IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car wont stay in Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 01:50 PM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont stay in Alignment

I just bought my first Is250 AWD in August (06,50k miles) and I immediately put a new set of Kuhmo tires on the vehicle and had a 4 wheel alignment done to be safe. After 2,000 miles into the new set of tires and all 4 were feathering on the outer edge so I brought it back. The tech showed me the sheet and all wheels were out. He told me to bring it back a thousand miles later and sure enough, they were all out again. The bushings/suspension were all in tact so what could cause this?
Old 10-01-10, 02:51 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you pay attention to the roads when you drive? you must avoid potholes even if you're on stockers... everyone says they try not to hit potholes but trying is not the same as doing... try following someone with rims one day and see how they weave on the road, stock or modded its a good habit to get into

not saying this is the cause but its a contributing factor for everyone
Old 10-01-10, 03:52 PM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

I couldn't help but laugh when I read your reply because I already suffer from pothole OCD after owning a touchy BMW w/ 19" rims and its so bad that I put my hazards on and slow to a near stop over tracks. I haven't hit any potholes, curbs or large bumps whatsoever, and if I ever do, I get the alignment checked immediately - makes for a costly mental condition

On a serious note.. does anyone have any idea what else can cause this?
Old 10-01-10, 08:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who's the tech? Does he know what he is doing?
Old 10-02-10, 09:29 AM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

the tech has been doing alignments since i was in diapers and he owns a respected goodyear shop
Old 10-02-10, 09:31 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our car gets out of alignment so easily, changing lanes on the highway while running over those patched cracks between the lanes knocks the car out of alignment lol.
Old 10-03-10, 06:42 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aviator409
the tech has been doing alignments since i was in diapers and he owns a respected goodyear shop
Good. That might remove the tech from the problem equation.
Maybe he is too old by now.
How good is his equipment? Is it from the days when you were in diapers?
Old 10-24-10, 09:38 AM
aviator409
Driver School Candidate

yep, its a newer hunter system... I'm starting to wonder if maybe these cars are just ultra-touchy like mikez suggested
Old 10-24-10, 10:16 AM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Ultra touchy
Old 10-24-10, 12:56 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

touchy they are.....avoid potholes and bad roads by all means.
Old 10-24-10, 01:07 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe something could be an underlying problem which is causing the alignment to go out of whack.

I know this was applicable to my 99 Solara which had 230K+ miles before I gotten my IS250. Had an alignment done by Toyota, and the alignment literally went out after within minutes and they said they did not know why and kept realigning it and test drove it fine - not when I drove it thou!

Evenutally they decided to check if all the bolts in the car are tight and found out that the subframe bolts is loose in the car. This would cause the subframe (which is holding the components like the steering, engine and all other parts attached to it) to shift under load when the car is moving on the road unsuspectely causing the alignment to be out.

Last edited by Sango; 10-24-10 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 01:15 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

hmm i never had that happen to my AWD after 26k and 3yr i only had it align once after the dropped it at 10k . NO tire wear at that.
Old 11-16-10, 10:11 AM
Cal1
Driver School Candidate

I was told by Lexus of Portland that I need an alignment based on inner tire wear so I took my IS350 to a local alignment shop (he specializes in sports cars, track cars). I've got 20k miles on this set of tires and showing the typical inner wear pattern.
The first thing the local alignment tech checked for was front wheel travel when stopping. He suggested that if the wheel moves when stopping (slightly rearward), it can cause the type of excessive inner tire wear we are seeing. He indicated that it was easier to see and demonstrate using the vehicle weight when stopping. Speed was about 5 mph. Each front wheel does move, with the driver’s side worse than the passenger's side. I should also point out that tire wear was worse on the driver’s side.
.He then put it up on the rack and proceeded to check alignment. It was within tolerance but on the high side of the negative camber spec. I pointed out that Lexus claims inner tire wear and tire life of about 15 kmiles is normal. He then took a couple of long screwdrivers and flexed the rear lower control bar bushings. He was able to change it and actually move it much closed to the middle of the spec.
He suggested that the stock rear bushing is too soft or perhaps worn, letting the wheel move when stopping. Not so bad as to cause shimmy or noise but definitely enough to cause the type of inner wear we are experiencing. I’m pretty sure Lexus will fight me on this as bushing movement is not very large. Is this type of wheel movement normal for our cars? Funny thing is that the tech writer suggested that I needed an alignment based on the wear pattern, something that he should have known as normal for our cars. Or is it? With no way to adjust negative camber this seems plausible.
Old 11-16-10, 10:24 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up there was a recall on the steering rack, call your local dealer and give them your VIN, they will be able to tell you if the rack was swapped out. This could be why there was a recall on them. You'll even get a free tank of gas out of it.