IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird Running Water Sound from Egine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 09:42 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Running Water Sound from Egine Bay

Hey guys, so I searched around and found similar problems related to the Water Pump... the cars in question had 80k+ miles and the sound was a little different. My car's an '08 IS250 AWD w/ 47k miles.

ANYWAYS, my problem is that when I'm sitting in idle and I rev the car in park, right after the revs come down there's this weird sound coming from the engine bay of water splashing/running down something. It's pretty loud too. I checked around and don't see any leaks... the car doesn't overheat on long trips either, so I don't think it's the water pump.

Maybe it's a normal sound? I don't know I just picked up this car about a month ago and definitely have never seen that before.

Do you guys have any idea what it is/could be? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-06-10, 12:38 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i hear the sound you describe at start up. don't 100% sure cause my engine is super loud right now because i haven't done the valve spring recall yet. but i'm pretty sure i hear some sort of liquid running.
Old 12-06-10, 02:42 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As of recently I've been hearing the same sounds, it almost sounds like water going through tubes behind the dash. You can tell it's coming from the firewall area, anywho any insight on this anyone?

From what I can make out it could be unflushed condensation, or a broken seal, quite possibly even a radiator cap issue.
Old 12-06-10, 03:28 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XhyDra
As of recently I've been hearing the same sounds, it almost sounds like water going through tubes behind the dash. You can tell it's coming from the firewall area, anywho any insight on this anyone?
Yes. That's exactly what it sounds like. Anyone know what that is? I'll be taking the car to the dealer soon for several issues... so maybe we'll find out if no one knows.
Old 12-06-10, 03:31 PM
albis350
Driver

I got this same watery sound only on start up specially when cold....would like where is coming from...I took my car and got all the recalls done but did not mention anything about this...
Old 12-12-10, 12:52 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Alright, so I took the car to the dealer and dropped it off yesterday. They guy told me it's somewhat common if you get some air in your heating/cooling system and it just needs to be bled. I'll let you guys know if the sound goes away.
Old 12-13-10, 07:19 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Well, if anyone's still following this thread (feels like I'm talking to myself lol), the dealer said that the problem was with a water pump. They will be replacing it under warranty. Don't know if it helps any of you... should probably take care of that.
Old 12-16-10, 05:05 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acingteam
Well, if anyone's still following this thread (feels like I'm talking to myself lol), the dealer said that the problem was with a water pump. They will be replacing it under warranty. Don't know if it helps any of you... should probably take care of that.
thats's good to know, i'll be going in for my valve spring recall next week, gonna ask them to check mine out. thansk for the info.
Old 02-05-11, 12:30 PM
DJ XO
Pole Position

Having this same issue currently. My water pump us new though
Old 02-05-11, 12:50 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The noise you all are hearing is when air is trapped in your coolant system...the air takes up space in the lines, and then once passing, the coolant rushes after sounding like a waterfall kind of noise...you can bleed out the air by adding coolant to the actual radiator cap (not the overflow bottle) while the car is running, you will see the air bubbles actually burp out...

Understand that air is not supposed to just enter your sealed and pressurized coolant system, so usually if you have this noise, there is some type of coolant leak somewhere...
Old 02-05-11, 02:50 PM
DJ XO
Pole Position

I tried the above fix a few weeks ago to no avail ? As soon as I attempted to add coolant, it immediately started to run over.
Air may have gotten in the system upon the install of my water pump ?
Old 02-05-11, 03:15 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's possible...did you let the car run for at least 5 minutes? You have to give the system time to bleed all the air out, sometimes it may even take longer than 5 minutes...
Old 02-05-11, 10:32 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

uh oh, I have the same issue. Thanks for the heads up
Old 02-07-11, 09:02 AM
DJ XO
Pole Position

I let it run for around 5 minutes, and I also tried turning the heater off and on thinking it may have something to do with a faulty heater core? Also, it seems to be getting louder and more consistant (running / dripping water sound) as time goes on.
Old 02-09-11, 07:36 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

I thought I was going crazy when I would hear a running water sound sometimes while driving! Thanks for the heads up.. my heater only blows out warm air at 40+mph... as soon as I slow down, it blows out cold air again... could this be related???

Can someone explain what I need to do to burp out the air? Let the car run for 5+ mins with the radiator cap off? Do I use the toyota coolant they recommend to fill it as I'm burping it?

Quick Reply: Weird Running Water Sound from Egine Bay