IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: which ones should i buy for my Starfire pearl IS350?
Volk Progressive ME
62.67%
Volk GT-S in titanium gunmetal
26.67%
Save your money
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Volk Progresive ME or Volk GT-S??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 09:06 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check this out. i didnt have a drop on this picture
Attached Thumbnails Volk Progresive ME or Volk GT-S??-bg1.jpg  
Old 12-09-08, 11:07 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are those powder coated stock wheels juice. that looks pretty good.
Old 12-10-08, 06:38 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Are those powder coated stock wheels juice. that looks pretty good.
I took a picture of my car and painted my wheels black on microsoft paint. Its just to get an idea of how its gona look with my Volk GTS Phantom
Old 12-10-08, 08:15 AM
Mtinez_IS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh0gunkid
are the ME's TPMS compatible?
yes they are
Old 12-10-08, 08:22 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
What would be a good offset for the ME. I like the concave look on the rear. I want 19x8.5 and 19x9.5
I hate the stretch tire look. i also dont wanna rub the fenders
The same offset that work on the rest of the Volks will be perfect for the ME's - +35 and +36. Check out PNice972's setup, it's fantastic.
Ive always wanted something dark for a white car, and the ME don come in other colors (I am not gonna power coat $3000 wheels)
and i do want a lip. I have searched for GTS pics overall and all cars that have these have Huge calipers and they are all heavily moded. so i dont knwo how they will look on my simplistic car.
IMO the GTS was MADE for cars with BBK's. You'll find ALL KINDS of 350Z's and NSX's that run GTS wheels for that specific purpose - to show off that bling! The thin 5-spoke design is really showcases the hardware that sits behind the wheel, as you can see from Jeff's (trinityhk) old setup.
WOW, that a deal 4 sure. I called the volk rep in Atlanta they dont even have ME's they have a deal for the GT-F, they have several styles. they look good as well. They have the GTS phantom series in several colors, which looks better than the gunmetal on a white car maybe. So im just gonna drive up there and see what they have, they said that sometimes they have some with tires thay test on cars.
they also have the CE28N phantom on black and formula edition. UGHHH
and RE-30
CE28's don't come in a phantom edition (thank God), only a formula edition and a time attack edition (both white and black). While I'm absolutely in love with the CE28 formula edition, I'm really glad that the special edition wheels that Volk made this year are limited runs, because I don't like them. Just my opinion, but most of the limited edition wheels from Volk this year just cheapen the look of the wheel.
Originally Posted by passnu2
I am working with a local guy and was told the same thingtimes are tough right now
You're going to have an EXTREMELY difficult (read: impossible) time finding someone with Progressiv ME's in stock (even less in 2IS offsets). If you want ME's, you better be ready to wait. It's not just that store or that particular wheel - the economy has had a direct impact on the automotive aftermarket, and wheel retailers are not stocking wheels anymore until spending shows a sign of recovering.
Originally Posted by Sh0gunkid
are the ME's TPMS compatible?
the ME's are fully TPMS compatible. The GTS's, however, are not. This is something for the OP to consider, although this problem can be easily solved by running iForged TPMS adapters.
Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Alright who wants to help me with offsets for 20" Progressive MEs? Thats what i plan on getting.. do they even make it in 20"?

Thanks

p.s: i want them to clean BBK's in the future
When I had my 20" GT-V's, I ran 20x8.5 +43 in the front and 20x9.5 +36 in the rear with 245/30/20 and 275/30/20. You can go a little more aggressive in the front with a 235 tire, but you run the risk of damaging the wheel. Unless you're running a one-piece forged wheel, I'd stay away from running 30 series tires in the front - it just puts too much stress on the wheel (even for Volk, which has some of the hardest lips/barrels in the industry).

As far as which wheel to pick, to me this decision all comes down to whether you want a wheel with lip or not - they both look fantastic! Just keep in mind that the ME's are stronger and lighter (one-piece forged vs. two-piece) and will be more resistant to bending when you hit potholes and the like. Good luck with your decision!

Javier
Old 12-10-08, 09:55 AM
mushybreak
Driver

Great insight Javy!
Old 12-10-08, 10:36 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Only the 1 pc Volks are TPMS compatible. 2 pc Volks are not unless you drill a hole on the inside of the wheel and mount the TPWS towards the inside.

The 2 pc volks are generally heavier than the OEM wheels. They have great lips and features but they are not servicable aside from servicing the centers and repainting them.

