TRD350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol.........^
Old 11-20-10, 11:18 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive owned both, def the IS350 hands down, way way more fun to drive and good lookinnnnn...
Old 11-20-10, 11:36 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS and corolla look nothing a like.
Old 11-20-10, 11:50 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default IS vs. TL

The newer body of the TL is horrible!! I'd go straight for a IS 350, unless you're going to have a lot of people in the back seat! I came from having all Hondas and Acura's, but love my Lexus! Good luck!
Old 11-20-10, 11:58 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

hey chinese2go. I was in the same situation as u about a year go. I was all set to purchase a 08-09 TL-S, but my GF made me test drive an IS350 right before purchasing the TL-S.

The IS350 just blew me away when I had test drove it. The IS350 is a RWD car n it makes it a fun driving car compared to driving the TL-S. I think the interior of the inside of the IS350 is much nicer than the TL. The layout of the interior is laid out nicely, leather is softer. I ended up buying the IS350 and am glad I did. Test drove the TL-S n it felt like driving my old accord. I wanted something new and fun to drive and the IS350 satisfied that and more.

In terms of exterior looks, that all varies from one person to another. I think the TL-S and IS350 are great looking cars. I would have been happy with either car if I made my decision based on exterior looks. Its the other small things the IS350 had over the TL-S that persuaded me to go with the IS350.

On thing the TL-S has over the IS350 is the space in the backseat. The TL has a larger space in the backseat, but hey your always going to be the driver and not be in the backseat, unless you plan on having people in your backseats at all times then that might be a problem.

Good luck on your car buying quest.

Make sure to get the IS3550, not IS250 =)
Old 11-20-10, 04:26 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same situation earlier this year. Coming from an M3, I wanted to go with a more reliable Japanese car, a 4dr sedan, automatic (family driveability) etc. It only came down to two options, IS350 and TL-S. To tell you the truth, I was leaning more towards the TL-S but FWD just ain't gonna do it for me so I went with the IS. Love my IS from the day I bought it and very happy with my decision.
Old 11-20-10, 06:07 PM
DSheeezy
Rookie

my sister has a tl and i have an is350. the only advantage the tl has over the is350 is the roomier back seat. other than that, the is350 wins
Old 11-20-10, 06:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

There is no denying the IS350 is more refined/quicker/etc.

But the TL-S is a gorgeous looking car. Stock for stock, the TL-S wins it for me; but I'm only speaking about the looks of the car.

Go to an Acura forum if you haven't so. I'm sure there are plenty owners who cross shopped both cars
Old 11-20-10, 06:19 PM
LexFather

OP, I have experience with both and I'll try to be unbiased here. I think the 08 or so TL looks great inside and out. I think its pretty well built. Quite frankly outside the Legend I think its the best sedan they have ever made. Great combo or space, speed and handling for FWD. It is a great jack of all trades, IMO their version of the Lexus ES but more tuned for sport. Both cars are based off a lesser car (Accord/Camry) both are big for their class, both are FWD.

The IS is based off the RWD GS, is built in Japan and is simply the superior sports sedan. The IS offers LED lights (something TL owners add and mod), real wood trim (TL is fake), a ML system, adaptive HIDs (TL does not move). It begins with the little things. The IS is clearly faster, handles better and is more reliable. The aftermarket support for the IS is far more vast as well. The IS has a 6 speed vs a 5 speed auto, it gets better MPG even though it has more power. The IS is a proper RWD car for that staggered or stanced look while TL owners add lame FWD staggered wheels for the wannabe look. The IS has factory support through F-sport, the TL has none through Acura. The IS is raced in JGTC in Japan, the TL is not. The IS offers heated and cooled seats, the TL has no cooled seats. I will say the TL ELS system is pretty damn good, on par with ML to me.

The negatives? It is a smaller car but it is battling the 3 series head on while the TL is a "Tweener". Lexus service is more expensive. You will pay more for gas since you will floor it all the time

I think they are both great cars but its clear which one is built by a true luxury brand and one who is Honda plus at best.

Originally Posted by syzygy
Yep. "Straight from the horse's mouth," as Mike would say -

“Among the technologies we have at Honda, we must apply those that symbolize our advanced performance technology and environmental technology,” Ito said. “We call this ‘smart.’ We agreed that smart premium is what we should be targeting with Acura, not the upper-segment vehicles such as Lexus or Mercedes-Benz.

It threw a number of acura forums into somewhat of a frenzy when it came out. I was actually surprised that the CEO was so forthcoming with his message. You'd think he would say something along the lines of "We don't need V8s or RWDs or $100,000 flagship sedans or halo supercars or wealthy target markets, or etc. etc. to compete with Benz, Lexus, or BMW!"

Nope. He straight up admitted that Acura doesn't compete with Lexus and won't even be trying anymore. It's sort of a shame, really. Good competition helps to elevate the entire segment.
Old 11-20-10, 08:46 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

had the same hard choice
i was about to get a TL type S or the IS
got the IS instead
didnt realli like the front wheel drive feeling..
it RWD or AWD for my cup of tea
Old 11-20-10, 09:20 PM
mwl7698
Driver

I just traded in my 08 TL for an 11 IS250 Fsport. I enjoyed my TL for just under 2 years, but I love my IS. The IS is more sporty and fun to drive. The TL is a nice road car which was great for my 40 mile commute. While the TL is a larger vehicle, the loss of space in the IS is more than made up for in its handling.
Old 11-21-10, 05:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1

It handles like a dream.
Old 11-21-10, 06:19 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

More balanced perspective: The TL is probably one of the best value cars for the money in the year range you selected. Having driven one (07 TL) extensively I can tell you that they are relatively sporty, but are not as capable and balanced as the IS. I would agree with the above posters who said if it is between a IS250 and a TL get the TL. The TL has a tremendous amount of interior room, both front and back, and the engines can actually be modified, which as you will find is not possible on ours to any great extent.

While Lexus is heads and shoulders ahead of Acura in many areas, I think value for money may be swayed towards Acura. In terms of Navigation I thought the Acura system was a little easier to work with initially and you have the possibility of getting traffic and some other features that really are not available on the ISX50.

Personally, I would strongly discourage you from getting the TL-S as some others have recommended. The gains in my opinion are not worth the losses you will have in terms of cost and smooth performance. In addition, the torque steer is pretty bad when the engine hits its power band and in inclement weather that is the last thing you want.

Since you have likely driven both by now, I will remind you that the quality/durability of plastics and leathers in the Lexus are much better than the Acura and I think you will find this is carried throughout the car. The Lexus ISX50 is very reliable, the company goes above and beyond for most issues/recalls, and the depreciation is much better with Lexus than Acura.

Honestly both cars are fine choices, it is just of matter of preference. The Lexus seems to have a higher a build quality, better performance in all segments than competitors, and is rear-wheel drive with a very capable snow mode should you be in an area that requires (All the reasons I chose the IS350). The TL is great for budget minded individuals as it comes very nicely featured even in the base model, but if money is not an issue you will be hard pressed to find anything better than an IS350 in this market segment.

Hope this helps and enjoy your 'new' car...

Last edited by cholmes1; 11-21-10 at 07:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-21-10, 11:39 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MashinA
can a TL do this?! NAWWWT!
Actually they can, if they whip out the cash.
Old 11-21-10, 04:53 PM
IS250chino
Driver

I have both a 2008 IS250 and a TL. TL has more power but i rather drive the IS250. I don't like the front wheel drive.

Quick Reply: TL or IS