IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

anyone fix their drivers seat discomfort issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 09:10 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

no problem for me so far.....
Old 08-25-09, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also 5'9" and slim, but I think you need to fiddle with adjustments more to improve comfort. Focus more on bottom cushion height/angle/position for improving comfort, that helped for me.

But I know what you mean about long distance comfort not always being the best. If I don't adjust seat correctly, I end up with a sore back. I also have a 08 Mercedes C-class and seat comfort on long trips is excellent without much fiddling with seat adjustments.
Old 08-25-09, 10:00 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

5'11" 145 i'm fine in my seat and i drive on average 350 miles a week
Old 08-25-09, 10:03 AM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 5'6" 130lbs and have no problems with discomfort. The seats are actually very comfortable to me. Maybe you just got some bum seats. Also, fluxx, I almost flicked my monitor when I saw that bug crawling around in your signature. LOL
Old 08-25-09, 10:36 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel you man! I'm 6'0" 190 lbs. and I get upper back pain after about 20 mins. I just can't seem to find a good position. On my car, it seems like the back part is lacking some padding. I also think that the seat ends too quick at the top and the headrest piece starts too low (sorry if I confused people!) so it doesn't support my upper back as good as other cars. I've thought about taking somewhere to change the padding, but I'm afraid they're going to mess up my car! Oh and in case you ask, my car is over 50k miles, so I can't take it to the dealer.

But other than that, I love my car!!!
Old 08-25-09, 10:58 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm so glad I'm not the only one on the forum who finds the seat uncomfortable. 6'4", 195 and I find the seat goes back far enough. It even seems that I have enough head room. It is the way my "behind" / "thighs" fit that is SO bad. I took it to a locally recommended upholstery shop and before they even knew what kind of car I brought in the owner said "You have a new Lexus don't you?" I almost let him work the seat over but I chickened out and now I just suffer on a long trip. Or, we take my more comfortable and I might say more economical new Corvette.

But........I still love the Lexus IS350!!!
Old 08-25-09, 11:39 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gdcheng
I am 5'6" 130lbs and have no problems with discomfort. The seats are actually very comfortable to me. Maybe you just got some bum seats. Also, fluxx, I almost flicked my monitor when I saw that bug crawling around in your signature. LOL
lol good times.
Old 08-25-09, 12:11 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i'm a small guy, 5'-7" 125 pounds.... and i loveeee my seat i sleep in it no problem for hours
Old 08-25-09, 12:21 PM
OH Nasty
Driver

I'm 6'2". 160. I wish the back of the bottom of the seat went down further, and the front up a little more. I feel like I am about to be shot through the front window, its not that bad, but I'd rather not have it that way.
Old 08-25-09, 12:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by irfan
I just cant get comfortable in the drivers seat. ive had my car 9 months, im 5'9" 160pounds, average 30-32 waist so im not a fat ***... but i just can get comfortable in the drivers seat. it feels like im sittin on a thick wallet, but i havent kept a wallet in my back pocket in years. no matter how much i shift, it hurts the right half of my ***!
Have you tried rotating you body outwards a tad? The transmission tunnel forces us to a slight "legs-to-the-left" position and if you don't twist your behind, you may be sitting unnaturally.
Old 08-25-09, 01:25 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

im 5'7" and 195 lbs and japanese. No im not obese, but I am a weightlifter haha. Even with all that weight I think the seats are pretty comfy, the backseats suck for anyone over 5'6'' imo.

Do you drive a AWD? I think i remember seeing in another thread someone saying something similiar to the OP. Something about a certain part getting in the way by thier right leg causing a pain.

heres a link to that thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...p-to-hurt.html
Old 08-25-09, 06:00 PM
irfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Have you tried rotating you body outwards a tad? The transmission tunnel forces us to a slight "legs-to-the-left" position and if you don't twist your behind, you may be sitting unnaturally.
I do notice my knees pointing more to the left when i drive, i just naturally fall into that position when i drive. i'll check to see if im twisting or rotated. Ive never experienced this in any other car... drove my old Saab 9-5 for 17 hours straight with no issue... my old RX8 for 6 or 7 hours and still comfortable (seat wise at least).... Ive been fiddling with the thigh angle for 9 months now, just can find a good spot!

seat cushions already been replaced once, i think its just hit or miss with people and this seat.
Old 08-25-09, 07:54 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

i agree, i'm also uncomfortable with my seat. at 5'9 and 150lbs the back and butt is sore after driving in the IS.
Old 08-25-09, 07:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the jp neck pillows and jp hip pillows... its great no discomfort at all
Old 08-25-09, 10:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,861 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by irfan
I do notice my knees pointing more to the left when i drive, i just naturally fall into that position when i drive. i'll check to see if im twisting or rotated. Ive never experienced this in any other car... drove my old Saab 9-5 for 17 hours straight with no issue... my old RX8 for 6 or 7 hours and still comfortable (seat wise at least).... Ive been fiddling with the thigh angle for 9 months now, just can find a good spot!

seat cushions already been replaced once, i think its just hit or miss with people and this seat.
I've driven my 350 for 25.6 hours straight from Sacramento to Dallas (1704 miles), spent the night and drove 11.5 hours to Atlanta (813 miles) the next day (kids, don't try this at home!) without pain, but it does take some work to find the happy spot, and on long trips I engage cruise and completely relax my legs unless I'm in traffic. And yes, I drove it alone with a car chock full of stuff the movers wouldn't take.

Quick Reply: anyone fix their drivers seat discomfort issues?