IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 possible tranny problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 09:30 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 possible tranny problem ?

Hey guys I need some help and wondering if any of you have experienced this before I take it in to Lexus. When braking, mainly a soft braking point I feel a shutter/jolt in the pedels and also you see it in the shifter as well. It doesn't always do it in the shifter, but when it does it's very noticable to the point where it would move my hand under braking. The wheel it self doesn't shake or shimmy at all, I know that normally happens when your pads are down or your rotors are bad. I've changed front rotors an pads before my set up with my Rotora's and still have this issue ... Car is an 06' 250 with 36k on it....
Old 05-26-10, 06:37 PM
jenkerosne
Driver School Candidate

This happens to me occasionally as well. The car shudders while I'm stopped at a light and i see my RPM gauge fluctuating slightly. Today it happened, and (for the first time) my car wouldn't accelerate past 20 MPH and then the check engine light and traction control, and Check VSC lights all turned on. Mine is also an '06 250.. 52k miles. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-26-10, 06:38 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ carbon build up probably
Old 05-26-10, 07:24 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Your issue sounds much different than mine; mine only happens under braking. Nothing at a stopped point, my idle is fine an as well as acceleration

Originally Posted by jenkerosne
This happens to me occasionally as well. The car shudders while I'm stopped at a light and i see my RPM gauge fluctuating slightly. Today it happened, and (for the first time) my car wouldn't accelerate past 20 MPH and then the check engine light and traction control, and Check VSC lights all turned on. Mine is also an '06 250.. 52k miles. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-26-10, 07:31 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blu SC3
Your issue sounds much different than mine; mine only happens under braking. Nothing at a stopped point, my idle is fine an as well as acceleration
Your issue does not sound like a problem. It was discussed in an earlier thread (do not recall what one, but according to it it is just the design of the transmission).
Old 05-26-10, 07:45 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

I'll search for it, but to Lexus if they did make a tranny that did that, the feeling it self just isn't natural braking feeling, but thanks

Originally Posted by darkdream
Your issue does not sound like a problem. It was discussed in an earlier thread (do not recall what one, but according to it it is just the design of the transmission).
Old 05-26-10, 09:13 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

mine does that too. But when i shift into drive from reverse or park, if doesnt grab the gear. So when i gas it, it gives it a nice jerk.
Old 05-26-10, 09:35 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive never had a problem with braking, or any shudder/etc. Nor have I heard it was a known problem. Carbon build-up (shudder after coming to a stop) is the only problem I have heard of that sounds even remotely related to this. You might want to go to the dealer.
Old 05-26-10, 10:05 PM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

it seems i have been experiencing the same issue with my is 350. Ive been lurking around all the message boards trying to find out if someone has felt the samething since im considering taking it in to get checked. its just as you described, a jolt while braking as the car come to a stop, sort of like a rough downshift from the tranny. looks like i might not be the only one with this issue.
Old 05-26-10, 10:51 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

I don't know if this is the same problem but I drivean 08 IS250 MT and while accelerating my VSC and Engine light. I took it in and it went through 2 techs, a master tech and ran the ECU. They found no problems. It's happened to me twice now. If it happens again i'm taking it to corporate office.
Old 05-27-10, 06:37 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention guys, mine is an auto. Which makes me wonder even more
Old 05-27-10, 07:00 AM
smpis350
Driver School Candidate

Have never had this problem before myself...I've had many others but not this one...Just a note, Corporate Lexus will do nothing but take your complaint and send it to the dealer. They have no power to do anything but be a go between. I have had to use the Corporate line before and it really gets you no where...Just more frustration.
Old 05-27-10, 09:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smpis350
Have never had this problem before myself...I've had many others but not this one...Just a note, Corporate Lexus will do nothing but take your complaint and send it to the dealer. They have no power to do anything but be a go between. I have had to use the Corporate line before and it really gets you no where...Just more frustration.

Corporate can do quite a lot actually.

I got a nice big check from them when I complained that my ML without Nav option doesn't have a DVD changer like their web site claimed it did.

I also got a nice free set of illuminated scuff plates when I pointed out their web site says the Sport Package should come with it and mine did not.

(in both cases it's because they have idiots run their web site, but they took care of the issue for me, and pretty quickly too...even paying a local dealer to send someone to my workplace to swap the scuff plates)
Old 05-27-10, 01:17 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our '10 IS250 does the same thing...the gear selector jerks forward or back under certain circumstances (braking,accleration) and at certain times. Shop foreman says its part of the design to insulate against trans/engine vibrations etc by using special rubber mounts etc, but in reality it's causing this unusual and annoying byproduct.
Between the brake squealing and some other assorted issues that surfaced in the first 1000 miles, we are starting to wonder if this car was really a better choice than the 08 328 we had prior to...we'll soon see.

Last edited by 052SI; 05-27-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 03:47 PM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 052SI
Our '10 IS250 does the same thing...the gear selector jerks forward or back under certain circumstances (braking,accleration) and at certain times. Shop foreman says its part of the design to insulate against trans/engine vibrations etc by using special rubber mounts etc, but in reality it's causing this unusual and annoying byproduct.
Between the brake squealing and some other assorted issues that surfaced in the first 1000 miles, we are starting to wonder if this car was really a better choice than the 08 328 we had prior to...we'll soon see.

that's probably the exact same issue im getting, but im almost certain that if i take it in ill get the same answer you got.....plus my factory warranty ran out already...

Quick Reply: IS250 possible tranny problem ?