IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

replace alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 09:49 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the same for the 250 and 350?

I was able to wiggle it out and straight up. If you can remove the bracket altogether, that might make it easier. Good luck.
Old 07-29-14, 01:05 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
the water pump looks pretty intimidating to replace. not sure if that's something i can diy? plus i'm still under the powertrain warranty and if it was the waterpump, i would have the dealer replace it for free. i'm not exactly sure how they diagnosed the alternator, but i did pay them $73 to diagnose it. does anyone know what recourse i have if it turns out that they misdiagnosed it and it's not the alternator?

the squeak is very high pitched, like a chirp. i get it when i first start it up and when i accelerate slowly in 1st gear (i have a manual). i also get the squeak when i'm in a higher gear than i should be (going 20 mph in 4th gear, with rpms under 1,000). i don't get it when idling in neutral, however, if i turn on my ac, i get a continuous chirp every 1.5 seconds or so. it seems as though i get the noise when there is some strain on the engine. i have almost 65,000 miles.
Whether the noise is generating from the alternator or not, you need to let your engine cool down and start your car. Once it starts, unplug the alternator connector to see if the noise still there. If not, then your alternator is making and noise and it's gone. One of the local Lexus tech told me when my alternator was making that kink of noise.

Good luck and report back.
Old 07-29-14, 03:07 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you guys sure it's not the belt tensioner? I had a squeak before and changed the belt tensioner, never had a squeak ever since.
Old 07-30-14, 12:32 AM
Pepelepew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos
Is it the same for the 250 and 350?

I was able to wiggle it out and straight up. If you can remove the bracket altogether, that might make it easier. Good luck.

Its the IS250, the aircon unit is in the way, ive dropped that as well but the pipes are in the way. There is just no place to wiggle it from there
Old 07-30-14, 07:30 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pepelepew
Its the IS250, the aircon unit is in the way, ive dropped that as well but the pipes are in the way. There is just no place to wiggle it from there
I'm not sure what the 250 engine bay looks like. Can you take some detailed pictures of what yours currently looks like?
Old 10-29-14, 09:09 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

I'm thinking mine is squeaky as well--crap my car is an 07 is350 with only 27500 miles on the clock
Old 12-20-14, 03:54 PM
chenderson
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 Lexus IS250 Alternator engine mount bracket

OK. HERE is how you get that bracket bolt off the engine side (engine stud).

So, the bolt holding bracket to engine is 12mm (whereas the bolt holding bracket to alternator is reportedly 10mm). But if you do not have a 12mm socket, then a 1/2" hex socket will work (at least my bolt was loose enough already to come off without stripping). However, the engine stud that the bolt is bolted onto is fairly long, so try not to have too much of a shallow socket (one trick is to TAPE the socket onto the end of the extension, instead of putting it all the way on over the ball-bearing lock, where it is ON JUST ENOUGH to be able to use).

So, I used two 3" extenders -- and trust me, it works better than one 6" extender, because when you sink a 3" extender into the other 3" extender, it actually comes out to be 5.5" total, giving you a half inch extra play room compared to the 6" one-piece extender; and you most definitely will need this extra room since the wratchet will hit driver side wheel-well.

OK, so, from driver side of engine, use a flashlight to get line-of-sight to the bolt and stud behind the alternator. You CAN see it. It IS possible. I will try to get a good pic uploaded. Now, drop your L-shaped wratchet-with-two-3"-extenders-and-12mm-or-1/2"-hex-socket tool down between the engine and car body just over the exhaust manifold, then you will guide your L-shaped tool around the exhaust manifold, with socket leading the way, till you get it angle in, then dock with the bolt! Then turn and loosen, but you most likely won't be able to drive it all the way off as to where the bolt sticks inside the socket. So, when it's loose enough and stops driving, get the 6" extender (yes, the benched player steps in to save the game), and put the socket on it, but instead of using the wratchet just use your hand and manually turn the extender to take off the bolt. NOW, CAUTION: The bolt may still drop, so be careful. In MY case, it didn't seem to want to stick to the socket; so what I did was left it on threaded on just one or two threads at the end of the stud, and then I reached in with my bare hand (and this can be difficult to get all the way to the bolt because you have to crouch down and stick your whole arm down between the engine and body, so it depends on your arm & hand size (and height )). Anyway, if you are able to use your hand, be sure to 3-finger it (with your INDEX, MIDDLE & RING fingers, not thumb). It's such a tight space, you most likely won't be able to use your thumb, so use your middle three fingers, and, LIKE A TRIPOD, unscrew the bolt slowly until it's off, carefully maintaining a clamp on it with your 3 fingers, then extract your arm & hand carefully out. Thing is, if you drop the bolt, it'll be very difficult to find with all the under-pans and A-frame and such, etc. Anyway, glad I got that out of the way.

Good luck!

Last edited by chenderson; 12-20-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:03 PM
chenderson
Driver School Candidate

Default squeak or grind - alternator has a clutch

a tech at northside lexus in houston told me that these alternators have a clutch inside which when going bad can grind or squeak. just an fyi.
Old 01-27-15, 07:58 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Where is the best place to purchase a brand new authentic Lexus alternator?
Old 01-28-15, 10:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2008.html
Old 01-28-15, 03:20 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Had to do the wifey 250 today. Not so bad to do about 1.5 hr to get it out. Only thing suck was the 20 degree weather outside. I just bought rebuild one rather then rebuilding it myself.
Old 01-29-15, 05:15 PM
tklovett63
Driver School Candidate

Our alternator went out couple of months 2....I changed it myself....took LONG time and I am pretty decent shade tree wrench...rough job.
Old 01-29-15, 06:45 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tklovett63
Our alternator went out couple of months 2....I changed it myself....took LONG time and I am pretty decent shade tree wrench...rough job.
Do you have the IS350 or 250? From the video I saw on youtube, it looks pretty simple.

Could anyone give me tips about the belt? Do you just remove the bolt to the pulley and pop it off with the belt? Should I replace the belt since it's off? Anyone know the torque specs, or should I just hand tighten?

Overall, looks like a simple job, 2 bolts for two pulleys, 3 bolts I think for the alternator and the 3 bolts for the coolant? thingy above it to move it out of the way.
Old 01-30-15, 12:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The belt should be the most simple part of the ALT change. NO, you do not remove a bolt or a pulley. You simply attach a socket wrench to the adjustable pulley and turn counterclockwise. The whole pulley will move inwards, allowing room to remove the belt with your hand. Once belt is removed, slowly release tension on the pulley, and remove socket wrench. Inspect the belt for cracking or missing ribs; if in such shape, replace.
Old 01-30-15, 02:55 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
The belt should be the most simple part of the ALT change. NO, you do not remove a bolt or a pulley. You simply attach a socket wrench to the adjustable pulley and turn counterclockwise. The whole pulley will move inwards, allowing room to remove the belt with your hand. Once belt is removed, slowly release tension on the pulley, and remove socket wrench. Inspect the belt for cracking or missing ribs; if in such shape, replace.
Thanks! I've never worked on pulleys before, so I'm unfamiliar with how they work. I've done suspension, bolt ons etc but never messed with anything else on the motor.

Quick Reply: replace alternator?