IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP

Old 01-21-11, 06:58 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's a TSIB for the humming, Lexus fixes it for free under warranty.
yeah, I'm a 2007 at 58k.

Not free for me right. :-/
Old 01-21-11, 09:55 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a ground loop in my 06 too. I checked it with both power outlets as well as two different car chargers. It sounds terrible unless you are listening to loud music at a loud volume. It's pretty much unusable actually. If someone still wants one, I will pass mine along for the same price since I can't use it.

I switched the audio from the BT module to my phone directly and it sounded much better, without the hum.

I also don't get the free repair under the TSP, which sucks, but what's involved in fixing it? Maybe it's something I could do myself.

EDIT: I just looked up the TSIB and it's a *****. Two replacement parts that I'm sure would cost a small fortune, as well as basically disassembling the whole console box. I don't really get why Lexus needs to cut these off at 50K miles. It's entirely possible for someone not to use this feature of their car for years before discovering that it's defective.

Last edited by ISSteve; 01-21-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 02:40 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

ISSTeve, you just need a ground loop isolator, just bought one on amazon for somewhere around 15 bucks...q
Old 01-22-11, 02:43 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...b7fe49e8d13626
Old 01-22-11, 02:44 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

cheapest I can find, 11.90

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1106338...=263602_309572
Old 01-22-11, 10:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered the bluetooth module from newegg.com for 29.99 free ship
Old 01-22-11, 04:39 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Got one up for grabs at the cheap price if anyone wants one. I've already got too much crap in my console box, I don't have room to add another device like that line isolator.

I have no doubt it would work, but I don't really have a place to put it. Suck it Lexus for not honoring your recalls after 50K.
Old 01-22-11, 10:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSteve
Got one up for grabs at the cheap price if anyone wants one. I've already got too much crap in my console box, I don't have room to add another device like that line isolator.

I have no doubt it would work, but I don't really have a place to put it. Suck it Lexus for not honoring your recalls after 50K.
It's not a recall.

recalls are done regardless of warranty status.

This is a TSIB (basically a "if the customer has this minor, mainly annoyance-type, issue, here's what you to under warranty about it")
Old 01-23-11, 05:46 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks OP! This works great, I was tired of pluggin' in my iPhone every time I get in and out of my car. The sound is great too, no complaints. Thanks again for good info (and cheap solution!).
Old 01-23-11, 07:47 AM
pratik_10
Pole Position

so i can do this same setup on my 08 like you have shown with the aux port and the music gate right just trying to clarify and the sound quality is better than just the aux port alone
Old 01-23-11, 07:56 AM
ISSteve
Rookie

The sound quality is not (it cannot be) better than going directly to the aux port. It is acceptable, but if you are listening to MP3 or compressed audio files anyway it won't matter much. The one I use for my in-home stereo sounds fine, but I wouldn't call it "high end" in terms of sound quality.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's not a recall.

recalls are done regardless of warranty status.

This is a TSIB (basically a "if the customer has this minor, mainly annoyance-type, issue, here's what you to under warranty about it")
Fair enough, but it's hardly a minor annoyance. You'd have to hear one for yourself, it sounds terrible with that ground loop and it also allows the "noise" of the BT radio to leak into the speakers as well. You ever have your cell phone near your computer speakers and hear the chatter going on? It's similar to that. So I concede that it technically might not be a recall, but it certainly is a defect.
Old 01-23-11, 09:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISSteve
The sound quality is not (it cannot be) better than going directly to the aux port. It is acceptable, but if you are listening to MP3 or compressed audio files anyway it won't matter much. The one I use for my in-home stereo sounds fine, but I wouldn't call it "high end" in terms of sound quality.

Fair enough, but it's hardly a minor annoyance. You'd have to hear one for yourself, it sounds terrible with that ground loop and it also allows the "noise" of the BT radio to leak into the speakers as well. You ever have your cell phone near your computer speakers and hear the chatter going on? It's similar to that. So I concede that it technically might not be a recall, but it certainly is a defect.

I agree it's a defect, but that's what warranty covers.

Recalls are generally safety issues.

Nobody is gonna sue Lexus because their stereo sounds bad. They certainly would sue if, say, their brakes failed.

Hence they fix the second one even outside of warranty, but not the first.
Old 01-24-11, 03:52 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if my Lexus does not have a factory OEM 3.5mm stereo jack auxiliary port? SOL? Any suggestion?
Old 01-24-11, 05:05 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

h0w d0 u do the video through the nav?
Old 01-24-11, 09:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by memasterac
What if my Lexus does not have a factory OEM 3.5mm stereo jack auxiliary port? SOL? Any suggestion?
Then I suggest you find the correct forum for your Lexus, since all 2ISes have one...Your sig says GS, I'm sure those guys have vehicle-relevant ipod solutions by now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP