IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 07:36 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guardian is probably using Lexus stamped glass. Usually though they have the third-party guy come into the dealership to do the work, not have you go to the third-party.
Old 09-23-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Sorry to hear, man, but the car went 69k miles before the problem showed up. I don't call that a "design defect." It absolutely sucks, but it's not different than anything else that goes wrong after the warranty is up. And, it wasn't just a few thousand miles out of warranty--it was almost 20k over the limit. Their agreement to pay 1/2 was fair.
I agree, reasonable outcome in this example.
Old 09-23-09, 07:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

They'll have someone do the work but if you want OEM glass it's going to cost more than $370. Sewell is cheaper than most dealers and their OEM IS250 glass is over $800

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=77975&all=Y
Old 09-23-09, 08:21 AM
Doco21
Rookie

I agree that the dealer should pay the cost. I am not sure the people who stated that missing a TSB and that it was lifeisgood's fault. I think he meant that even if he was to bring in the car at the right time but out of warranty, they would still charge him 2k to do it.

My personal experience is that it really depends on the dealer. I am fortunate to live by Sewell Lexus and they have been great. (Knock on wood.) They offer free car washes to every car if they bought a car from them or not, they do a lot of little things. When I was in Miami, I took my car in for an oil change and tried to redeem my complimentary coupon. They tried to charge me for "extras" and they got my information wrong 3 times... long story.

I am sorry to hear that but I would talk to corporate or take it to another dealer. The people here are right though, after warranty expires, the Lexus is a cheaper to fix than BMW. I am a big BMW fan but I want the reliability of a Lexus for now.
Old 09-23-09, 08:31 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Doco21
I agree that the dealer should pay the cost. I am not sure the people who stated that missing a TSB and that it was lifeisgood's fault. I think he meant that even if he was to bring in the car at the right time but out of warranty, they would still charge him 2k to do it.

My personal experience is that it really depends on the dealer. I am fortunate to live by Sewell Lexus and they have been great. (Knock on wood.) They offer free car washes to every car if they bought a car from them or not, they do a lot of little things. When I was in Miami, I took my car in for an oil change and tried to redeem my complimentary coupon. They tried to charge me for "extras" and they got my information wrong 3 times... long story.

I am sorry to hear that but I would talk to corporate or take it to another dealer. The people here are right though, after warranty expires, the Lexus is a cheaper to fix than BMW. I am a big BMW fan but I want the reliability of a Lexus for now.
The OP was almost 20k miles out of the warranty, as one previously stated. It's not like he was a thousand miles out of it. And complimentary car washes is a Lexus policy.
Old 09-23-09, 08:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doco21

You can't compare a car wash that costs them less than $1 in water usage charges -vs- a repair costing 1000's without warranty reimbursement from corporate.
Old 09-23-09, 10:03 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

sorry to hear your story...but simply switching from lexus to bmw would not solve your problem....

extended warranty would be a good alternative for the problems....

good luck
Old 09-23-09, 10:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
sorry to hear your story...but switching from lexus to bmw would not solve your problem....

good luck
I agree, that says it in a nutshell.
Old 09-23-09, 10:42 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i think the dealer should pay for 100% of the expense. This is not a normal wear n tear kind of thing. Dont Lexus test the cars out before selling. Its a luxury car, it should have gone through some sort of rigid testing to prevent this type of problem from happening.

I am sure they have a rigid vehicle safety testing process, but what about testing outside the vehicle safety realm.

I do understand there is no such thing as a *perfect* car. I accept the fact that there can be a bad lemon out of a batch of cars produced. In such rare cases, I think it the expense should be covered by the dealership 100%. With or without warranty.

Lexus should do it just cause they are Lexus. "in the pursuit of happiness" is their motto, in pursuit of who's happiness? i guess they are thinking of themselves in terms of happiness.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with Lexus. I would not blame you for looking at other car manufacturers. Good luck to you with the next car you go with in the future.

In the mean time, I am still loving my IS =)
Old 09-23-09, 10:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Pursuit of Happiness is a movie. Pursuit of perfection is the Lexus motto.
Old 09-23-09, 12:32 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

bah... same thing! =)
good movie too
Old 09-23-09, 03:59 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got confused...
It would leak onto my front passenger floor mat. Guess I got lucky and caught it before it did any real damage. I think it should be a recall, If you ask me...
Old 09-23-09, 05:12 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MiiK350
If this was my dealership, they would have paid for it, and taken me out to lunch.
Just for fun, next time you take your car in for service ask them...I think you might be surprised.
Old 09-23-09, 05:17 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
Sorry to hear, man, but the car went 69k miles before the problem showed up. I don't call that a "design defect." It absolutely sucks, but it's not different than anything else that goes wrong after the warranty is up. And, it wasn't just a few thousand miles out of warranty--it was almost 20k over the limit. Their agreement to pay 1/2 was fair.
The mileage is really a non-issue. I consider it a design defect because they are now using a new and improved part. If there was nothing wrong with the original, then why did they redesign it?
Old 09-23-09, 05:28 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickin8
sorry to hear your story...but simply switching from lexus to bmw would not solve your problem....

extended warranty would be a good alternative for the problems....

good luck
Maybe not, but I will feel good about it. I just expected more from Lexus. Had they paid for everything, you would have seen an entirely different reaction from me. Brand loyalty is earned by not just meeting, but exceeding customer expectations. Remember, their tag line is "the pursuit of perfection" not the "pursuit of mediocrity".

Last edited by lifeisgood; 09-23-09 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: My Lexus nightmare