Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed for the build. Do it.
Old 06-02-11, 03:50 AM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted4.6
I had an 07 is250 on lease that i have already returned. loved that car! I currently have an sc300 that i wanted to do an ls1 swap in. I have the complete drivetrain sitting in my garage right now. Thing is i really want to swap this into an is250 and would love to buy one just to swap in the ls1 t56 manual combo. Thoughts and opinions please.
I think i would be a seriously cool sleeper. If you have not figured it out yet, and you will, there are very few gearheads in this forum that could even comprhend what you are talking about doing(not a knock, just a fact). So be prepared for a bunch more of "buy an ISF" or "it's a waste of time" or it's a lot of work, why do it?".

If you decide to do it, post a build thread!
Old 06-02-11, 06:42 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! Sick S2K video!!! Go out and buy a IS250 and put that LS-1 in it!!! I used to have a WS6 back in the day and that thing was roaring! Everyone's always quick to bash, but I think it would be awesome if you did it! Sorry, this doen't really help with your question of, "can it be done", just some good words of encouragement....plus I bet you'd be eveyone's Hero on CL if you did it hahaha

Last edited by 8lastoff; 06-02-11 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-02-11, 07:02 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also all for this, and am hoping the words soon turn into actions. I should preface that I know nothing about engine swaps, but one thing I'd be considering is whether the SC would be a better option than the IS, even if you like the IS a lot.

There are a few reasons for this. One is personal, in that I love the earlier-gen SCs and they're fairly rare (side-note do you have a pic of the SC? has anything been done to it?). I've owned 2 LS400s, both first-gen, and I liked having 4 doors but always preferred the SC - everything was about the same between the two save for the body style. Two is that it sounds like from what I'm reading above that one of the most difficult parts of a wholesale engine and transmission swap (apart from the actual physical labor involved in performing it) is getting everything to play nicely with the remaining stock components. This would be an especial issue with the IS compared to the SC, given the former's much more sophisticated, complex, and extensive electronics and sensor components. From what I've read, you have virtually no chance of getting everything to work correctly in the IS once the swap's done, and might be doomed to a life of warning lights, etc. In this respect, it would seem the SC might be a better option since there's much less to try and make compatible - fewer electronics, sensors, etc. Lastly, if one of your goals is to build a sleeper, I think the SC would be as good or even better an option than the IS, given its rarity and age.

Just some thoughts. Obviously there are myriad other concerns and considerations here as well. Keep us updated.
Old 06-02-11, 07:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
I think i would be a seriously cool sleeper. If you have not figured it out yet, and you will, there are very few gearheads in this forum that could even comprhend what you are talking about doing(not a knock, just a fact). So be prepared for a bunch more of "buy an ISF" or "it's a waste of time" or it's a lot of work, why do it?".

If you decide to do it, post a build thread!
You've obviously never heard what a built GM V8 sounds like if you think this would be a sleeper

My Impala used to set off car alarms. At idle.

This will a lot of work though, assuming he wants the rest of the car to work.

As to the idea of using a 1st gen SC... it's a beautiful car... my wife has one... but it's WAY easier to make a sleeper out of one by swapping a 2JZ-GTE in.
(and doing so to 1st gen GS rather than SC makes even more of a sleeper car, plus lets you seat actual adults in the back).

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-02-11 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 07:59 AM
Miggs
Driver

name it the IS F-KILLER

Hope you do it! with the money you'll spend you will still end up saving compared to buying a new F. Do it!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-11, 10:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Miggs
name it the IS F-KILLER

Hope you do it! with the money you'll spend you will still end up saving compared to buying a new F. Do it!!!!!!!!
He really, really won't... unless his time is not worth anything to him.
Old 06-02-11, 01:12 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Reminds of the fab work done to a 6th gen Civic and dropped a full LS swap and suspension...aka Civette.

With enough money, time, patience...anything can be done. You would have one hell of a "IS" on your hands afterward.

I'm all for it! Do it!
Old 06-05-11, 12:15 AM
boosted4.6
Pole Position

heres a crappy pic of my two cars. Thats my sc300 that i was and still may do the LS1 swap in.
Attached Thumbnails is250 LS1 swap-064fl.jpg  
Old 06-05-11, 02:16 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u should put the ls1 into the 250, make sure to make 2 parts of every fabrication you make. so that way you can replicate the parts in order to make a swap into someone else's IS. some serious cash you can make in the future. let me get 50% off, cuz of my great idea. GL!
Old 06-05-11, 10:24 AM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You've obviously never heard what a built GM V8 sounds like if you think this would be a sleeper

My Impala used to set off car alarms. At idle.
Yeah, whenever I rode around in my low 11 second Mustang I always turned it off when I came to a stoplight next to a 4 door import just to listen to the exhaust, just to make sure it wasn't a sleeper.

Sometimes if it was a long light I would quickly look under their car in case they had a full quiet exhaust so I wouldn't get fooled, lol.
Old 06-05-11, 03:30 PM
boosted4.6
Pole Position

Yeah, whenever I rode around in my low 11 second Mustang I always turned it off when I came to a stoplight next to a 4 door import just to listen to the exhaust, just to make sure it wasn't a sleeper.

Sometimes if it was a long light I would quickly look under their car in case they had a full quiet exhaust so I wouldn't get fooled, lol.
"Look under their car" WTF?????????? lmao, your crazy man!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-11, 05:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If you get a tall enough ladder the point might not fly over your head next time.

Pull up next to a properly built V8 and you won't need to turn your own car off to hear it at a stoplight.
Old 06-05-11, 05:58 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you get a tall enough ladder the point might not fly over your head next time.

Pull up next to a properly built V8 and you won't need to turn your own car off to hear it at a stoplight.
You win. Obviously if you have the higher post count you know more than anyone else. You are not the only guy that has ever owned a really fast car with a seriously built V8(I'm sure in your own mind you don't believe that).

Feel free to keep posting in every thread how great and fast and powerful and awesome and special and superior your Impala is/was.

Back on topic, just to correct myself: I say do the swap it would be pretty cool and would be a great sleeper(except for this one guy that has a powerful V8 and knows all).
Old 06-05-11, 08:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You win. Obviously if you have the higher post count you know more than anyone else. You are not the only guy that has ever owned a really fast car with a seriously built V8(I'm sure in your own mind you don't believe that).
Not at all, I'm sure lots of folks have owned very fast cars with seriously built V8s.

Those folks probably also know that they don't generally sound like anything that'd be called a sleeper though.

Lemme illustrate-

Here's an IS350 at idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjpgL...eature=related

(listen for the idle parts, not when he revs it- though that's not super loud either)

Now here's a cammed LS1 at idle-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EBu4pCvZs

The only people who'd hear that second sound in 2IS and think it's a sleeper probably wanna get their hearing checked.

And that's not even a particularly "built" LS1.

Quick Reply: is250 LS1 swap