IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS350 HID Headlight Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 11:34 AM
xcharlesy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 IS350 HID Headlight Problem!

Having an issue with my 06 IS350 passenger side headlight hid. I noticed the other night that it was out. Then yesterday I was driving to a location very close by and pulled up behind a truck, I noticed in the reflection it was also out so I turned it off and turn it back on and it came on again. Then when I left my location on the way home I saw a car flash its lights at me, when I arrived home it was out again. But turning them off and turning them back on fixed it.

I don't feel like its a ballast overheating issue because it was not on for a substantial amount of time.

I have heard some people say they just replaced the bulb and it fixed the problem (im hoping this isn't something worse).

Any ideas or similar experiences? I've done a bit of research but I'm still unsure. I also posted this question over at IS, just really looking for some answers.

My car is an 06 IS350 with 59,000 Miles.

Thanks
Old 06-07-11, 11:39 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure mine did the same thing, and it was due to the bulb dying... .haven't had this issue since I put in new bulbs.
Old 06-07-11, 11:40 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

It's hard to tell which one is causing the problem. You'll just need to do trial and error to pinpoint if its the ballast or bulb. I had the exact issue you described (would go out, but would turn right back on via the stalk) not too long ago and it turned out to be my bulb. If you notice the bulb is slightly more purplish than the other when on, that's a sign the bulb is going out.

I'd try flip flopping the driver and passenger side bulbs to see if the issue still happens on the same side or if it follows the bulb.
Old 06-07-11, 11:41 AM
SB350
Instructor

Try switching the passenger side and driver side bulbs and see which side the problem occurs on. If you switch the bulbs and the other side has the problem, then it's the bulb that needs to be replaced. If you are still having the problem on the same side, then it might be the ballast.

Most likely it is the bulb that is the problem. If it is, you should replace both bulbs at the same time.
Old 06-07-11, 11:46 AM
xcharlesy
Driver School Candidate

I just bought the car a few days ago, loving it, but hated finding this out.

I managed to get the dealer to pay the toyota dealer near me to order and replace it, so I'll go in and get the new bulb put in tomorrow.

However the other bulb is great, should I just pay for the other side too? or wait for it?
Old 06-07-11, 11:50 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xcharlesy
I just bought the car a few days ago, loving it, but hated finding this out.

I managed to get the dealer to pay the toyota dealer near me to order and replace it, so I'll go in and get the new bulb put in tomorrow.

However the other bulb is great, should I just pay for the other side too? or wait for it?
I'd just pay for the other side as well since that one may be going out soon also. Plus, HID bulbs slightly change color as they age, so you don't want two different colors in there.
Old 06-07-11, 12:08 PM
xcharlesy
Driver School Candidate

is there a site to order the OEM hid from?
Old 06-07-11, 12:11 PM
Aman13AK
Driver School Candidate

It is the bulb. You can get them pretty cheap aftermarket. I think DDM sells some.
Also try sewells if you want stock replacement bulbs.
Old 06-07-11, 12:34 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xcharlesy
is there a site to order the OEM hid from?
Try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Xenon-...=pd_sbs_auto_1

I ordered a set from this same seller who also sells them on ebay. It's a really good deal because they're basically stock.
Old 06-07-11, 01:19 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer should be replacing both bulbs if that's the case. If they don't, I'd argue it, especially since you just bought the car. If they absolutely refuse or whatever, this would be a decent time to get an aftermarket bulb in case you don't like the OEM temperature much. I wouldn't pay the dealer for bulbs...they're going to charge you up the butt on that!
Old 06-07-11, 01:45 PM
xcharlesy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
Try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Xenon-...=pd_sbs_auto_1

I ordered a set from this same seller who also sells them on ebay. It's a really good deal because they're basically stock.
tell me how these work out, id be interested in knowing
Old 06-07-11, 06:03 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Enjoy!
Old 06-07-11, 06:42 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

those are not OEM replacements... OEM are made by Phillips
however they are at least 3x times the cost of the ones linked.
Old 06-07-11, 09:11 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems pretty typical that the OEM D4S bulbs have a short lifespan. Brother in law's GS with 32k miles had 1 bulb go out last year. Also my buddy's IS350 bulb has been doing that intermittent deal where you have to turn them on and off to light up on the driver side. These bulbs aren't purple either when they give like a typical D2S bulb does after 2000+ hours.
Old 06-07-11, 10:54 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the newer rx installed newer d4s bulbs, it might be phillips redesign d4s bulbs, the bulbs that I got from 2010 RX is tha glass has blue tint and the return wire is blue not like my 07 Is d4s bulbs the glass is clear and the return wire is brown.

Quick Reply: 06 IS350 HID Headlight Problem!