01:03 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Either way, I still put snow tires on my AWD. Difference in MPG between IS with RWD & AWD is negligible.

I would need to disagree that MPG is negligible because over time it will as you notice it in the money + refills. Also the car being about 200 lbs heavier compared to the RWD.

About all seasons on AWD, I would not say that is true, because I felt the disadvantages on the IS AWD with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S such that my mom's 99 Camry on winters performed better than it on snow and ice. I am sure if I had dedicated winters on the AWD, it would of been better than the Camry.
Old 12-01-11, 01:03 PM
lilsunflow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
It snows over here too, and there are X50 RWD's that run in the snow just fine. Just need put proper winter tires and no problem.

I used to drive 250 AWD too in the snow too - didn't really find any advantages compared to how I drove to a RWD to justify keeping it besides the instant up to 3 MPG hit for the AWD drivetrain.
I am an inexperienced Asian female driver if it helps
Old 12-01-11, 01:07 PM
DrZaius7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply!! That was a really good price!! The quote I got for 2012 are all above 45000
Did you have the parking assist? what extra stuff did they throw in? service? door mat? accessory?
I am going to the dealer this weekend, hopefully I can drive a car back

The only options I did NOT have was the upgraded Mark Levinson sound and the parking assist. Good luck! Very exciting to get a new car.
Old 12-01-11, 01:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I am an inexperienced Asian female driver if it helps
I'm asian as well - a CBC to be exact (Canadian Born Chinese)

Anyone can drive RWD, it just takes practice in the snow. Best advise, find an empty lot and drive your car around, this way it will help you get with your driving skills in the snow in how to properly control what it can and cannot do in ice/snow.

Last edited by Sango; 12-01-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 01:11 PM
DrZaius7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
then you are demonstrably wrong.

Several car mags have tested this and agree with me, and disagree with you.

car and driver for example, that found the RWD car with snow tires both outhandled and out-braked the AWD version of the same car with all seasons. (likewise the FWD with snows out handled and out braked the AWD version of the same car on all seasons)

On braking:

On handling:

Did you catch that? winter tires on RWD is about twice the benefit of AWD.

Their comparison concluded as follows:

(bold added)

No, it's not. 2-3 mpg difference on average for the 2IS for example... that's about 10%... which can amount to hundreds of dollars a year at current fuel prices depending how much you drive.

And there's quite a few IS350 and IS-F owners who drive around just great, in winters as bad or worse than upstate NY, with no issues using the proper tires... including other folks in NY, folks in Chicago, Minnesota, all over Canada, and elsewhere...

I myself lived in Canada for a while, and learned to drive in NY, and never had a problem with RWD on the proper tires.

Because as repeatedly proven in testing, tires matter more than drivetrain.

Which you are forgetting is that the Car & Driver folks doing these tests are EXPERIENCED drivers...much more experienced than any of us.

So that may be true for them. I've had a RWD car with snow tires get stuck going up a hill without enough speed. An AWD car with good quality all seasons does not have this problem.

You can disagree all you like but every day of the week I would put my wife in an AWD car with GOOD all season tires before I put her in a RWD car with snow tires!
In fact I would have her drive a FWD car with good all season before I had her drive a RWD car with snow tires.
A RWD car is a different animal especially in the cold, snow, slush and ice.

Quick Reply: IS 350 AWD Can someone help me look at the dealer's offers