LEXX135
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like it. I would like to see other angles though
Old 11-27-10, 10:54 PM
sop
Rookie

since this is still a concept, there are still a lot of unknowns of what will the exact car will look like. even if it looks the way it is rendered, it may take some time to get used to and may like it after time. there are a few cars in the market right now that looks hideous at first. over time seeing it over and over again, it may be looking decent in your eyes. Lexus are showing that they have the potential and will make a better car the its predecessors. 1IS to the 2IS is a great accomplishment. i like both generations but its great to see the continuous improvement from toyota.
Old 11-27-10, 11:34 PM
ltzSupra
Driver

Its going to be hard to top the shape of the 2IS, but DAMN thats ugly.
Old 11-28-10, 12:53 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.
Old 11-28-10, 01:19 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah fortunately it probably won't look anything like that when it comes out.

That artist's rendering just looks terrible, though. They've destroyed literally every aspect of the 2IS that makes it look aggressive.

The 2IS has extremely important subtle cues on the front end that give it an aggressive look. The rear even moreso - the specific shape/design of the taillights, the subtle but noticeable "wide-body" look, the "menacing" angular look of the tail lights when viewed at night. These are extremely important cues to maintain for the 2IS. They are non-negotiables. They make the 2IS what it is.

This rendering is supposedly based on the FT-86 but the artist destroyed everything aggressive about it. Look at this FT-86 concept -

There are numerous aspects of that concept that would constitute perfect upgrades to a 3IS design, particularly on the front end. The front lights are a bit more angled, a bit sleeker. The hood is "textured" a bit more to give it a more aggressive look. These are good ideas to transfer to a 3IS (it doesn't have to look exactly like that FT-86 concept, but those "features" would be good things to focus on).

That artist rendering though? It's terrible. It looks like a Panamera/Toyota Prius hybrid. Absolutely nothing about that car comes off as aggressive or sporty.

It looks nothing like the FT-86 concept pictured above. It looks nothing like a 1IS or 2IS. And more importantly, I don't see any key "Lexus" design cues at all. It doesn't look like a Lexus.

The 1IS and 2IS look far sportier/menacing than this artist rendering.
Old 11-28-10, 07:14 AM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

just terrible
Old 11-28-10, 07:25 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

that couldn't be the IS since it is wearing the toyota badge. If I am correct, the IS250/350 is sold under the Lexus brand in Japan as well as the US. Anyways this prob the next gen Camry. I would be whiling to bet money that this is not in fact the next IS.
Old 11-28-10, 08:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turrible turrible turrible
Old 11-28-10, 09:02 AM
matador250
Rookie

don't really know what to say.
Old 11-28-10, 01:13 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
"Render" is used as a noun in this sentence, but "render" (as you meant it at least) is not a noun. I assume you meant "rendering." Also, "ain't" is not a word, nor is "prolly." FAIL!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

ICE350 = owned. Is owned good grammar? Or should I say pwned?
Old 11-28-10, 05:39 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Default Sleek and flowing versus agressive and choppy

Originally Posted by syzygy
Yeah fortunately it probably won't look anything like that when it comes out.

That artist's rendering just looks terrible, though. They've destroyed literally every aspect of the 2IS that makes it look aggressive.

The 2IS has extremely important subtle cues on the front end that give it an aggressive look. The rear even moreso - the specific shape/design of the taillights, the subtle but noticeable "wide-body" look, the "menacing" angular look of the tail lights when viewed at night. These are extremely important cues to maintain for the 2IS. They are non-negotiables. They make the 2IS what it is.

This rendering is supposedly based on the FT-86 but the artist destroyed everything aggressive about it. Look at this FT-86 concept -

There are numerous aspects of that concept that would constitute perfect upgrades to a 3IS design, particularly on the front end. The front lights are a bit more angled, a bit sleeker. The hood is "textured" a bit more to give it a more aggressive look. These are good ideas to transfer to a 3IS (it doesn't have to look exactly like that FT-86 concept, but those "features" would be good things to focus on).

That artist rendering though? It's terrible. It looks like a Panamera/Toyota Prius hybrid. Absolutely nothing about that car comes off as aggressive or sporty.

It looks nothing like the FT-86 concept pictured above. It looks nothing like a 1IS or 2IS. And more importantly, I don't see any key "Lexus" design cues at all. It doesn't look like a Lexus.

The 1IS and 2IS look far sportier/menacing than this artist rendering.
A recent Car & Driver issue rated Toyota/Lexus design as D+, and further opined that may be there should be a recall for "ugly". As a long time Toyota and IS350 owner I agree with this assessment. For those who want agressive looks, the current design direction might satisfy. For others who may prefer sleek and flowing, such as Aston Martin that still looks muscular, the rendering is a step in the right direction.

I agree that any Panamerica cues should be banished as well as the overwrought Mazda3 type intakes on each side of the grill opening. That opening is a good start but needs refinement and a bit of tasteful chrome trim
and infill. My 2 cents.
Old 11-28-10, 05:49 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i really could care less about the 3IS, i'm keeping my 2IS until it dies...
Old 11-28-10, 06:17 PM
shiny250
Advanced

that. was. hideous. lol. but im in the same boat as llamaboiz ^^^ the 2IS has a great sporty look already
Old 11-29-10, 10:40 AM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

looks like a hyundai genesis, thumbs DOWN

Quick Reply: Next Gen. Lexus IS