If you're looking for multi-piece high quality wheels that are TPMS compatible you may want to check out the wheels made by Tanabe like the SSR and Vienna. They are all TPMS compatible and there is already a fitment available for our vehicles.
Old 12-10-08, 04:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The same offset that work on the rest of the Volks will be perfect for the ME's - +35 and +36. Check out PNice972's setup, it's fantastic.
IMO the GTS was MADE for cars with BBK's. You'll find ALL KINDS of 350Z's and NSX's that run GTS wheels for that specific purpose - to show off that bling! The thin 5-spoke design is really showcases the hardware that sits behind the wheel, as you can see from Jeff's (trinityhk) old setup.

CE28's don't come in a phantom edition (thank God), only a formula edition and a time attack edition (both white and black). While I'm absolutely in love with the CE28 formula edition, I'm really glad that the special edition wheels that Volk made this year are limited runs, because I don't like them. Just my opinion, but most of the limited edition wheels from Volk this year just cheapen the look of the wheel.
You're going to have an EXTREMELY difficult (read: impossible) time finding someone with Progressiv ME's in stock (even less in 2IS offsets). If you want ME's, you better be ready to wait. It's not just that store or that particular wheel - the economy has had a direct impact on the automotive aftermarket, and wheel retailers are not stocking wheels anymore until spending shows a sign of recovering.
the ME's are fully TPMS compatible. The GTS's, however, are not. This is something for the OP to consider, although this problem can be easily solved by running iForged TPMS adapters.

When I had my 20" GT-V's, I ran 20x8.5 +43 in the front and 20x9.5 +36 in the rear with 245/30/20 and 275/30/20. You can go a little more aggressive in the front with a 235 tire, but you run the risk of damaging the wheel. Unless you're running a one-piece forged wheel, I'd stay away from running 30 series tires in the front - it just puts too much stress on the wheel (even for Volk, which has some of the hardest lips/barrels in the industry).

As far as which wheel to pick, to me this decision all comes down to whether you want a wheel with lip or not - they both look fantastic! Just keep in mind that the ME's are stronger and lighter (one-piece forged vs. two-piece) and will be more resistant to bending when you hit potholes and the like. Good luck with your decision!

Javier

there actually is a but load of the ME rims all over. Many have them in stock but its not the "perfect" offset but would look good and they are dealing on them One of the local guys just got a set for his IS and I cant wait to see them. I can get the rears from this guy but the dont have fronts to work for the GS. I fear getting 2 rims and never finding the right fronts but I can order and wait since its SNOWING out now and I wont be able to use them forever You boys have no idea how good you have it being on summer tires all year But I am looking for a wider rim front/rear for the GS and that is where I cant find them. The sizes I want for front/rear are all for the 350z (off the shelf) and its too aggressive of an offset for my taste. The OP has some good options. I like the white with blk rim look and then blk out the roof:thumbup

im just trying to keep up with you crazy guys that change shoes quicker then I can buy them
Old 12-10-08, 06:26 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Well I ordered my Black rims yesterday. they ll be here tuesday. I will see if i have time to take pics because im flying out of town on thursday. so im notsure if ill be able to enjoy the car more than 24 hours. I went with Toyo T1r's.
I havent seen many white cars with Full black rims (no polish lip). Ive opnly seen a few, a mazda speed6 a WRX (sickest WRX ive ever see) and a Lambo LP560 or something. thay all look SICK!!! in person. in pictures they look like they have 4 spare tires on.
Old 12-10-08, 06:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ its going to look sick!!! Cant wait to see it
Old 12-11-08, 08:21 AM
mushybreak
Driver

Whats the difference between Progresive ME & Strahlen ME 2008? Different finish maybe??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
STRAHLEN ME 2008.pdf (245.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 12-11-08, 08:26 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ it looks different. So many rims "look" the same. IMO it boils down to the look and if its a quality product. Many will say its a "nock off" but then again what rim isnt since they all look the same lol...
Old 12-11-08, 08:40 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

WOW that looks exctly like the ME
Old 12-11-08, 10:11 AM
mushybreak
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ it looks different. So many rims "look" the same. IMO it boils down to the look and if its a quality product. Many will say its a "nock off" but then again what rim isnt since they all look the same lol...

These are also made by Rays Engineering..... they are popular among the E90 crowd. They offer a few different color including diamond cut.

http://rayswheels.co.jp/2007/topics/frame_news.html

Old 12-11-08, 01:03 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mushybreak
These are also made by Rays Engineering..... they are popular among the E90 crowd. They offer a few different color including diamond cut.

http://rayswheels.co.jp/2007/topics/frame_news.html

lovin' the diamond cut finish..

Wonder why the market the same wheels under different names.

Quick Reply: Volk Progresive ME or Volk GT-S??