IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help WIZARD choose a Sub system in his car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 11:40 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could i strongly recommend against punch? don't start buying a setup and think it is starting to get steep in price, and then look for cheaper alternatives. believe me, you will end up wishing you spent the extra cash in the first place and will end up replacing it
Old 10-12-11, 01:12 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joeker
could i strongly recommend against punch? don't start buying a setup and think it is starting to get steep in price, and then look for cheaper alternatives. believe me, you will end up wishing you spent the extra cash in the first place and will end up replacing it
very sound advise~

(get it? sound )
Old 10-12-11, 02:01 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had RF before and they sounded great! Then again this was back in 2000 but its not a cheap AMP by all means
ranks around the same price as JL. I just found a site that had a great deal on it.

Brand New Rockford Fosgate Punch Series P700-1bd Amazon price $490
Alternative
Brand New XD600/1 - JL Audio 600 Watt Class D Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifi Amazon price $330

I never worry about price I look for the product I want and know that will sound great with my setup then find the best price out there in internet land =0)
(Bargain Shopper) as they call it. Dealership hate me haha

Last edited by WIZARD1325; 10-12-11 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 02:28 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard good things about Digital Designs, Eclipse, Image Dynamics, MB Quart, Arc Audio, Critical Mass. There are so many options with car audio. Of course, there's also all the mainstream options, like JL or Alpine. Take your time and do lots of research. I know I did when I bought my system years ago.

I personally have an Elemental Designs NiNe.1 powering my system. I've had it for about 4 years now, and it still runs strong. Puts out 1200W RMS @ 1ohm with ease.
Old 10-12-11, 03:17 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Ok question should I leave my OEM Subwoofer in place or take it out?
I don't know if I am going with a Ported Box or Sealed
Old 10-12-11, 09:23 AM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I've heard good things about Digital Designs, Eclipse, Image Dynamics, MB Quart, Arc Audio, Critical Mass. There are so many options with car audio. Of course, there's also all the mainstream options, like JL or Alpine. Take your time and do lots of research. I know I did when I bought my system years ago.

I personally have an Elemental Designs NiNe.1 powering my system. I've had it for about 4 years now, and it still runs strong. Puts out 1200W RMS @ 1ohm with ease.
If I remember correctly, eclipse is going out of business. I would also stay away from mb quart as all their entry level and mid level products are china made now. We're not talking about the old mb quarts from the 90's and early 2000's. If you find a set of components from that area do not hesitate to buy. In terms of JL and alpine being mainstream, there's a reason for that. I like to think of it this way: alpine products emphasize SQ but the user-friendliness and output is sub par to say, JL audio. JL has a good balance of SQ and SPL(I'm talking amps and subs here). It all comes down to what you want. If you want to annoy your neighbors, get a 15" kicker L7 and call it a day. If you want nice clean bass, get alpine(although you will lack power output at your price range). There are many other reputable brands which have amazing output and quality, in my opinion JL is one of them and they dont necessarily break the bank. Personally, you wouldn't see any other products in my car besides Audison, Hertz, JL Audio, oldschool MB Quart, or Focal. But like i said, it really comes down to what you want. Choosing a sound system is like dating.. You gotta find out what you like and what you don't like. You'll most likely get rid of what you get and buy something else down the line if you settle for something subpar.
Old 10-12-11, 09:25 AM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by joeker
If I remember correctly, eclipse is going out of business. I would also stay away from mb quart as all their entry level and mid level products are china made now. We're not talking about the old mb quarts from the 90's and early 2000's. If you find a set of components from that area do not hesitate to buy. In terms of JL and alpine being mainstream, there's a reason for that. I like to think of it this way: alpine products emphasize SQ but the user-friendliness and output is sub par to say, JL audio. JL has a good balance of SQ and SPL(I'm talking amps and subs here). It all comes down to what you want. If you want to annoy your neighbors, get a 15" kicker L7 and call it a day. If you want nice clean bass, get alpine(although you will lack power output at your price range). There are many other reputable brands which have amazing output and quality, in my opinion JL is one of them and they dont necessarily break the bank. Personally, you wouldn't see any other products in my car besides Audison, Hertz, JL Audio, oldschool MB Quart, or Focal. But like i said, it really comes down to what you want. Choosing a sound system is like dating.. You gotta find out what you like and what you don't like. You'll most likely get rid of what you get and buy something else down the line if you settle for something subpar.
Edit: ^^that was actually all for wizard.

Also, if you're gonna go with a w6v2, go with a sealed. Ported just sounds hollow even if you follow JL spec
Old 10-12-11, 09:49 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

JL Audio and Hertz is all I used!!!! Great stuff and worth it!
Old 10-12-11, 09:54 AM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by Sffd103
JL Audio and Hertz is all I used!!!! Great stuff and worth it!
Seen your thread and your setup is PROPER. My setup obviously isn't as visually appealing but I think YOU could appreciate it
Old 10-12-11, 12:44 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. MB quarts is owned by maxxsonics now. Supposedly their reference and premium line is still pretty good. I had no idea Eclipse was out. Most of my audio knowledge came from 2007~ so it's a bit dated.

And for ported vs sealed...it's up to you. Every person's taste in sound is different. I personally prefer sealed enclosures. They're not as boomy and loud as ported; imo sounds better. But if you're looking for loudness, ported box all the way. With that being said, whichever box you pick, be sure to get it built to specs.
Old 10-12-11, 01:40 PM
350FSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding the stock sub, I just spliced mine and left it running along with my alpine type-r 12. maybe I should try unhooking the stock to see if it makes any difference? I have the bass on the HU down to 1 notch over center so as not to push the interiors too hard and then let the 12 take care of the low-end. Not sure if it makes a difference on the stock sub between hooked-up, unhooked, and removed.
Old 10-12-11, 09:41 PM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Yeah. MB quarts is owned by maxxsonics now. Supposedly their reference and premium line is still pretty good. I had no idea Eclipse was out. Most of my audio knowledge came from 2007~ so it's a bit dated.

And for ported vs sealed...it's up to you. Every person's taste in sound is different. I personally prefer sealed enclosures. They're not as boomy and loud as ported; imo sounds better. But if you're looking for loudness, ported box all the way. With that being said, whichever box you pick, be sure to get it built to specs.
for the w6 specifically, ported boxes sound hollow. though this is not true about the w7. not only does a ported enclosure sound better for the w7, it also reduces the risk of a blown coil.
Old 10-13-11, 12:09 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a FLUX CAPACITOR so my beats got good TIMING
Old 10-13-11, 12:34 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

I am going to order Sealed box then