IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Engine Oil Level Light...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 01:51 PM
redy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problems is the following:
The issues coming in together, after repair my starter. First the red battery warning light came in, and its always lighted, after start the motor. The battery is a 98Ah Excide 6 month old, brand new conditions. The charging is OK 14,3 V. When I switch in all the electric consumers, like seat heating, hi beam, full ventilation, rear windshield heating, DVD, etc. the charging is not less then 13,8 V. It means the alternator, is OK. We found some melted wires underpassenger side under hood multiplex body module. We repaired them, and the battery light is off now. When I start the motor no light, but if the cooling water temperature is go up to the normal level, the motor oil LEVEL light, with the yellow triangle, is come in. The motor oil level is absolutely OK (a little bit more then the max level) when I checked. Before my starter repair I had no any lights or warning. According to the computer, there is no trouble code, that's why I can not clean it. I can"t imagines that this two problems is not related with each other, there must be a common point, but I have no idea. What is your opinion? May be because there was the melted wires, the under hood multiplex body module went wrong? Is there any connection between this module and the motor oil level meter sensor? There was a lot of connector with a lot of pins under the module. Please help me, if you can!
Best regards
Viktor
Old 02-16-17, 12:56 PM
redy
Driver School Candidate

Nobody can answer???
Old 08-26-17, 07:01 PM
shammas990
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if the problem been solved or not , i bought a lexus gs 2007 and the light for low oil level is on , the oil was recently replaced , my mechanic said its oil sensor , i want to change the sensor but anyone have manual or know how to replace it , my dad is mechanical engineer and he usually take care of such stuff on our cars but we usually lookup videos first so anyone have video ?or guide how to do it
Old 08-27-17, 12:45 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

No clue what the sensor values are as we need a Factory Service Manual (FSM), but most on off style switches are either open (low oil) or closed (has enough oil to float the sensor). That said this could be reversed???

The point being you find the sensor and wire, follow it to a plug and using an Ohm meter test it for continuity.

It's basically a switch and the switch should change state if for example you measure the output when full of oil and continue measuring it while draining the oil, a working switch will change state.
0.0 ohms = short.
1000 ohms or more = open.
But they can use any value but the point is there should be change.

Last comment: if the switch only has one wire coming out that implies the return path is the engine block itself. If this is true it would be wise to loosen the bolt(s) holding the sensor as one of them is acting as a path to ground for the sensor to the engine block. A bad connection (loose bolt) could fix the problem.

A schematic would be of huge value right now.
Old 08-27-17, 01:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

In OP's case, knowing the switch works no means you look at the cars wiring. If you knew the values the sensor/switch is supposed to output you could insert a test lead into the open connector and test the dash light.

A fairly safe method is to unplug the sensor. Does the low oil light change state? If No, insert a 12v test lamp between ground and the input. Does the oil light change state?

Just ideas...
Old 02-21-19, 07:37 PM
LexusGC098
10th Gear

Hey. So does anyone have a resolution to OP's problem? I have a similar issue, low engine oil lever light is on, but oil is enough (a little over the dot level). Appreciate any inputs
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (12-07-22)
Old 02-24-19, 05:45 PM
gimpyrobb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusGC098
Hey. So does anyone have a resolution to OP's problem? I have a similar issue, low engine oil lever light is on, but oil is enough (a little over the dot level). Appreciate any inputs
First thing I'd do is swap the oil filter for a new one. If you have the correct oil level, you have a restriction somewhere. If a new filter doesnt do it, its time to see what your oil pressure is with the motor running.
Old 02-25-19, 10:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gimpyrobb
First thing I'd do is swap the oil filter for a new one. If you have the correct oil level, you have a restriction somewhere. If a new filter doesnt do it, its time to see what your oil pressure is with the motor running.
Oil level and oil pressure are two different things.
Test as suggested in my other posts...
firestart9 (11-27-22)
Old 12-06-22, 07:10 AM
Bourgeois
1st Gear

Originally Posted by B16da9
Is the oil light comming on or flickering at all or are you only getting the message on the info screen on the cluster?
I'm just getting the message on the info screen. The oil light didn't (hasn't) turned on.
firestart9 (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 04:07 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the sensor has varnish or sludge on it. Time to test my aftermarket warranty to get it repaired!
Old 12-09-22, 11:58 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by redy
My problems is the following:
The issues coming in together, after repair my starter. First the red battery warning light came in, and its always lighted, after start the motor. The battery is a 98Ah Excide 6 month old, brand new conditions. The charging is OK 14,3 V. When I switch in all the electric consumers, like seat heating, hi beam, full ventilation, rear windshield heating, DVD, etc. the charging is not less then 13,8 V. It means the alternator, is OK. We found some melted wires underpassenger side under hood multiplex body module. We repaired them, and the battery light is off now. When I start the motor no light, but if the cooling water temperature is go up to the normal level, the motor oil LEVEL light, with the yellow triangle, is come in. The motor oil level is absolutely OK (a little bit more then the max level) when I checked. Before my starter repair I had no any lights or warning. According to the computer, there is no trouble code, that's why I can not clean it. I can"t imagines that this two problems is not related with each other, there must be a common point, but I have no idea. What is your opinion? May be because there was the melted wires, the under hood multiplex body module went wrong? Is there any connection between this module and the motor oil level meter sensor? There was a lot of connector with a lot of pins under the module. Please help me, if you can!
Best regards
Viktor
I would say the next course of action is to install a mechanical gauge. Followed by a Liquid Molly engine oil flush/cleaning.
Who knows if it was supposed to be ON and so it did once the cables were replaced/fixed.
Like I posted in another thread, usually, low oil pressure when warm is worn main or rod bearings, a mechanical gauge test is a must.
*Did the Low Oil Light come on when having IGN enabled before fixing the bad cables?