IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird Running Water Sound from Egine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 06:01 AM
PipLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just to update my situation. Since posting I havent heard the noise at all. Strange!

It could be down to the rather hot spell we have had here where I have been using the Air Con on low but this could be misleading!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

phil
Old 01-05-12, 05:25 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I heard this for the first time today. Can anyone confirm what the cause of this was?
Old 01-05-12, 05:44 AM
PipLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meangene
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I heard this for the first time today. Can anyone confirm what the cause of this was?
Hi,

I can’t give you a definitive answer to the problem but from my experience of this issue I agree with quick123's comment and other posters which is that its related to the coolant.

I had my coolant completely replaced after it got down to such a low level the engine heat spiked up really high ( The garage told me that the stopper for coolant changes had not been put in correctly after a service and slowly it had drained away. Very annoying! ) since the change I have never heard the noise again.

I would recommend checking your coolant level and make sure that its at a good level and is pumping round correctly. It could be that there is trapped air that ultimately makes that noise.

Really hope that helps.

Phil
Old 01-05-12, 05:56 AM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember hearing this noise a few times in the past and never really thought much of it. Then one day I took it in for service and they said they had to replace the water pump under warranty so no problem for me
The sound went away so guess that was it. But for others its probably that air trapped in the lines.
Old 01-05-12, 10:23 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Thanks I'm thinking its just air trapped somewhere. I just got my car back and they did the carbon build "overhaul" so I'm thinking air got trapped when they replaced some of the coolant
Old 01-05-12, 11:05 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this sound too lol...

Glad this thread got bumped!
Old 01-05-12, 11:50 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be a loud waterfall to hear it over exhaust
Old 01-05-12, 12:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^for me its at startup ... usually on a cold start.
Old 01-05-12, 12:18 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^for me its at startup ... usually on a cold start.
I hear mine at startup, turns and in stop & go traffic.... I'm going to have to check it out this weekend.
Old 02-27-12, 06:14 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just found the sound in my car as well..... Im pretty sure that Lexus harnessed the power of a waterfall, jammed it in behind the dash... at least that is how mine sounds.

...OR XZIBIT put a goldfish tank in there to pimp my ride..... either way no bueno.
Old 02-27-12, 06:53 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine had that, its a leaking water pump, mine was fixed under warranty
Old 02-27-12, 07:43 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

What warrenty? my car is at 49,2XX miles and its a 2007 so probably out of warrenty/// Any idea on prices?
Old 02-27-12, 07:49 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Basic WarrantyPowertrain WarrantyCorrosion Perforation WarrantyWarranty Comparison

Basic WarrantyThe Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:

Fire, accidents or theft.Abuse or negligence.Misuse—for example, racing or overloading.Improper repairs.Alteration or tampering.Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Warranty and Services Guide.Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions.Water contamination.Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.Vehicles that have had their odometer tampered with so that actual vehicle mileage cannot be determined.Any vehicle for which the original factory-assigned vehicle identification number can’t be determined.Any vehicle that has been issued a “salvage” title or similar title under any state’s law. This also includes cars that have been declared a “total loss” or equivalent by a financial institution or insurer, such as by payment for a claim in lieu of repairs because the cost of repairs exceeded the cash value of the vehicle. This exclusion does not apply to the emission control warranties with later usage.Incidental or consequential damage associated with vehicle failure. Such damages include but are not limited to inconvenience; the cost of transportation, telephone calls and lodging; the loss of personal or commercial property; and the loss of pay or revenue.Normal maintenance services such as engine tune-ups; replacement of fluids and filters; lubrication; cleaning and polishing; replacement of spark plugs and fuses; and replacement of worn wiper blades, brake pads/linings and clutch linings.Tires, which are covered by a separate warranty provided by the tire manufacturer.The Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) Program is a one-time, complimentary offer for new vehicles for the first 12 months from the date the vehicle is sold. HS, LS, ES and RX models with Navigation System allow the driver to change settings. Please see your Lexus dealer for more information.

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets

See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Powertrain Warranty.
Old 02-27-12, 07:50 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

that above is from the lexus site so your water pump if its leaking will be covered uner the powertrain warranty. Go to your dealer and let them know the noise that you hear and that you suspect its a leaking water pump....its a common issue with the 2IS. Good luck!
Old 02-27-12, 02:57 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

ROBERTRIOS Thanks so much,
Just left the dealer and they confirmed that it is a bad water pump, they gave me a loaner (CT200H - Very Different then any Lexus I have drove before) and It should be ready tomorrow... If it was not for Club Lexus I would have ignored the sound until there was a problem. And probably ran out of warranty..
For those with this sound.... the dealer told me that even the sound alone indicates that there is air in a closed system which indicates a problem. IF YOU HEAR THIS SOUND DRIVE TO LEXUS AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT!!!

Thank You Club Lexus Forum Members - Keep posting your problems and fixes it helps people like me out MORE THEN YOU COULD KNOW!!!!

Quick Reply: Weird Running Water Sound from Egine Bay