IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is my side view mirrow really broken???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 02:54 PM
kuglerax
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my side view mirrow really broken???

I was driving in the city this afternoon and was trying to squeeze in between a car and a parked truck. As I was making my way through the passenger side view mirror hit something on the truck and it snapped into my car (as it was designed to due). However when my wife rolled down the window and pushed the pod back to its normal position, the mirror looked out of place. When we got to where we needed to get to , I took a closer look and it looks like the bottom part of the mirror is not clicked (or connected to the inside mechanism. I am able to lift the mirror up and out and loo inside it the top click are in but I can't seem to figure out if the mirror is broken or not. The motor still works fine, Can anyone please provide some help???? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-07-09, 04:44 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

On the back of the mirror there are four points (square pattern) where it attaches to a plate that is attached to the adjustable remote motor. To detach the mirror you simply pull the bottom two points out by sticking your fingers behind the bottom of the mirror and pull out a couple inches (Out and up simultaneously, pivoting), with your thumbs at the top of the mirror. Maybe the bottom of your mirror has popped out. If you pull the bottom out and up (45 degrees) and look under/in, you can see the top attachment points. They hook in, from the bottom and can be pulled out by pulling the mirror out at that 45 degree angle. There is a white putty that detaches at that angle and there is a wire attached so be careful after the mirror detaches. I found that if you put a LITTLE grease on the bottom attachment points they snap back in easily. Simply stick the top two points back in at that 45 degree angle and pivot the mirror down and snap the bottom points in by holding the top of the mirror while pushing at the bottom (One thumb at the top and the other one at the bottom). You will feel and hear them snap in.

Koz
Old 06-07-09, 05:03 PM
kuglerax
5th Gear

Thanks, Koz.

This sounds exactly like what happened. I will try this tomorrow and report back my findings.
Old 06-10-09, 05:24 AM
kuglerax
5th Gear

Thanks. It's fixed. Now only if I can find the ******* who backed into my car and cracked my grill and and front fender.