IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

scraping front

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 10:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NO>>>>There isn't. Get a front lip i'd say!! HAHA... You're just gonna have to get used to it. What you can't see won't hurt you and it won't come up and out to where you can see it. This is my 7th lowered car , so I'm a pro but you'll get used to it.
Old 07-31-11, 10:54 PM
mike51O
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
NO>>>>There isn't. Get a front lip i'd say!! HAHA... You're just gonna have to get used to it. What you can't see won't hurt you and it won't come up and out to where you can see it. This is my 7th lowered car , so I'm a pro but you'll get used to it.
hey sffd, people who say they are lowered 2inch in the front and dont scrape, are they lying? LoL i don't see how thats even possible
Old 07-31-11, 10:56 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mike51O
hey sffd, people who say they are lowered 2inch in the front and dont scrape, are they lying? LoL i don't see how thats even possible
depends on what it is. Be careful with the parking lot cement blocks that stop your car. You'll rub on those or can pull bumpers off. Speed bumps, go slow and at a 45 degree angle as well as driveways. Come out to a meet in Nor Cal sometime and you'll see some low cars.
Old 07-31-11, 11:20 PM
kannon
Pole Position

Scraping is just part of the game.
Old 08-01-11, 03:30 AM
rich250x
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sffd103
depends on what it is. Be careful with the parking lot cement blocks that stop your car. You'll rub on those or can pull bumpers off. Speed bumps, go slow and at a 45 degree angle as well as driveways. Come out to a meet in Nor Cal sometime and you'll see some low cars.
happened to me once -_- pulled the side of my lip out
Old 08-01-11, 03:50 AM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i scrape so much that it doesn't even bother me anymore lol
Old 08-01-11, 03:50 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Most people with coilovers don't talk about x" drop because it's hard to reference it to the stock suspension when it's been adjusted many times. Lowering springs can say it drops a car 1" because it is static and are not adjustable. How do you know you are lowered the 1.5 or 1.2 inches, what did you base that off of. Just saying because most people adjust it till to the liking, not worrying about wheher they dropped it 2" or 2.5"..

I agree with what everybody suggests, maybe it your driving style. Can't be going over bump/driveways fast anymore. Going in and out of driveways just became a very greedy business as you will take up the whole driveway to angle..
Old 08-01-11, 04:34 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

i dont think you are scraping the front bumper, i am lower than you by a little but and i dont hear scraping...its one of two things you are hearing

1) you are rubbing your fender liner as everyone has said (dont worry there is no serious damage here on your car except on the liner which is just rubber/plastic

2) you are scraping your middle cat or resonator (should only be scraping when going up driveways, again not a serious issue)

unless you fly into ramps, driveways and speed bumps at 30+ then you shouldnt be scraping much or at all
Old 08-01-11, 04:38 AM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Are you sure its the tires or the front lip itself that you are hearing and not those two plastic guards located underneath the bumper on each side of the that stick down about a inch?
Old 08-01-11, 04:53 AM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
i dont think you are scraping the front bumper, i am lower than you by a little but and i dont hear scraping...its one of two things you are hearing

1) you are rubbing your fender liner as everyone has said (dont worry there is no serious damage here on your car except on the liner which is just rubber/plastic

2) you are scraping your middle cat or resonator (should only be scraping when going up driveways, again not a serious issue)

unless you fly into ramps, driveways and speed bumps at 30+ then you shouldnt be scraping much or at all
You know what i think you are right, It doesnt really sound like scrape because i hear scrape before and you can really feel scrape.. it sounds 10 times worst then what I hear.. mine sounds like a minor scrape but not a major scrape.. don't know if that makes sense.. It just makes this noise that kinda sounds like it.. lol.. but also underneath of my bumper is kinda scratched, mayb it was already there.. who knows.. guess I gotta keep monitoring it to see if thats the actual problem..
Old 08-01-11, 05:03 AM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by aCortIS101
Are you sure its the tires or the front lip itself that you are hearing and not those two plastic guards located underneath the bumper on each side of the that stick down about a inch?
It might even be those two plastic guards!.. those are pretty low to the floor, i have no idea now.. i just saw some scratches under my bumper and i thought that was it, but i never looked under there ever since i had my car so im not sure if those were there or not..
Old 08-01-11, 05:12 AM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mike51O
It might even be those two plastic guards!.. those are pretty low to the floor, i have no idea now.. i just saw some scratches under my bumper and i thought that was it, but i never looked under there ever since i had my car so im not sure if those were there or not..
Go take those two guards off... Drive around for while at the places here you normally scrape and then report back. I betting it's those two pieces.. I use two scrape all over speed bumps... Took them off and no more noise at bumps... But now I have a full kit so I just scape all day.. I let's me know I'm doing something right
Old 08-01-11, 05:14 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scraping/scratching/rubbing is well worth the stares from people you pass up on the HWY
Old 08-01-11, 10:50 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your fender liner.
Old 08-01-11, 10:54 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm that looks stock height

Quick Reply: scraping front