IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 06:33 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!

I was cruising down the freeway a couple of days ago, when a rock hit, and made a crack on my windshield... In just a few hours it grew to over a foot and a half long crack (there was heavy rain that day).

Now, AAA is refusing to put in OEM glass, and wants me to put in safelight glass (made by delron). No ppg either, they "denied" it. I was on the phone for 45 minutes explaining the wind-reduction / film in the glass, etc, and they wouldn't budge, saying the safelight glass meets all OEM specifications, and all they have in their contract is to put in glass that is similar to OEM...

Should I believe them, and go ahead with the safelight glass? Or is there something else I can do? Anyone here have safelight? Any ripples or distortions?

Oh, and to get it done at lexus on my own will cost $1400...

Last edited by GiantsFan; 02-24-09 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 06:45 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would fight it...

my friend's 2007 GS350's windshield was roughly $1700 total with labor. He's with Allstate and they paid for it all minus his deductible (comp $100)
Old 02-24-09, 07:01 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to fight it or just accept what they give you.
Old 02-24-09, 07:41 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, most insurance companies use after market glass if it's available. If it's in their policy, there's really not a whole lot you can do to argue the point. Here's one option if you're set on getting an OEM glass. You could find out how much the after market glass is versus the cost of an OEM one, and pay the difference between the two out of pocket to replace with OEM. If not, your only other shot would be if Safelite doesn't have it in stock, and if Lexus does, then you can argue the point that the vehicle is unsafe to drive, and Lexus has it in stock........maybe they'll go for that. Good Luck
Old 02-24-09, 07:54 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

um, no. they aren't allowed to do that. fight the **** out of that. don't settle for anything less than OEM...especially something like that.

i had to get my windshield replaced a couple months back due to a crack, and they tried to get me to put that safelight too....i said "DO NOT put anything other than a LEXUS windshield in my car, otherwise, i will not take my car back." they called my insurance (AAA) and they settled for it w/o any problems.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-24-09, 09:33 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

i had a question on this also. i wanted to get my front windshield replaced and my deductible is $100. if i have lexus fix it for 1400 does my rate go up at all?

also, are there big differences between oem glass and safelight?
Old 02-24-09, 09:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

eh ... they keep saying safelight is "equivalent to OEM". And since my deductable is $500, i'm on my own ...
Old 02-24-09, 09:53 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
um, no. they aren't allowed to do that. fight the **** out of that. don't settle for anything less than OEM...especially something like that.

i had to get my windshield replaced a couple months back due to a crack, and they tried to get me to put that safelight too....i said "DO NOT put anything other than a LEXUS windshield in my car, otherwise, i will not take my car back." they called my insurance (AAA) and they settled for it w/o any problems.

Good luck to you.
Um, yes they are allowed to do that. It all depends on the OP's insurance contract. Most insurers have a clause in the insurance policy that allows them to use non-OEM replacement parts. Ask your insurance company to send you a policy of your contract. If it has that clause, you're screwed. You can fight it if you want, but they still have the policy on their side.

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 10:00 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe threaten to switch insurance providers?
Old 02-24-09, 10:08 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

what brand does lexus actually use?
Old 02-24-09, 10:12 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrIS250

Good luck to you.
I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but I work at a body shop, and if it's the Insurance companies policy to use after market glass, that's what they'll do. You can put up a fight, and yes, sometimes I've seen it work, but for the most part, every Insurance company has different policies when it comes to parts replacements. Many use after market parts and it's listed in brocures and literature. It's just that most people don't read their policies and don't find out until later.

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Um, yes they are allowed to do that. It all depends on the OP's insurance contract. Most insurers have a clause in the insurance policy that allows them to use non-OEM replacement parts. Ask your insurance company to send you a policy of your contract. If it has that clause, you're screwed. You can fight it if you want, but they still have the policy on their side.

Javier
Javier got it right on with his statement. Again, if you're absolutely set on using an OEM glass, ask the shop if you can just pay the difference between an OEM and an Aftermarket. It's not that the shop does not want to install the OEM glass for you, they just have to follow the Insurance companies guidelines if they want to get paid.
Old 02-24-09, 10:25 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

what's the big deal? just get after market glass and pay for it yourself instead of taking it through with insurance. they'll just hike up your premium if you have them pay for it. in the long run it's cheaper to pay for something like that yourself
Old 02-24-09, 10:27 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Since the cost of safelight glass is below my deductible.. I am paying it out of my pocket... $250 for safelight -vs- $1400 for OEM lexus glass (both quotes for parts + labor).

About the clause.. yes... im almost 95% sure its there.... they can use "OEM equivalent"... so unless I want to pay $1400... I have to go with safelight..
Old 02-24-09, 10:59 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shui3000
what's the big deal? just get after market glass and pay for it yourself instead of taking it through with insurance. they'll just hike up your premium if you have them pay for it. in the long run it's cheaper to pay for something like that yourself
Typically comp claims don't affect your premiums.
Old 02-24-09, 11:43 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question

insurance - you get what you paid for ?

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!