IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Impression of IS250 vs. my Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 11:56 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Impression of IS250 vs. my Acura TL

I borrowed my friend's '08 IS250 auto (8k mi) w/18in wheels (sport suspension) last week and just returned it to him yesterday. I was thinking of upgrading to the IS350. Right now I drive an '06 TL auto (30k mi) and I also have an '01 Corvette Z06 as a weekend car.

My impression after 200 miles in no particular order:

1. Power--TL feels more powerful when you get on the on ramp. But for 80% of my driving, I can't tell the difference. Somehow the IS250 actually feels lighter on its feet. Of course the IS350 would make this a non issue. So IS350 would win here.

2. Handling--the IS handles better and feels sportier. Keep in mind that I have OEM Bridgestone EL-42 tires with 30k mi and 17 inch rims. The IS has 18in wheels with better tires and only 8k mi. I pick the IS.

3. Ride--IS wins. Very smooth and absorb bumps very well. Could be that the IS is newer, has less mileage, and better tires. IS also feels quieter. Another one for the IS.

4. Space--if you need back seats, the TL wins. But if you're like me (single no kids), the front is just slightly smaller than the TL. Also, if you're over 5'10", I think the IS might be cramp for you. I'm 5'8" and I had to lower the seat all the way to the bottom just to get 2-3 inches clearance between my head and the roof. So for me, the IS is fine in terms of space.

5. Rattles--none in the IS, even with stereo crank all the way up. I have lots of rattle in my TL. One near the driver window, one in moon roof, one in passenger seat, and a lot in the trunk area when I turn up the stereo. Again, could be the the IS is newer. Yet another for the IS.

6. Stereo--IS hands down. Great sound with no rattles.

7. Luxury--IS seats feels better and the center console looks better. But the TL has better dash and the surfaces on the side door feels better. I give the IS a slight edge on this one.

So even after all that driving with the IS winning most categories that are important to me, I still can't decide. Why? Because of the look.

Sometimes I feel like the IS looks too girly. Having a lot of females own the IS doesn't help either. I guess I can also put on a body kit to set it apart. TL looks more manly to me. If you're a girl, then you're lucky. So I still can't decide on this one. It's probably the hardest decision to make and I might not go for the IS350 just because of this. But overall, I love the IS. I miss driving it already.

Right now I'm thinking of maybe getting better tires for a smoother ride, less noise, and better handling. If that doesn't help, then go with A-spec suspension or 18 inch wheels for a slightly better handling. Although my goal is to keep a soft ride. I have a lowered Corvette Z06 so I don't have a need for rough ride.
Old 12-31-08, 12:04 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like your TL than just keep it. Why waste money on something that you're not completely sure that you like when you're happy with your current car.
Old 12-31-08, 12:10 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

lol another one of these threads...
Old 12-31-08, 12:14 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Stick to the TL if you're on the line
as for the IS looking girly, this has been discussed many times before.
I personally know many girls who drive TLs, and many guys who drive the 2IS
IMO, the IS is a younger man's car, where the TL appeals to an older crowd.
Old 12-31-08, 12:15 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mvlbr
If you like your TL than just keep it. Why waste money on something that you're not completely sure that you like when you're happy with your current car.
You're probably right. I just wanted to share with you guys that the IS definitely has a nice driving experience. It is one heck of a car. If the 250 impressed me that much, I can only imagine what the 350 would do.
Old 12-31-08, 12:19 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELL Y
IMO, the IS is a younger man's car, where the TL appeals to an older crowd.
Well looks are subjective and I've changed my mind in the past before. A few years ago I never thought about owning a GM. But now I love my Corvette. I have to say that I've seen some really nice IS on here. Especially the ones that are dropped and have kits on them. Looks stunning. So I hope I change my mind someday because I love the way the IS drives.
Old 12-31-08, 12:21 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I can tell you this, in my parking lot there is a 325i, z3, ML350, TL, and RX400hl ES350. I get all the looks. Maybe it its the color too!

I drove all the cars in it's class and the TL was not even on the list of my top 3. It was G35, ISX50, 328i. TL was about 6th on the list. I didnt like how it drove but the size was nice because my parents were comfortable when i took them to Dr's appointments. Since i sit in it more then them I got the IS. Hands down the reliability is the best. My co-works TL has been in the shop more in the last year than mine has been since i have owned it in 06.

The girly car has it advantages too. If the woman look at it any buy it it means they are looking at your car and looking at you As a single guy it works out great!!!
Old 12-31-08, 12:32 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slee18
I drove all the cars in it's class and the TL was not even on the list of my top 3. It was G35, ISX50, 328i. TL was about 6th on the list. I didnt like how it drove but the size was nice because my parents were comfortable when i took them to Dr's appointments. Since i sit in it more then them I got the IS. Hands down the reliability is the best. My co-works TL has been in the shop more in the last year than mine has been since i have owned it in 06.

The girly car has it advantages too. If the woman look at it any buy it it means they are looking at your car and looking at you As a single guy it works out great!!!
Good point about girls looking at your car. Definitely an advantage for a single guy. And you're right, most of the time I don't have passenger so I don't really care about back seat comfort. Well, my girl and I sometimes get back there if you know what I mean. But all you need is really dark limo tint!

As for my TL, after two years and 30k miles. The only thing done are oil changes and one recall for something but that only took an hour. So completely trouble free. I used to own an '05 G35 sedan 6MT but it was such a PIA to drive that stick. The most notchy shifter I've ever driven. The Z06 shifter is 10x better IMO. Prior to that I did have an '01 BMW 330Ci coupe. I cannot remember how many time that POS was at the shop. But then again a lot of my buddies have the new BMW and they have been trouble free. Go figure.
Old 12-31-08, 12:48 PM
DrGP
Driver

I don't think the IS250 LOOKS Girly, because it is really not that different from the IS350 which DEFINITELY isn't girly. Throw on a set of good looking 19" rims and a spoiler and the IS250 definitely isn't Girly looking. BUT, the car is does appeal to women as owners. The interior is nice enough looking and well appointed even in base trim. It has a nice ride and comfortable interior. Performance is adequate for most women. Fuel economy is decent. However, where the IS250 fall downs is in performance and handling when compared to the IS350, and other high performance sedans(335i & G37 just to name a few) . Most guys, myself included, would want more HP and a tighter suspension. And that is why Lexus builds the IS350 and IS-F.They don't look that much different(obviously, the IS-F looks much more aggressive) , but they are definitely geared more towards the performance enthusiasts in which men greatly outnumber women.
Old 12-31-08, 02:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL is a nice car, it justs looks a bit strange and the front wheel drive is not a plus from a handling/steering perspective.

I prefer the IS with 18" wheels and the slightly lower sport package suspension. Add the OEM rear lip spoiler and some moderate tint and the car looks aggressive in a subtle way.

But I do appreciate your review. Spending that much time with both cars is always better than a brief test drive. I should probably do a review of the Mercedes C300 vs Lexus IS350 in my garage, since both cars sell into the same market.
Old 12-31-08, 03:37 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Same here...my wife's girlfriend just got a TL not too long ago...I also think this association of women owning more IS series is a misconception.
I never looked back on my decision to own an IS...because I thought it was a "girls" car!....And I was moving on from a NSX to an IS.
Old 12-31-08, 04:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both are great cars and comparable in many ways. Good luck in your decision.

I want to be in your situation and have "true" sports car in the garage and a 4 door sedan as my dd to have fun with.

jns350 I wish I still had the NSX to play with, considering picking up a used one and doing the full comptech set up on it. Its just hard to find a used one that hasnt had damage or some kind of accident. My buddy gets them from the shoots but they have all been in an accident, minor, but I dont want that. I killed mine in an accident on the xpressway Man that car was glued to the road.
Old 12-31-08, 06:52 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrGP
I don't think the IS250 LOOKS Girly, because it is really not that different from the IS350 which DEFINITELY isn't girly. Throw on a set of good looking 19" rims and a spoiler and the IS250 definitely isn't Girly looking. BUT, the car is does appeal to women as owners.
Thanks for the perspective. I spoke with my buddy today, the one that loaned me his car. He said when he and his wife test drove the BMW 3, IS, G35, and TL. She thought the IS was her favorite car for HIM. So I guess just because girls like it doesn't mean it's girly. And yes, put on some 19s, lower it, a nice kit and it definitely becomes a different car.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
But I do appreciate your review. Spending that much time with both cars is always better than a brief test drive. I should probably do a review of the Mercedes C300 vs Lexus IS350 in my garage, since both cars sell into the same market.
That's why I love the CL forum. A opportunity for everyone to share their experience. After all, we are all auto enthusiasts no matter what we drive. So definitely give us a review of what the C300 is like. I have a stereotype that MBs break down a lot. Hopefully your experience was better.

Originally Posted by passnu2
Both are great cars and comparable in many ways. Good luck in your decision.

I want to be in your situation and have "true" sports car in the garage and a 4 door sedan as my dd to have fun with.

jns350 I wish I still had the NSX to play with, considering picking up a used one and doing the full comptech set up on it. Its just hard to find a used one that hasnt had damage or some kind of accident.
I know what you mean. Prior to deciding on the Z06, I wanted an NSX. But they are just almost impossible to find. I picked the Corvette, and specifically the Z06, because it has a very similar proportion to the NSX. I was at work today and saw another NSX next to me. If you ask a girl who doesn't know anything about car, she might even say they are the same car.

It is definitely fun to have a 4D daily driver and a weekend sports car. I actually drive the vette to work about 2 days a week now because I like it so much. And you don't get bored of driving the same car every day. Here's a couple pictures of the Z.

Name:  fc656875.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  166.7 KB
Name:  2cb10141.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  179.6 KB
Name:  f44b5762.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  162.5 KB
Name:  69340ad6.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  115.2 KB

Last edited by mso4; 12-31-08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 06:58 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have a 2007 Acura TL and a 2007 IS250, and i like the IS for the looks and the TL for the room and power, the TL non nav standard features are more bang for you buck then the is250 non nav, you get bluetooth, xmradio,tinted side mirrors.
Old 12-31-08, 07:03 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I say stick with what you got...i see your TL as a DD and they don't need to be special IMO. I do agree that the IS (stock) doesn't look as good as the TL because to me the back wheels look tiny. All else aside, if you're having problems deciding to buy one, then you still like your TL.

Quick Reply: Impression of IS250 vs. my Acura TL