IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

springs busting shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 06:57 PM
is-ing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs busting shocks???

Does aftermarket springs bust out the stock shocks? would it be a better investment to get coilovers opposed to springs???
Old 08-05-09, 07:16 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Aftermarket springs will wear your stock shocks faster if thats what your asking. With the stock 2IS suspension, your shocks should last anywhere from 80k-120k+ miles. I've heard the stocks shocks would last around ~60k with Eibach/F-Sport springs (modest 1" drop), sooner if you use lower springs (H&R, Tein).

Coilovers will need to be rebuilt anywhere from 15k-60k miles depending on how you adjust them and drive.

Last edited by Coconut; 08-05-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 06:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Coconut on everything except the mileage estimates. I've never heard of any shock lasting 80K miles no matter what springs are used. It's true that many people may drive around on bad shocks for years and years, but that doesn't mean they really lasted that long.
Old 08-06-09, 10:17 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I have 85k miles on my IS 250 and 75k was with the Eibach Springs. Mind you 95% is smooth highway miles. Everything is settled in for sure and still no bounce.

I figure I'll replace at about 125k when my car is a whopping 4 years old (bought in July of 06')

Do I need another set of springs???
Old 08-06-09, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers certainly make sense for many looking for more extreme lowering.

But you can't justify them financially based on shock wear with lowering springs because it's not a huge difference with moderate drops. The cost of coilover rebuilds also should be part of the analysis anyway, which is not cheap or convenient.
Old 08-06-09, 10:40 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

It's the height of the drop that effects the longevity of the damper, not the stiffness of the spring. Typically, if you drop a car (60/40 for example) on stock dampers, you move the piston range of motion out of the designed range of the shock, shifting high frequency movement to an area not designed for frequent travel (e.g. at or near the end of the shock's travel range). That's what wears dampers faster and why dealers won't often warranty them.
Old 08-06-09, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
It's the height of the drop that effects the longevity of the damper, not the stiffness of the spring. Typically, if you drop a car (60/40 for example) on stock dampers, you move the piston range of motion out of the designed range of the shock, shifting high frequency movement to an area not designed for frequent travel (e.g. at or near the end of the shock's travel range). That's what wears dampers faster and why dealers won't often warranty them.
Probably one reason (of many) why F-Sports from Lexus have the modest drop of 1.0"/0.8" and are recommended by Lexus for use with either stock or F-Sport shocks. The warranty on stock shocks stays in effect with F-Sport springs.

Shock failures during warranty period on Lexus cars are obviously rare and when it does happen there's leaking due to shock being defective.
Old 08-06-09, 11:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sailing217
I have 85k miles on my IS 250 and 75k was with the Eibach Springs. Mind you 95% is smooth highway miles. Everything is settled in for sure and still no bounce.

I figure I'll replace at about 125k when my car is a whopping 4 years old (bought in July of 06')

Do I need another set of springs???
July of '06 was just 3 years and a week ago. If you have been driving that much on smooth highways, then I agree that you probably have quite a while before they will be completely out. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice a significant improvement with new shocks now. Most people don't realize how much their ride quality degrades over time since it happens so slowly, then they get new shocks and are blown away by how much better the car rides. When was the last time that you drove a new 2IS?
Old 08-06-09, 04:40 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Id say springs are a waste of money if you will drive your car for several years, yes you might need to send the coilovers back for revalving but that is alot cheaper than replacing the OEM shocks because yo had springs, so if you are lowering your car and plan to have it long term coilovers is probably a cheaper way to go believe it or not.. Again it all depends on how you drive, I had a car with springs for 3 years but i drove it only about 12k miles every year
Old 08-06-09, 05:10 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coconut
Aftermarket springs will wear your stock shocks faster if thats what your asking. With the stock 2IS suspension, your shocks should last anywhere from 80k-120k+ miles. I've heard the stocks shocks would last around ~60k with Eibach/F-Sport springs (modest 1" drop), sooner if you use lower springs (H&R, Tein).

Coilovers will need to be rebuilt anywhere from 15k-60k miles depending on how you adjust them and drive.
The answer is right here. End thread.
Old 08-06-09, 05:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
Id say springs are a waste of money if you will drive your car for several years, yes you might need to send the coilovers back for revalving but that is alot cheaper than replacing the OEM shocks because yo had springs, so if you are lowering your car and plan to have it long term coilovers is probably a cheaper way to go believe it or not.. Again it all depends on how you drive, I had a car with springs for 3 years but i drove it only about 12k miles every year
Please explain how you have derived this financial justification for coilovers. I've had cars with stock springs and stock shocks, cars with aftermarket springs and stock shocks, cars with aftermarket springs and aftermarket shocks, and cars with coilovers (not in that order). The best coilovers cost over $4K, decent coilovers cost $1500+, and crap coilovers cost $1K+. There's no way that you could spend that much on aftermarket springs and OEM shock replacements. Bang for the buck definitely goes to the aftermarket springs and stock shocks!
Old 08-06-09, 05:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

There is no good financial justification for either setup. Both are expensive over the average life of ISx50 ownership, when compared to stock. The average ISx50 owner keeps the car only 3 to 4 years. Some will claim to plan to keep the car longer, but they often change their minds.

The springs/shocks will be the most economical solution for most for a realistic average ownership period.

Of course there are other reasons (besides financial justification) to justify coilovers for some and springs for others.
Old 08-06-09, 05:27 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

I am going with springs, but I prefer the adjustability of coilovers. I actually almost went with coilovers until I found out about the whole rebuilding thing. I would rather push my stock shock until they bust and then just put one some aftermarket shocks. That, to me at least, will be cheaper and more practical. However, for someone else, that might not be the case. To each his/her own.
Old 08-06-09, 05:39 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

my stock shots died at before ~12k (when i installed my springs), mostly highway miles. i don't have much faith in these shocks to begin with...
Old 08-06-09, 07:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hellasboy
my stock shots died at before ~12k (when i installed my springs), mostly highway miles. i don't have much faith in these shocks to begin with...
Your shocks were defective. Don't overblow the issue.

Quick Reply: springs busting shocks???