Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 09:36 AM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Que!? Aye dios mio... que bueno que no te paso nada mal!
Old 11-07-11, 10:05 AM
100degrees
Pole Position

Wow I was also looking into a set of Ichiba spacers. Are there any other brands that seem to have better quality? did you get in contact with Ichiba? I'm eager to see what kind of response they have.
Old 11-07-11, 10:18 AM
birador
Lead Lap

your experience is a wake up call to all members using spacers not only the brand that mentioned but all to check always their tires ,me myself has a spacer also but every single day i check it because it's not worth to be sorry than to have a flush ride-sorry to hear that and thank god that nothing happen to you plus the factor that it happens at a unfamiliar territory of yours
Old 11-07-11, 11:47 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

At this moment I'm not sure if I want to even have the added stress of hassling Ichiba about this issue. I will never uses V2 spaces or any type of spaces again, even if they offer to replace the set free of charge. I'm just glad I didn't really mess up my car or worse be murdered by that homeless guy on the bike.

But I will keep you guys posted if I do bring this to Ichiba's attention.
Old 11-07-11, 12:02 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birador
your experience is a wake up call to all members using spacers not only the brand that mentioned but all to check always their tires ,me myself has a spacer also but every single day i check it because it's not worth to be sorry than to have a flush ride-sorry to hear that and thank god that nothing happen to you plus the factor that it happens at a unfamiliar territory of yours
Sorry about your period key not working on your keyboard. Either that or you're long winded.
Old 11-07-11, 12:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Spacers are just a bad idea.
Old 11-07-11, 12:11 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Wow! That's scary... glad to hear you are ok and nothing happened to your car.

That's some good info your posted... no spacers for me too.
Old 11-07-11, 12:28 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

personally i would stay away from spacers.
NO SPACERS!
Old 11-07-11, 12:52 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

This looks like a stud issue, and I've seen broken studs on stock hubs too. The main issue I have with bolt-on spacers is the extra stress from pulling the aluminum in both directions so close together, resulting in cracking.

This issue is not even a spacer issue, this is a stud issue. Without knowing the quality of the Ichiba studs, it's hard to say for sure, but whenever I've seen this happen, on stock studs or whatever, it was due to over-torquing the studs at one point. (Whether it broke at that time or later).

You may have reasons to hate bolt-on spacers, whether it be the extra stress on the bearings, not being able to easily check the torque of the inner nuts, stresses on the spacer itself causing cracking, etc., however this issue seems to be either an installation problem (over-torquing), or a quality issue (weak studs). Either way, all I'm saying is that there are many valid reasons to hate spacers, but what happened here is a stud issue, that can (and does) happen to even stock studs. Using aftermarket longer studs with non-bolt on spacers, or really anything as far as studs go could result in a similar situation.

Broken studs are no laughing matter, but why they happen is an issue not related to having spacers, just what quality of stud they used, and if they were abused or not. It could happen with or without wheel spacers.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
sede7 (12-13-20)
Old 11-07-11, 12:53 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I don't trust those spacers at all. All of my friends that ran them had them break. They design them so ****ty and cheap.
Old 11-07-11, 01:07 PM
BamaIS
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This looks like a stud issue, and I've seen broken studs on stock hubs too. The main issue I have with bolt-on spacers is the extra stress from pulling the aluminum in both directions so close together, resulting in cracking.

This issue is not even a spacer issue, this is a stud issue. Without knowing the quality of the Ichiba studs, it's hard to say for sure, but whenever I've seen this happen, on stock studs or whatever, it was due to over-torquing the studs at one point. (Whether it broke at that time or later).

You may have reasons to hate bolt-on spacers, whether it be the extra stress on the bearings, not being able to easily check the torque of the inner nuts, stresses on the spacer itself causing cracking, etc., however this issue seems to be either an installation problem (over-torquing), or a quality issue (weak studs). Either way, all I'm saying is that there are many valid reasons to hate spacers, but what happened here is a stud issue, that can (and does) happen to even stock studs. Using aftermarket longer studs with non-bolt on spacers, or really anything as far as studs go could result in a similar situation.

Broken studs are no laughing matter, but why they happen is an issue not related to having spacers, just what quality of stud they used, and if they were abused or not. It could happen with or without wheel spacers.

Jeff
Well said. That's why I asked about the hubcentric rings. Wheel studs aren't under much stress because the hub is holding the weight of the car, if hubcentric rings are used. Don't misunderstand me. Just because I'm running spacers doesn't mean I'm on their side. But I would be careful making statements that claim a manufacturer almost cost me my life unless I presented all the facts. By the way, my spacers are not Ichiba.
Old 11-07-11, 01:12 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

your title was misleading, i thought the spacers saved your life lol.

but yea, glad that you're save. say no to spacers!
Old 11-07-11, 01:32 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

thats nuts, hope my Ver1's hold up ok... glad to see your ok though.
Old 11-07-11, 02:31 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Your spacer doesn't look like its hub centric. You're putting all the weight on the studs instead of the hub. You should look for a spacer that is hub centric to the hub and to the wheels.
Old 11-07-11, 02:47 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The Ichiba V2 is hubcentric, he just doesn't have the center part in the picture. Unless of course he actually didn't put it in, in which case that may actually explain what happened.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers