IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sound gone on ML? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 09:26 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound gone on ML? HELP!

Today i was listening to a cd in my IS . It has nav with ML. Suddenly the sound went away and the volume button on the steering wheel did not work. The cd was playing but no sound was coming from the speakers. Everything worked but no sound was coming from the speakers, neither volume buttons on steering wheel worked.

I tried changing cd, changing sound settings, everything, until i turned of the car and re-started and the radio worked fine. I find this weird, happened to 2 times on the same song.

Does ML have a system the cuts the sound to prevent damage to the speakers?? (i was listenign to a song with lots of bass and kind of high volume)

Has this happened to anyone else?
What could be the problem, or is this normal to prevent damage?

THANKS!!
Old 11-07-08, 05:25 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's happened to me a couple times too... Not sure why it does it but turning the car off and back on works... It hasn't happened again in at least a year though
Old 11-07-08, 05:59 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

This happened to me before and I brought it to the dealership and they said it was the amp. The weird thing is they replaced it and it happened like 1 or 2 more times but hasn't in a while.
Old 11-07-08, 07:38 AM
is350drive
Lead Lap

wow this is wird! has anyone else expirienced this??
does someone know what he prob. is?
Old 11-07-08, 07:56 AM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

hmm, i havent experienced this prob
Old 11-07-08, 08:07 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

When i first bought my car the same thing happened. everything would shut off. so id have to turn off the engine and re start than it works agian. it happened to me at least 4-5 times the first yr i had the car. hasnt happened since though. hope it stays that way.
Old 11-07-08, 08:23 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

same thing happened to me..luckly there was a lexus dealer in the area. i drove over to the dealer and showed them the problem i also made sure they noted it the computer. i'll bring it in if happens again.
Old 11-07-08, 11:32 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Its probably overheat protection on the amp causing it to cut off.
Old 11-07-08, 11:35 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How loud are you guys pounding the system?

If it is very bass heavy and you are listening at a high volume, then more than likely its the amp.

Also ambient temperature will also play a roll. If the car has been baking in the sun for a while and the temp outside is higher, this will make the amp work extra hard.
Old 11-07-08, 12:34 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcho82
How loud are you guys pounding the system?

If it is very bass heavy and you are listening at a high volume, then more than likely its the amp.

Also ambient temperature will also play a roll. If the car has been baking in the sun for a while and the temp outside is higher, this will make the amp work extra hard.
I've had it shut off on me with the volume at 20 just pulling out of my driveway on a nice cool night...
Old 11-07-08, 01:54 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. that sounds like a problem then. Amp probably needs to be replaced.

Seems like these ML systems have had all sorts of issues.

My first IS, I had the AMP replaced, had the Navi unit replaced, had both front door midranges and woofers replaced. All sorts of weird distortion was going on.

On my current car, I've had to get the sub replaced, and my doors are rattling like crazy. I think its time to dynamat the entire thing....
Old 11-12-08, 12:05 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey all - are you experiencing the other related items... no "beep" when turning temperature up or down? Or, when using bluetooth, the people on the other end of the call can hear you, but you can't hear them? Or, the radio doesn't work at all when you start the car in the morning, but eventually comes on? If you don't have these issues, you may soon... or you could be fortunate enough not to.

I have an '06 IS350 with Nav, ML and dealer-installed XM. I used to be able to turn the car off, wait a few seconds, then turn back on to a working radio, however the problem just got worse where "restarting" my car didn't do a thing for the stereo.

I had other issues with the Nav, so the dealer replaced it a couple weeks ago thinking this would solve all the problems, however it didn't cure the radio problem. Yesterday the dealer replaced the Amp, and I was not quite a half mile from the dealer before it stopped working.

Question for all of you: do you notice that before the sound goes out the system essentially locks up? When listening to XM and the system locks up, I can't turn the volume up or down, and can't change stations. Then, the radio automatically goes to AM where I can then change between AM, FM, CD, but not XM... and never have any sound.

The dealer is stunned, and not sure where to go at this point. I personally think it's related to the XM add-on and not the amp given the issues that come up. Also, I rarely listen to the radio louder than 15-20 setting.

If it was the amp over heating, there's no way it could cool off in 2 seconds by turning the car off, then back on. And, the fact that I have a new amp and Nav and still have this problem proves more.

Based on signatures for those that have already posted, the problem occurs with similar radio/nav setups as mine, however wondering if all of you have XM???
Old 11-13-08, 06:39 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

My first thought was the amp overheat protection. This is what I believe is happening to some. The others that have had the amp replaced and it continues to cut sound perplexed me. I think it may have something to do w/ the bluetooth and phone. When you get a call on bluetooth it cuts sound from the radio. It may be that the bluetooth is activating and cutting sound to the speakers. Maybe a problem w/ the bluetooth.
Old 11-13-08, 11:18 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I considered that bluetooth could be an issue, so I stopped using it a couple months ago and disabled it on my phone so I don't inadvertently engage it in the car. What's been happening to me lately is that when I start the car, nothing works even though I can scroll through AM, FM, or CD (no XM).

I wonder if there's more to the bluetooth though. As in, wonder if I do have it turned on my phone and just don't use it, but rather "transfer call" back to my phone whether the radio works. I'll give it a shot after work and report back, but sure this is a stretch.

Anyone know where the dealer typically installs the XM receiver? Is it in the trunk somewhere? I may try to disconnect it to see if that does anything for me.

I have 70 mile, all highway, commute each way to/from work and singing to myself is proving to be a bad option... have to get this thing working again.
Old 11-13-08, 11:50 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is350drive
Today i was listening to a cd in my IS . It has nav with ML. Suddenly the sound went away and the volume button on the steering wheel did not work. The cd was playing but no sound was coming from the speakers. Everything worked but no sound was coming from the speakers, neither volume buttons on steering wheel worked.

I tried changing cd, changing sound settings, everything, until i turned of the car and re-started and the radio worked fine. I find this weird, happened to 2 times on the same song.

Does ML have a system the cuts the sound to prevent damage to the speakers?? (i was listenign to a song with lots of bass and kind of high volume)

Has this happened to anyone else?
What could be the problem, or is this normal to prevent damage?

THANKS!!
The Amp just heat up, so as a safty feature to avoid the amp or the fuse to burn it shuts down, and that is a normal thing specially if you are playing your music in extremly load music for a long time.

No need to take it to the dealership. Just trun the car off and on again and the computer will turn the amp on again.

Quick Reply: Sound gone on ML? HELP!