D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tl over the IS250 or IS350 over TL
Old 11-19-10, 10:54 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TL = FWD. I usually stay away from FF car.
Old 11-19-10, 10:58 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Drove both cars on the same day actually, when I was in the market for a new DD.

The TL is VERY HEAVY and not nearly as nimble as my IS250. It is a bigger car, but I do not prefer bigger cars.

The TL was actually my first choice until I drove one.

Drive both, my friend.

(I bought the IS250 over that TL)
Old 11-19-10, 11:02 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by norapat01
TL = FWD. I usually stay away from FF car.
Agreed, especially for a luxury sport sedan
Old 11-19-10, 11:11 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by syzygy
Typical honda. Heavy and too much understeer thanks to FWD.

The only true advantage of the TL-S is the fact that it comes with manual transmission (if desired).

Truth be told, Acura isn't in the same class as Mercedes Benz, Lexus, BMW, or Infiniti. They're forging the way through a newfound "tier 2" luxury class which they term "smart premium," and they've openly admitted that they aren't even trying to compete with the upper level luxury brands like Mercedes Benz and Lexus -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-mercedes.html

The Acura TL is slower in a straight line, not as prestigious, and not as luxurious as the IS350.

The manual transmission of the 2nd generation TLs have had some issues with respect to shifting to and from 3rd gear, so it's not as bullet proof as the "Acura/Honda" moniker might initially suggest.

Subjectively, I think the 2nd generation TL looks terrific, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course - this is for the buyer to decide.
Your completely right about what Acura is doing. Not to mention that the TL-S is not worth the money IMO.

Now Ive never sat in a new TL, but I can tell you that the TSX is a basically an Acura badged Accord. I find this kind of irritating because you dont see the ES as a Lexus badged Camry. Or even the IS as a Lexus badged Corolla.
Old 11-19-10, 11:28 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven TL SH-AWD and I also own a RDX aside from my 250 AWD. You can't really compare a TL to an IS as they are different level...TL is more like ES. But anyways, the TL has no sporty feel at all, pure sedan, and the new one is ugly as hell in my opinion (optimus prime with plastic surgery gone wrong). It's big, bulky, heavy and feels underpowered (yes, even compared to the IS250). Aside from that, the TL has a lot more interior room so if you're tall or if you drive people a lot maybe that would be a better choice. I'm 6' and I often get 4 people in my IS (including me), and it's been okay as long as the person sitting behind me is not tall.

Oh and also, TL is known to have bad traction.
Old 11-19-10, 11:36 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ill take any lexus over tl ,but thats just me
Old 11-19-10, 11:51 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

can a TL do this?! NAWWWT!
Old 11-20-10, 12:03 AM
getfunky
Driver

Kind of a hard question to answer... you posted your question on a Lexus forum so expect bias answers. With the TL you're gonna get more space and an aggressive looking body style. With the IS350, you're gonna get a faster, sportier but smaller cabin. Try test driving both to see what you like best.
Old 11-20-10, 12:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Your completely right about what Acura is doing. Not to mention that the TL-S is not worth the money IMO.

Now Ive never sat in a new TL, but I can tell you that the TSX is a basically an Acura badged Accord. I find this kind of irritating because you dont see the ES as a Lexus badged Camry. Or even the IS as a Lexus badged Corolla.

while the es and the camry share a platform and many parts, the IS along with the GS do not share the corolla platform, or corolla parts for that matter. the is and gs are built using the platform used well, for the is and gs, in addition to two luxury toyota sedans sold in japan -- the toyota crown and the toyota mark x.
Old 11-20-10, 09:05 AM
chinese2go
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody for the feedback. There is one thing I wanna say... I see a lot of people switch from Acura to Lexus... but rarely... Lexus to Acura. I will be test driving both cars next week.
Old 11-20-10, 09:19 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3G TL is a very solid car and is a very good value for the price. Compared to the ISx50, it's a much bigger car, has a great stock audio system, the navigation/bluetooth is better than the Gen4 Lexus units, very nice seats, and should prove very reliable.

The negatives would be FWD, leather is not nearly as good as the IS, and they tend to have rattle problems - much more than the 2IS.

FWIW: We traded our TL-S in on a GS, I just didn't like the FWD

Both cars are very good, go take them for a test drive and see which one you like, good luck.
Old 11-20-10, 09:37 AM
Stun350
Rookie

I was considering an 08 TL-S before I ended up with my 350. I test drove the TL first and then headed straight to the lexus dealership and drove a 250 actually and that did it for me. Prefer the much smoother handling of the Lexus. I've been tracking the value of both cars the last couple of years and the Acura has lost a lot more of its value compared to the Lexus.
Old 11-20-10, 10:21 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

im a previous owner of a 2008 tl non-navi, i do miss the car but i love my lexus more, the acura tl type-s is a sweet car and comes with all the bells & whistles, and its faster the the is250. good luck. hit me up if yu have any questions.
Old 11-20-10, 10:44 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djcoronel
while the es and the camry share a platform and many parts, the IS along with the GS do not share the corolla platform, or corolla parts for that matter. the is and gs are built using the platform used well, for the is and gs, in addition to two luxury toyota sedans sold in japan -- the toyota crown and the toyota mark x.

Really? Hmm I though that I read somewhere on the forum that the IS has a similar chassis to the corolla.....guess not. My bad

Quick Reply: TL or IS