IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

condensation/water in headlights... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:20 AM
nirav325
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default condensation/water in headlights... normal?

hey guys.
so ive had this problem a few times now. in my passenger side headlight, water keeps appearing inside. i know this is from the seal being broken and it is A REALLY BAD THING BECAUSE IT MAY CAUSE MY BULBS TO BLOW.

everyone i speak to tells me this is NOT a good thing and I should get it checked ASAP

i have gotten it checked 3 times by my local lexus dealership. and they told me, and i quote "this is natural. it is part of the technology in the light for it to have condensation and water". They also assured me that the bulb will not blow due to this condensation and water. The other odd thing is that this only occurs on the passenger side, NOT the drivers side.

has anyone else come across something like this? or am i being taken for a ride? I asked my adviser to give me a letter in writing explaining the circumstances so that if my bulb does end up blowing, i can show them.

Let me know what yall think!

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Lboogey (08-11-21)
Old 10-20-09, 09:31 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no its not normal go to another dealer
Old 10-20-09, 09:39 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

I have this every now and then but I have holes drilled in the cover for aftermarket hid's..

I actually opened my drivers side one time and found a small puddle of water in the housing. I stuck a paper towel in to absorb it and it went away and it hasnt happened since.
Old 10-20-09, 10:18 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine
no its not normal go to another dealer
Exactly, though I'd be curious to hear what type of 'technology' involves condensation in the headlight...must be similar to blinker fluids.
Old 10-20-09, 10:20 AM
xxjtp1xx
Driver

You might have to buy rubber sealant at Wal-Mart and just fill the edges of the headlights where the glass connects to the housing. It will dry within 20-30mins. Make sure there's no open exposure where water vapor can enter. Btw, if vapor keeps enter, it may cause your headlight to turn nasty yellowish.
Old 10-20-09, 10:27 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

HELL no its not even right for the dealership to tell them this is right. They should either replace your headlight for free or replace the seal ASAP. Check it out, you can do this. Get a heat gun and try to dry the headlight yourself.. After you get rid of all the water let it settle and sit for a couple of hours and then park your car overnight outside to see if their is still condensation. Thats what i did, and it worked perfect. PM me if you need help.
Old 10-20-09, 10:44 AM
boshi
Pole Position

I got condensation in mine from removing the back housing and putting in V-LEDS DRL and not putting the cover back on
I went to my local dealership and they ordered me a new set of headlights ($1600) at no charge
covered by warranty FTW
Old 10-20-09, 11:04 AM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

stealership is an idiot, it's definitely NOT normal!!
Old 10-20-09, 12:28 PM
nirav325
Rookie

Thanks for your input guys. I changed advisers and the new one wanted me to take pics of the problem and then we will go from there. I'm going to push to get a new headlight. but if not at least reseal it...if worst comes to worse i am going to get a letter from the dealership, signed by the "technician", that says this is part of the "technology" of the light. then call lexus corporate and ***** at them.

only problem is that i'm not under warranty anymore.
but i did have this problem a few times while under warranty and they have it documented as i complained about it.
hopefully they will give me a new headlight!!! =D
Old 10-20-09, 01:10 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

^^Yeah Lexus shouldnt have a problem fixing it, if everything was documented before. You should called up LONGO lexus and see what they have to say about this. They're pretty good at taking care of us in CALI. ^^GL
Old 10-20-09, 01:21 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You 2IS guys have this problem too? I thought it was only in the 2GS. This is a ridiculous problem and I'm surprised Lexus hasn't resolved the problem even on the 2IS.
Old 10-23-09, 01:24 PM
nirav325
Rookie

so this is the response i got from the manager at the dealership after I emailed him saying I was extremely dissapointed.

"I’m sorry you feel that you were given excuses, but unfortunately I can not warranty something that has no obvious failure. Yes there have been other cases of clients that have experienced water in their headlight, but this has been cases of standing water and not just a slight moisture. Moisture can develop in any headlight because it is not completely sealed. There are “breather” holes to allow for heat to escape from the headlight. This is why Lexus will not warranty them because of slight moisture. They require standing water in order to qualify for warranty repairs. I’m not sure which one you have personally experienced but I have to show some sort of current failure in order for Lexus to pay for the headlight assembly. Since your car is out of warranty, I would encourage you to contact 1-800-25LEXUS to express your concerns, and they may be able to help more from a Corporate Level. Unfortunately, from a Dealership level this is all I could recommend at this time."

should I NOT be pissed?
Old 10-23-09, 01:33 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aliu603
stealership is an idiot, it's definitely NOT normal!!
+1, I run into some service advisors that tried some BS on me before, talk about being angry !!
Old 10-23-09, 01:42 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
You 2IS guys have this problem too? I thought it was only in the 2GS. This is a ridiculous problem and I'm surprised Lexus hasn't resolved the problem even on the 2IS.
i have moisture in my drivers side headlight on my 3GS
Old 04-30-11, 02:59 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Remove your headlight and place it in closet with a humidifier for 24 hours without the covers. That is how I resolved my headlight condensation issue. You will see a considerable less amount of condensation for a couple of days and then no more condensation. my 2 cents......

Quick Reply: condensation/water in headlights... normal?