IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What is your traction control setting right now ?
"ON"
87.18%
Fully "OFF"
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Turning the traction control off completely

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 08:15 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is the placebo effect encapsulated perfectly.

How often during normal daily driving in non-snowy, non-downpouring situations does your traction control kick in? If your answer is "Very frequently", I can pretty confidently say you're driving too aggressively and unsafely.

Pushing the car to its limit is for the track. I can't speak for Kuwait, but that's certainly the case in the US.
Actually no I don't drive so aggressively since I'm afraid of 2 things here. 1st the speed fines are pretty heavy , 2nd the rate of accidents in this country is one of the highest in the world. I can see daily 2 accidents happen on average.

It's only occasionally that i drive fast and that too just for overtaking or hear that engine scream while accelerating. It's not much but I can hear it still . The traction control turns itself ON each time you start the car and it's kind of annoying to turn it OFF everytime but I agree its much safer in case you have a tire blowout or something on the road.

I can usually feel the car loosing power on long turns while overtaking other cars, the power just cuts itself off. It's not much but overtaking becomes tricky in such situations.

I take back my words guys. It's unsafe to turn it OFF on normal driving conditions. I have it ON now always ( even my poll proves what the majority is here ), well the car turns itself ON each time so , Lexus wants us to be safe which is a good thing I guess.
Old 10-17-11, 09:55 AM
LEXtegra
Driver

I drive at 100+ mph and have never thought about taking off the traction control or vsc. I only turned it off for extra wheel spin to get some momentum in certain snow situations.
Old 10-18-11, 10:26 AM
BrightonB
Driver

hello guys, sorry for being a noob on this technology stuff but what does the two things you turn off each actually do. traction control keeps you from sliding if im correct? what does the other thing that you turn off do?
Old 10-18-11, 01:57 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightonB
hello guys, sorry for being a noob on this technology stuff but what does the two things you turn off each actually do. traction control keeps you from sliding if im correct? what does the other thing that you turn off do?
Traction control stops wheelspin. It reduces engine power, and brakes the wheel that is spinning.

Stability control attempts to keep you on course. It utilizes a yaw sensor (essentially an electronic gyroscope) to detect when you've lost steering control, and then independently applies the brakes to try to bring you back on course.
Old 10-18-11, 11:02 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

I leave mine on pretty much all the time except when there's hooning to be done. I tend to have it off more often in winter though. I like the added control you get with the 6speed. However, VSC has saved my *** a couple times.

You can probably live your whole life without traction control. It's meant to try to bail you out when you're in too deep. The DRIVER is the number one safety feature of the car. People forget that. Just don't be idiots out there and endanger other people's lives. I 100% encourage donuts but I 100% discourage being wreckless and just plain stupid about it.
Old 10-18-11, 11:30 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I've noticed in both my 2IS and in my 2009 Corolla XRS I had, that when I first got the car, traction and VSC kicked in a lot faster than after I had driven it for a while. I think over time it has a learning process that slowly backs off how quickly it kicks in.

I haven't seen traction or VSC lights come on in my IS250 in a long time now, even when pushing it (what I think is) pretty hard.

I could be wrong, because I don't have much information about the type of learning the ECU does, but it seems to me that it wasn't quite as active after driving the car for a while. I guess we'll see if it's changed at all once it snows here. Though it's all somewhat subjective, I mean I'm trying to remember what happened months/almost a year ago to now. Memory plays strange tricks on your perceptions sometimes.

Jeff
Old 10-19-11, 08:31 PM
badvinny
Driver School Candidate

It is the traction control in my 06 350 that makes tye nicest car I have owned, the worst winter car I have ever owned! My wife fears that one day as she pulls into traffic and hits the slightest slippery spot and the trac control activates that she will be rearended because she could not accelerate up to traffic speed. She has Blizzaks on stock rims and they just plain suck here in our climate.
Old 08-26-13, 09:30 AM
mspatrick
Driver School Candidate

OK! I am having issues with what I THINK is my traction control. I tend to spin out when I turn a corner (back tires swerve opposite direction) and have since buying a set of tires from the dealer (that was a mistake). They are exactly the same tire that I have before. How do I turn my traction control on or off? When I spin out like that, the little swervy light comes on in the panel. Help! Do I need to take this in to have it looked at?
Old 08-26-13, 12:47 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mspatrick
OK! I am having issues with what I THINK is my traction control. I tend to spin out when I turn a corner (back tires swerve opposite direction) and have since buying a set of tires from the dealer (that was a mistake). They are exactly the same tire that I have before. How do I turn my traction control on or off? When I spin out like that, the little swervy light comes on in the panel. Help! Do I need to take this in to have it looked at?
Is this your first RWD car?
Old 08-26-13, 02:02 PM
Davidcv4
Driver

Speaking as a 26yr old male, no wife/kids; I can tell you I bought my 350 not for its safety features, but for its power and sex appeal. Traction control is an unecessary option in my car and should be replaced with a "boost" button for fun. You guys have taken this post waaaaaay too seriously. Although I do strongly believe in safe driving all the time (dont want an idiot smashing into my car), there are times where your adrenaline gland needs to be tickeled a bit haha
Traction OFF for the WIN!!!!
Old 08-26-13, 02:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mspatrick
sounds like you're driving backwards.... No but seriously can you explain a little further what exactly is going on?