IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The horror of running over large objects...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 10:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default The horror of running over large objects...

It's hard to describe the anguish of when you see an object you know you cannot avoid, and have to drive over it. Then, the sound of this piece bouncing up and slamming into various underbody parts gives you the deep shivvers. This morning on my way to work, I had no choice but to drive over what looked like a CVT joint or something that holds a truck axle together. Actually, maybe someone can tell me what it was. It was a perfect rectangular metal object, about a foot and a half long and half a foot wide/tall, with four metal prongs sticking out at each edge. It looks like the piece that holds together leaf springs on a truck or bus, or some piece attached to a rear axle. Anyway, I was coming over the summit of a small hill and a Jeep GGC was right next to me. At 42 mph, I had no way around, so off all pedals I went with my fingers crossed I'd clear it. Front airdam makes it over and I'm thinking WOW, I just may make this. Then BOOM, CLUNK, CRASH, times four or five. I look in the reveiw mirror and about ten car lengths went by before the rusty thing pooped itself out. I killed the radio to listen for malfunctions, but everything seemed okay. No warning lights on the dash. Got to work and leaned under the car to look for leaks and damage, but again, nothing. So a day of driving has now gone by and everything seems normal. Is it safe to conclude I dodged a bullet? What's the lowest point of our IS's? Mine is on F-springs, but everything else is stock. I feel so bad thinking what those metal spikes may have done.
Old 09-25-10, 10:47 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's hard to describe the anguish of when you see an object you know you cannot avoid, and have to drive over it. Then, the sound of this piece bouncing up and slamming into various underbody parts gives you the deep shivvers. This morning on my way to work, I had no choice but to drive over what looked like a CVT joint or something that holds a truck axle together. Actually, maybe someone can tell me what it was. It was a perfect rectangular metal object, about a foot and a half long and half a foot wide/tall, with four metal prongs sticking out at each edge. It looks like the piece that holds together leaf springs on a truck or bus, or some piece attached to a rear axle. Anyway, I was coming over the summit of a small hill and a Jeep GGC was right next to me. At 42 mph, I had no way around, so off all pedals I went with my fingers crossed I'd clear it. Front airdam makes it over and I'm thinking WOW, I just may make this. Then BOOM, CLUNK, CRASH, times four or five. I look in the reveiw mirror and about ten car lengths went by before the rusty thing pooped itself out. I killed the radio to listen for malfunctions, but everything seemed okay. No warning lights on the dash. Got to work and leaned under the car to look for leaks and damage, but again, nothing. So a day of driving has now gone by and everything seems normal. Is it safe to conclude I dodged a bullet? What's the lowest point of our IS's? Mine is on F-springs, but everything else is stock. I feel so bad thinking what those metal spikes may have done.
First, check the oil pan for dents. dents in the pan can cause the oil pump to clog. Also check the cats for dents. dents in the cats wont really harm anything but they are easily dentable.
Old 09-25-10, 11:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evogt500
First, check the oil pan for dents. dents in the pan can cause the oil pump to clog. Also check the cats for dents. dents in the cats wont really harm anything but they are easily dentable.
Thanks. Is the oil pan covered with a shroud or is it completely exposed?
Old 09-25-10, 11:33 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Same thing happened to cousin's 2GS. Put a big gash on the gas tank and had to be replaced.
Old 09-25-10, 11:34 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks. Is the oil pan covered with a shroud or is it completely exposed?
The bottom of the oil pan is exposed.
Old 09-26-10, 11:17 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue except it was over a concrete block that 1. I couldn't see (hidden under tall grass) and 2. I had to drive over it. Scraped the plastics underneath but that was it. Ended up getting all the plastics replaced.
Old 09-26-10, 03:09 PM
koalaznbea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got hit by a wheel (rim and tire, 7 lug) that careened from opposing traffic onto my lane. The wheel completely broke off a truck and ended up totaling my car .
Old 09-26-10, 08:33 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran over a 5 gallon bucket on the freeway. cracked my bumper and blew out my entire foglight ohusing
Old 09-26-10, 09:26 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

i ran over a taco bell cup entering a driveway and it got stuck under my car until i parked and it left a huge line from where i entered until where i parked LOL.
Old 09-26-10, 09:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I had a similar issue except it was over a concrete block that 1. I couldn't see (hidden under tall grass) and 2. I had to drive over it. Scraped the plastics underneath but that was it. Ended up getting all the plastics replaced.
I feel ya. When I spotted this object ahead, I made a split second judgement that my airdam would clear it. But I didn't stop to consider just because it would clear the front doesn't mean it would not hit something further back.
Old 09-26-10, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by koalaznbea
I got hit by a wheel (rim and tire, 7 lug) that careened from opposing traffic onto my lane. The wheel completely broke off a truck and ended up totaling my car .
I don't feel so bad all of a sudden. lol Dang!
Old 09-26-10, 09:38 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay I'll fess up.

The most I ran over was a dead body.

Don't ask.
Old 09-27-10, 06:04 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran over debris *metal* on the freeway not too long ago and it actually ended up snapping off a part of the plastic passenger side differential support cover =(

Nothing major, but it sure did scare the crap out of me when it happened! Check your plastic covers under the car to see if any broke.
Old 09-27-10, 08:20 AM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hit a 5 gallon bucket not too long ago, thankfully no damage. I also hit a piece of tire that left black marks all over my GFX front lip and now it's no longer flush with the bumper.

My brother hit a piece of tire with his 2GS and tore off his TTE front lip and the plastic pieces under the bumper and fenders. Got everything repaired and a couple months later hit another piece of tire. This time it chipped off a good amount of paint.

My friend ran over a tire with his G35 and caused $7,000 worth of damages.
Old 09-27-10, 12:31 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to beat me. I ran over a steel ladder.

Quick Reply: The horror of running over large objects...