IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

350's Acceleration faults and top speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 08:59 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i disagree, that our cars are not meant to run at those speeds. i also disagree at the suggestion that a modified vehicle would make a significant difference in the perception of the vehicle at high speeds.

a small part of it may be the vehicle itself, but most of it is psychological.

the reason why it "feels" so unstable is because of the way we interpret the way the car reacts to inputs at that speed. because we're used to a certain way the car reacts to certain inputs at a more pedestrian speed, the discrepancy comes into play when we subject the car to the same steering inputs but at a higher speed and the car reacts differently than what we're used to. the human mind translates the discrepancy and thinks that the car is unstable, and thus we interpret the instability is "scary".

if you drove at that speed every single day, 365 days a year, your mind would be trained to believe otherwise. that's why professional race car drivers are able to handle racing as "another day in the office", because they do it so often (as part of their job) that it becomes second nature.

for the average joe driver in here, we don't have that "second nature".

btw, even a modified vehicle can "feel" unstable at high speeds. case in point, throw the average joe into a race car, and they'll complain about the same high-speed instability.
Old 05-03-10, 09:06 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally find the IS350 to be very stable at 125 MPH. It's planted, stable, predictable, even changing lanes (no other traffic around, obviously).

Definitely got the adrenaline running a little bit, though. I would not dare go above that speed even on a wide open interstate.

Actually these days, I opt not to go those speeds anymore (even transiently). I only did it once or twice to try it out.
Old 05-03-10, 09:48 PM
yilees
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
i disagree, that our cars are not meant to run at those speeds. i also disagree at the suggestion that a modified vehicle would make a significant difference in the perception of the vehicle at high speeds.

the reason why it "feels" so unstable is because of the way we interpret the way the car reacts to inputs at that speed. because we're used to a certain way the car reacts to certain inputs at a more pedestrian speed, the discrepancy comes into play when we subject the car to the same steering inputs but at a higher speed and the car reacts differently than what we're used to. the human mind translates the discrepancy and thinks that the car is unstable, and thus we interpret the instability is "scary".

if you drove at that speed every single day, 365 days a year, your mind would be trained to believe otherwise. that's why professional race car drivers are able to handle racing as "another day in the office", because they do it so often (as part of their job) that it becomes second nature.

btw, even a modified vehicle can "feel" unstable at high speeds. case in point, throw the average joe into a race car, and they'll complain about the same high-speed instability.
I understand what you're talking about but I mean it's not stable compare to the cars that I've driven.
In here it's not that rare to drive over 140mph.
Man, I don't drive at that speed every single day but that doesn't mean it's the first time I drive at that speed. Just the first time with IS350.
That's why I thought it was 'unstable'.
I'm not that hasty.

Last edited by yilees; 05-03-10 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 10:00 PM
yilees
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carLx
I personally find the IS350 to be very stable at 125 MPH. It's planted, stable, predictable, even changing lanes (no other traffic around, obviously).

Definitely got the adrenaline running a little bit, though. I would not dare go above that speed even on a wide open interstate.

Actually these days, I opt not to go those speeds anymore (even transiently). I only did it once or twice to try it out.
You're right. It's so stable at 125mph.
The high speed that I mean is over 155mph.
I know it's of little concern for you, though.
Old 05-04-10, 08:07 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna

Sounds to me like the OP is not just the average joe & you are a armchair quarterback with zero hands on experience in a IS350 @ 140 mph.
Old 05-07-10, 08:12 PM
350police
Driver

Originally Posted by yilees
Nope. Only tiptronics can hold it.
Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just had my IS350 in Sport, ECT Power mode and held 4th gear all the way to redline.

I was "in mexico", so dont start in on me, LOL.
Old 05-07-10, 09:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You "thought" you were in Mexico
Old 05-07-10, 10:02 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clear things up a bit, I have an IS250 and it feels more than fine at 145mph, I don't have a single complaint on stock suspension. I don't mean to sound like I'm some race car driver even if I have some track experience, but I know some friend with an IS350 who's a conservative driver and when he attempts to drive spirited or speeds about 100 the car feels unstable only for one reason, he doesn't know how to control a car at those speeds and the car feels like a whale sliding on oil in a boat. "I'm on a BOAT" <- stupid song stuck in my head. No but on a reality check it's all in the driver.
Old 05-08-10, 01:37 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

nice to see a fellow korean

although i live in australia, im korean, and was born there
my dad lives there, and he has a imported 250, but he did say his looking in a IS-F or a S6 (for the family)
do u know that place in seoul, i dunno exactly where, but its a MASSIVE carpark kinda place
and they sell cars there, imported cars

my dad bought his from there, and i went when my uncle bought his Range Rover, there are some pics i took from there (not ment to take pics, but my dad knows the owner of it or something so i was allowed, lol)

just wondering if u got it from the same place

on the bottom floor they have ferrari's, lambos, mercs, beemers, bentleys etc.

Old 05-13-10, 02:48 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

This was an interesting read.. I've hit over 100mph and it didn't feel like it.. I've hit 120mph on my way to Vegas and it still felt good... Try going over 150mph on a bike.. now that ish was scary...