IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Car almost Killed me tonite.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 06:14 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flektone
Hey if you take the car into the manufacture's dealership and they tell you nothing is wrong, then I guess nothing is wrong, right? You can certainly sell it without having to worry about anything. You have the service documents to prove you took it in and the dealership said it was fine. Your arguement for negligence and intentional harm will not hold up in court.
No, the dealership would only state that whatever issue you were getting check was not evident at the time (which does not mean it is problem free- it just means it was not evident at the time, but still could be there so they document that you stated that issue). When they document the issue there is a record of the person's complaint in this case the steering issue. If you sold it then it would hold up very well in court.
Old 04-16-10, 07:22 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i have the mobile HID kit. The mobile hid ballast are built pretty well. I am not saying that the HIDs are not the cause but there could be something else that could have caused it just cause one person reported the HID lights are what caused his issue, dosen't mean they are all caused by the same thing.

Well the dealer is looking at it right now he is going to get back to me tommorow.

so lets see what happens.
i haven't said anything to the dealer about hid lights being a cause i want to see if the dealer can figure it out. If i tell them then thats a easy excuse for them to blame it on the HID and not look into the problem. So ill wait and let them figure it out.
Old 04-16-10, 08:39 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darkdream
No, the dealership would only state that whatever issue you were getting check was not evident at the time (which does not mean it is problem free- it just means it was not evident at the time, but still could be there so they document that you stated that issue). When they document the issue there is a record of the person's complaint in this case the steering issue. If you sold it then it would hold up very well in court.
You could have a case if the PS light was coming on every other day like the OP stated, ill give you that. But if the PS light comes on and your steering gets funky, you take it in for service and they find nothing. Then it is out of your hands as far as the negligence. So kind of what your saying is if I decided right now to sell my car, and down the road there is an acceleration issue which causes harm to someone I could be at fault? I mean technically who is to say that I never experienced an acceleration issue even though I may have not? no one can prove that...To prove someone guitly you can't speculate, you have to have hard evdidence.
Old 04-16-10, 09:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You could have a case if the PS light was coming on every other day like the OP stated, ill give you that. But if the PS light comes on and your steering gets funky, you take it in for service and they find nothing. Then it is out of your hands as far as the negligence. So kind of what your saying is if I decided right now to sell my car, and down the road there is an acceleration issue which causes harm to someone I could be at fault? I mean technically who is to say that I never experienced an acceleration issue even though I may have not? no one can prove that...To prove someone guitly you can't speculate, you have to have hard evdidence.
You appear the be confused between criminal law and civil lawsuits.

Civil lawsuits have a much lower burden of proof.

That's why OJ was not guilty in criminal court, and guilty in civil court.

But in this case:
But if the PS light comes on and your steering gets funky, you take it in for service and they find nothing. Then it is out of your hands as far as the negligence.
all they'd really need is to subpoena your dealer where you took it in to have it checked... (or lexus in general since they keep centralized records AFAIK)... your asking them to check on a steering problem will be noted in the service record. Bam, preponderance of evidence suggests you knew there was a steering problem and didn't report it when you sold the car. You're boned.
Old 04-16-10, 09:53 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You appear the be confused between criminal law and civil lawsuits.

Civil lawsuits have a much lower burden of proof.

That's why OJ was not guilty in criminal court, and guilty in civil court.

But in this case:

all they'd really need is to subpoena your dealer where you took it in to have it checked... (or lexus in general since they keep centralized records AFAIK)... your asking them to check on a steering problem will be noted in the service record. Bam, preponderance of evidence suggests you knew there was a steering problem and didn't report it when you sold the car. You're boned.
No, I thought there was a steering problem but I guess it was nothing. The dealer couldnt find the problem and said my car was ok and sent me on my way, right?
Old 04-16-10, 11:57 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I thought there was a steering problem but I guess it was nothing. The dealer couldnt find the problem and said my car was ok and sent me on my way, right?
uh... no.

even if the dealer couldn't find the problem does NOT mean that your car was okay. if anything, all it means is that your car has an existing condition that they were not able to duplicate while under their possession for diagnostic/repair purposes.

in spite of such, this does not mean that the problem does not exist. what it does mean is that there was a problem during YOUR ownership/possession and YOU reported it to them; all they did was document your description of the problem, even if they couldn't duplicate the problem and fix it.

the fact that the dealership looked at your vehicle to figure out what was wrong with it means that a service order must have preceded the inspection, and that must have been preceded by a request from the person who brought the car in (most likely YOU). the dealership won't automatically inspect your vehicle for problems they don't know about and/or can't see (if you believe that, then you give them way too much credit, but i digress...). your request for the dealership to inspect your vehicle for a "possible" problem will suffice as evidence of having knowledge that your vehicle had a problem. otherwise, why would you take it in and ask the dealership to inspect your vehicle if you thought nothing was wrong with it?

and in case if you think lexus will stand pat, the lexus dealership and lexus corporate will do everything in its power to indemnify themselves in the event that they some how get involved in this. what will happen eventually is that you'll be responsible for the ugly mess should you choose to pawn off your problem child to some other unsuspecting buyer.

there's something to be said about being a responsible member of society, and unfortunately your attitude and contemplation certainly doesn't reflect that.
Old 04-17-10, 12:03 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM everything, IS350. 21k miles. Never had a problem.

Haven't had any problem, actually.

The only problem I've had is an exorbitant increase in speeding tickets since I've gotten the car.

Actually, I just received a warning letter notifying me that I currently have 4 points on my driving record, and if I get 2 more points I'm going to have to pay some $100 annual surcharge or something of the sort.