IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Observations of a Loaner 250

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 07:37 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Observations of a Loaner 250

Recently when I was in for service, I was given a loaner that was the same year as mine, same options, and the mileage was the same within a couple of hundred miles. The difference was it was black with cream interior instead of SGM with black interior. Some observations while driving it for a couple of days:

1. The light colored leather felt noticably softer than mine, for example on the tops of the seats. Could have been manufacturing variation unrelated to color, but I know in materials science that sometimes there is a lot more to color differences than what meets the eye, with regard to thickness of material and such.
2. Despite the difference to the touch, I was really glad I have black interior and wouldn't have it any other way if I ordered today, because the light colored interior picked up every little black shoe scuff or mark and looked like a cleaning nightmare (well remember this is a loaner with a different driver every couple of days). I remembered what I hated about the light grey interior of my prior vehicle.
3. I was enjoying the black exterior paint, almost wishing my SGM was that color. On one hand, there were all kinds of little visible scratches and swirls on the black paint, but from 10 feet away or beyond it looked really nice. I think it was a "grass is always greener" effect, and to be honest I think if I ordered a new one today it would be SGM again, but the lines of the 2IS body definately looks good in black if you can learn to live with the scratches, and there's something about black exteior and cream interior that is appealing even if a little high maintenance.
4. I missed my XM radio service BADLY.
5. I missed my Huper Optik window tint BADLY (it was about a 100 degree day).
6. It was interesting that the tire wear pattern was pretty much identical to mine -- it shouldn't be surprising given the miles and tire make were the same, but when you consider the wide variety of drivers in a loaner, I would have expected to see some differences, and I could not.
7. I thought I would feel a difference in learned shift points with the tranny, considering the variety of drivers it must have had, but I detected no difference in how it drove.

That's about it, not the most informative post in this group but I thought I would capture the thoughts while they were still in my mind for posterity maybe.
Old 08-30-11, 08:52 PM
raywest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Starfire pearl with ecru interior, and yes it is easy to get it dirty. But after having a black/black for years, switching to a lighter interior really makes a difference. It may get dirty easier, but I get compliments on the color of the interior from everyone that's been inside. I would choose ecru again if I had to!

Thanks for shaing!
Old 08-30-11, 09:06 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

interesting observations
Old 08-30-11, 09:18 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

you could eliminate scratches on a black car with a detail and good washing techniques will prevent them from coming back

I have a SGM GS, and while it hides the scratches a little better than black you can still notice them
Old 08-30-11, 09:26 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I like light color interior. I know it easy to get dirty but driving with window close all the time is not that bad - plus clean up at least once a week.
Old 08-30-11, 09:28 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you got my car as a loaner haha, I have obsidian black with ecru interior and ya it can be pain with the scuff marks inside but I don't get to many, if you own a cream interior you definitely are more aware, and obviously it's not a loaner. I do like that the interior also doesn't get to hot, especially with the obsidian exterior color. On the outside though I definitely hear your on the black being a love/hate type thing. I love the way it looks but damn does it annoy me sometimes how dirty it gets so fast, and not to mention cleaning it once a week isn't exactly fun, but when it's clean I think it looks waaaaay better than the silver one I almost bought. But to each his own, I drove a silver Subaru and loved it just think black is so sexxxy on the 2IS.
Old 08-30-11, 11:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Good report. I too like the light interior. When it's taken care of and clean, it looks very expensive and classy. My last A4 had a very light beige. When you learn to how to get in and out of the car a certain way, it becomes second nature and is quite easy.
As far as the exterior... all paints scratch the same. It's just that you see them more with the dark colors.
Old 08-31-11, 04:28 AM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
7. I thought I would feel a difference in learned shift points with the tranny, considering the variety of drivers it must have had, but I detected no difference in how it drove.
"learned shift points" ?? Can anyone go into detail on this? Very interesting....
Old 08-31-11, 06:29 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Good review.
Obsidian is the bittersweet of paint. Its an extra part time job to keep clean, and keep the paint healthy, but it suuuuure does look good when its done right.
When I was test driving used IS's I hated how dirty the lighter interiors were. I'm thankful for my black interior. I just wish the headliners were dark as well.
Old 08-31-11, 06:45 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rufio808
"learned shift points" ?? Can anyone go into detail on this? Very interesting....
Unplug your battery negative cable. Pump your brakes to make sure all electrical is out of your car. Plug battery back up.
Go for a drive. Thank me later.
Your car will be more responsive until it "learns" your driving habits. Then it will most likely be less responsive.
Old 08-31-11, 06:55 AM
BamaIS
Driver

I wanted black interior when I bought my 250, but since I wanted a manually transmission, I couldn't be too picky so I ended up with was the cashmere interior. First thing I did was purchase some black floor mats. It doesn't look bad since the rest of the interior has plenty of black. My next purchase is going to be black carpet. I don't mind the seats being the lighter color. It was the carpet and mats that would get dirty on mine.
Old 08-31-11, 08:27 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

proves lexus drivers respect their cars and LEXUS holds its value!
Old 08-31-11, 12:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a black int. but its a pain for me to keep clean, i do ceramics~ ceramic dust is WHITE!!! I have a separate set of slippers just for the car